Festive 500 in a oner?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Festive 500 in a oner?

Post by Richpips »

I hear you can Zwift your #festive500 this year which reminds me of a challenge that we've not done.

500 Km in a oner.

Super quiet roads, or easy off road. What do you say?
In Reverse

Re: Festive 500 in a oner?

Post by In Reverse »

I know a couple of roadies who do/have done it on a oner. (one-er?)

Zwift would be pretty dull, unless the Christmas telly is going to be particularly good this year.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

In Reverse wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:55 pm I know a couple of roadies who do/have done it on a oner. (one-er?)

Zwift would be pretty dull, unless the Christmas telly is going to be particularly good this year.
A Highland Trail veteran Bas Rotgans was in a group who did it first back in the day in cack weather.

https://vimeo.com/83397896
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Stop stealing my ideas!! :grin:
I have a route and plan in mind. As flat as is reasonable around here, but still 5500m climbing.
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

I did it last year Audax Bristol-Cambridge-Bristol between Christmas and new year.
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Believe there is an audax called full fat festive 500 that takes advantage of the main roads being unusually quiet that time of year.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Seems like there's a rush every year to be the first to post up that they've done it. And now you can Zwift it? :smile: Someone will do it won't they..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is 'riding' it indoors on a trainer really entering into the spirit of things*?

*I appreciate it may actually be harder and require a greater degree of mental fortitude. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

jameso wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:37 am Seems like there's a rush every year to be the first to post up that they've done it. And now you can Zwift it? :smile: Someone will do it won't they..
The one thing I thought was brave for Strava/Crikey, how much was that it was only outdoors. The whole point originally was that it got people outside riding in winter weather (yes, Southern Hemisphere are lucky).

Franky takes the pee that it can be done indoors. It should be a different trophy/award.
I like Zwift, use it from November through Winter but it is open to abuse and cheating is common and devices/trainers are so different it isn't accurate.

/rant over.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I iinterperated the option to do it indoors was to allow those under strict Covid-19 restrictions to take part. Hats off to anyone who can do either in my book.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:40 am Is 'riding' it indoors on a trainer really entering into the spirit of things*?

*I appreciate it may actually be harder and require a greater degree of mental fortitude. :wink:
Stu... looks like its being actively encouraged by the people at cRapha... Not for me personally but seems much of the world likes indoor riding (based on Strava stuff)...
jameso

Post by jameso »

The whole point originally was that it got people outside riding in winter weather (yes, Southern Hemisphere are lucky).
I expect it was about online engagement in the first place, the rush to be up on the leaderboard is a sign of how well that works now so the more that can engage the greater the marketing benefits. I expect the Zwift bit is good for those who live at 2000m in Colorado etc. Let their conscience (or the community who engage with this) be the judge of the location of the miles eh... And good point RE restrictions, that's a responsible thing for the brand to do.

I was going to mention that I though the point was to get people out generally over that period, to keep ticking over, so to do it in one ride also seems a bit off-intent to me ; ) but hey why not, I'm not meaning this as being critical. It's all good just like doing a long audax at that time of year. Whatever motivates you to get out. I used to ride home to my parent's place years back as a way to get a couple of long rides in around that time and avoid festive cabin fever.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I iinterperated the option to do it indoors was to allow those under strict Covid-19 restrictions to take part. Hats off to anyone who can do either in my book.

Obviously things could change but I thought all under lock-down were free to cycle within certain limitations?
jameso

Post by jameso »

If we're talking about the mental challenge of riding I think this is one that requires an ability to engage with a virtual world that I just don't have/understand. Maybe I lack imagination :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe I lack imagination
Surely it's the other way round. Plonking your arse on a trainer requires little imagination but devising a route or routes outside does. Given any covid restrictions and that requirement increases. :wink:
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

COVID and travel restrictions are just an excuse to allow it to happen indoors :roll:
They just need to have 2 separate awards, one indoors and one out. I am sure there would then be people who try and do both.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Surely it's the other way round. Plonking your arse on a trainer requires little imagination but devising a route or routes outside does.
I mean, the imagination that lets you engage with something like a computer game for 20-24hrs :grin: I'd need to be dosed up like a Timothy Leary experiment.
jameso

Post by jameso »

jameso wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:37 am I'd need to be dosed up like a Timothy Leary experiment.
Now there's a Zwift first for the taking.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

jameso wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:37 am
Surely it's the other way round. Plonking your arse on a trainer requires little imagination but devising a route or routes outside does.
I mean, the imagination that lets you engage with something like a computer game for 20-24hrs :grin: I'd need to be dosed up like a Timothy Leary experiment.
I’ve used Zwift in the past, I think you’re looking at 13-15hrs riding to cover 500km

The weathers and roads are perfect every day, and there’s usually someone to draft even if you don’t join a group ride.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Zwift F500. My take on this is no one knows what things will be like at Christmas. Could be better, could be worse. Either way my take is zwift/r@pha/strava are just encouraging people to get on with it whichever way suits. They did the same during early lockdown adding Zwift miles to personal challanges

Like every Strava thing always took it as a personal challange. Not really bothered what other riders get up to. If someone cracks out 500km on Zwift fair play to them. Its easy enough to do outside or in. If want a big old challange crack out a double :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Piemonster wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:27 pm
I’ve used Zwift in the past, I think you’re looking at 13-15hrs riding to cover 500km
I know next to nothing about Zwift, but this confirms to me that it's absolutely nothing like riding a bike :lol:

Fair play to anyone who does 500km on turbo trainer though. Not for me, but it's up to you how you spend your time.

Having separate awards for on a computer/in the real world seems like a fair way to do it, but I won't get upset about it because I'll probably, like most years, think about doing it and then realise it's quite a good week to spend more time doing bugger all, given I ride my bike quite a lot the rest of the year :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm sure it would be possible to set up a trainer with minimum resistance and then just have an electric drill attachment turning the wheel/axle.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I know next to nothing about Zwift, but this confirms to me that it's absolutely nothing like riding a bike :lol:
Imagine being in a fast Sportive in perfect weather and perfect roads and you’ll have an idea for the virtual pace.

It’s been incredibly useful to me in the past, injuries, time pressures, that sort of stuff.

And of course, watts are watts. So if you use it properly (racing/structured workouts) you will make gains.

But yeh, sod all like a mid winter solo century ride in crap weather.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:03 am I'm sure it would be possible to set up a trainer with minimum resistance and then just have an electric drill attachment turning the wheel/axle.
You’re under thinking what’s possible :grin:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2540973049500385
robbie

Post by robbie »

Richpips wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:26 pm I hear you can Zwift your #festive500 this year which reminds me of a challenge that we've not done.

500 Km in a oner.

Super quiet roads, or easy off road. What do you say?
Are you putting a route together Rich? I could be tempted to have a go especially with some company.