Which filter?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Which filter?

Post by JohnClimber »

For UK use

Which filter my Sawyer is very slow, but is it the best for healthy water?

What about
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 0-6l-p7645

Of the MSR trailshot or stick with my Sawyer mini filter
Verena

Re: Which filter?

Post by Verena »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:08 pm For UK use

Which filter my Sawyer is very slow, but is it the best for healthy water?

What about
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 0-6l-p7645

Of the MSR trailshot or stick with my Sawyer mini filter
On the WRT I met and joined a group of walkers skulking around the Blue Bell in Llangurig trying to blag a coffee and a toilet in the morning. They told me about the Sawyer and said it's the best...after a bit of research which sounded like they were right I bought one... haven't used it a great deal yet but so far so good...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

My sawyer is slow and the bags split without much pressure....

Still happy with the results as far as filtering goes.
Al

Post by Al »

Have you thought about using a steripen?
I switched to one a few years ago after getting fed up with filters failing and clogging despite following all the instructions about regular backflushing,etc.

STERIPEN Water Purifier's Adventurer Opti UV https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M3SOJIG/ ... UTF8&psc=1
RIP

Post by RIP »

^. And the best bit is because it's not a filter you still get to keep all those lovely chewy bits of sheep poo!

(Trailshot user too here)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

All small / light filters can struggle a bit with flow rate - the key to keeping them tip top is regular cleaning as per instructions. I used a Sawyer for a good few years but switched to a TrailShot as I like the fact that it's easier to access water from puddles, holes, etc.

Have you looked at one of the filter bottle options John? Seem to suit some folk.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Al

Post by Al »

RIP wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:21 am ^. And the best bit is because it's not a filter you still get to keep all those lovely chewy bits of sheep poo!

(Trailshot user too here)
I tend to only go for clear, flowing water so it’s never been an issue and I’ve yet to be sick.
I guess if you thought this might be a problem a simple pre-filter through a buff would remove any ‘chunks’ but I’ve never felt I’ve needed to.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I was pushing it as an advantage rather than a disadvantage :smile: . Love my Steripen. Agree with Stu about the bottles though - BDS has a good one.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

I bought one of these for the BB200. Only used it once, flow rate is excellent
& it’s extremely light at 57g

https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/14946-801 ... e-0.6L_usa https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/14946-801 ... e-0.6L_usa
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep that's the one BDS has got. Guess a little more care needed with potential contamination with bottles though?

trob6

Post by trob6 »

I have a trailshot and the Be Free, I prefer the Be free its smaller lighter and quicker and you can use it for water storage as well. If you clean it with warm clean water when you get home the filter stays tip top.
What's the worst than can happen?
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I use a Hydroblu, similar to a Sawyer but with a better flow rate.

Regular back flushing is key to keeping these little filters flowing. The rubber tap attachments work well for a good blast through.

And don’t let them freeze overnight or they need to go in the bin
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

switched to a TrailShot as I like the fact that it's easier to access water from puddles, holes, etc.
I have one for the same reason

that said this is the Uk so the times you wont be able to find an actual river/body of water are very infrequent IME

What put me off those bottles was concern about how easy they are to get in and out of a stem cell given they are flexible. I could see a half empty one collapsing into the cell for example ut I have not used one.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I've always used a Sawyer Squeeze. I've used it to filter water from cow ponds in New Mexico where the water was poop soup with no ill effects. Yes the filter soon slows in flow rate but regular back flushing keeps it going fine. Yes the bags have a reputation for being a bit fragile although I've no personal experience with them as I always used to just screw the filter direct to the top of a mineral water bottle from the supermarket. ( Smart Water bottle for preference but I think the thread in the UK is no longer compatible)

These days I use the included attatchments to produce a gravity filter using a CNOC 2 liter bag and a 1 or 1.5 liter mineral water bottle which fit in my stem bag.

Don't get the Sawyer mini. Their flow rate from new is terrible and the Sawyer Micro very quickly becomes equally as bad.

I'd always advise filtering water unless its coming directly out of the rock where animals have no access to it. I've caught Giardia twice in Scotland. One because I'd lost the 'O' ring from my Sawyer and dirty water was bypassing the filter and the second time was this summer when I can only think it was sheep sub standard contamination on my bidons.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have a Sawyer Mini and a Trailshot.

The Trailshot is more user-friendly and quicker. It's considerably heavier though (about twice inc. a flexi bottle for the Sayer I think).

I tend to take the Trailshot if I know I'm going to need to use it multiple times and filter larger amounts for overnight stops. If it's just in case I need to top up between resupply points, or don't want to carry a lot of water, I'll take the Sawyer.
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

I had a trail shot that failed at a crucial point, ruining a trip. Switched back to a Sawyer filter, but with Cnoc bags. Much better system, just remember to back flush filter after every use if not filtering really clear water. The advantage of the high quality Cnoc bags is that you can use them as a water transporter. The Sawyer bags are useless.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Had a be-free for a couple of years now , think it was brown dog after the wrt the other year who compared the flow rate to his trail shot , the be free filled at nearly 3times the rate( when decanting I not other bottles) plus if you wanted there’s a 1l flexible bottle you can swap out for the .6 l bottle
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I've got a Water-to-Go bottle on test and it is the only bottle that I am aware of that fits into a standard cage.
Not perfect in the overall design, but better than any other solution IMO for use when riding. Full test going up on road.cc next week.

Info here:
https://watertogo.eu/product/75cl-active-bottle/

I had previously adapted a Lifestraw Go bottle, using the filter and screw lid into a Lezyne water bottle, but it wasn't a perfect fit. Better than anything I had tried before it though.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The befree is brill. Faster than others I've used, rolls up to a small size, can be used as a bottle to drink from itself and none of the waiting like with tablets.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Full test going up on road.cc next week.
I thought roadies only drank Evian or unicorns tears.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

mattpage wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:50 pm I've got a Water-to-Go bottle on test and it is the only bottle that I am aware of that fits into a standard cage.
Not perfect in the overall design, but better than any other solution IMO for use when riding. Full test going up on road.cc next week.

Info here:
https://watertogo.eu/product/75cl-active-bottle/

I had previously adapted a Lifestraw Go bottle, using the filter and screw lid into a Lezyne water bottle, but it wasn't a perfect fit. Better than anything I had tried before it though.
There is also the WaterWell™ Travel Ultra which fits in a cage. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Had a befree on the TD great until I lost it.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Richpips wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:53 pm There is also the WaterWell™ Travel Ultra which fits in a cage. I wouldn't recommend it though.

That looks almost identical to the Lifestraw Go bottle with hard plastic?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Thanks all for your input.

I think I'll try the Be Free system, I'll ask Santa for it as we won't be going anywhere before then anyway
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I have a spare Befree 0.6L that I bought when I thought I had lost one but then found it again! It has filtered about 5 litres so is practically new.

I also have an MSR Tailshot which has filtered about 25 litres and still in good condition.

Both for sale. - If interested, please message me.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

mattpage wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:59 pm
Richpips wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:53 pm There is also the WaterWell™ Travel Ultra which fits in a cage. I wouldn't recommend it though.

That looks almost identical to the Lifestraw Go bottle with hard plastic?
Hard plastic. yes/ I can honestly say I couldn't design a shitter filter for attracting craap into it's "protective" nozzle, and a breather hole that if you forget not to invert the bottle to drink, will tosh unfiltered water in your face.