shimano mw7 size wise

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cocker

shimano mw7 size wise

Post by Cocker »

about to order some mw7,and just wondering how they size up?
i'm normally a 45 in cycling shoes,but my last winter boots(bontrager)have always felt tight.

thanks
lune ranger

Re: shimano mw7 size wise

Post by lune ranger »

Found mine to be fairy true to size. In the past Shimano boots felt pretty narrow, my recent experience is they are a bit roomier in the toe box
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

True to size. I'm in 44.5 with them and my mw5... I usually wear 10 to 10.5 in five10s or adidas
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Personally I'd go a size up to allow for a good sock combo for winter & something else to take into consideration is the MW7 is a leather kinda shoe/boot and when wet become a heavy boot and the velcro straps can become non sticky as they get muddy and wet, I had a pair a while back they work okay for the cold but ended up switching to the Northwave boots as they are lighter and Gortex and the boa lace system works 10x better than the velcro straps imo
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

MW7 isn’t a leather boot. Totally synthetic, are you thinking of XM9 which is a leather hiking boot style.
WSC
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:33 pm MW7 isn’t a leather boot. Totally synthetic, are you thinking of XM9 which is a leather hiking boot style.
My bad, was thinking of the MW80 boot from a while back, but still aim for a size up for a good sock combo
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I sized up, can wear a proper warm sock if needed, but could have managed my normal size
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I bought a pair of MW7s last year and went two (metric) sizes up as my previous Shimano shoes had been narrow fitting and a bit tight and I wanted to wear thick socks in the MW7s. It was a mistake, they were huge and I had to send them back and exchange them for a pair that were only a half size bigger than normal. The fit on more recent Shimano shoes is definitely more generous than it was on the older models.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

My mw5s in size 45 are a bit snug with winter socks, my MT7 in size 45 are a bit tight in anything but the thinnest socks, my GR7 in size 45 are perfect in normal socks and my XC in size 46 are fine in normal socks. My advice would be to buy in store or from somewhere that does really easy returns and buy a couple of pairs to experiment.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:12 pm My advice would be to buy in store or from somewhere that does really easy returns and buy a couple of pairs to experiment.
This is good advice if you're at all unsure. I had to faff about returning the ones I bought and any saving that I'd initially made by mail ordering them was cancelled out by the extra postage that I paid (that was from Tweeks who I'm not sure whether I'd buy from again as the return process was a PITA).
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I went up a size with my mw5s purely for thicker socks
Bds has the hiking boot type and he wishes he’d gone up a size in those to , if that’s any help
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Jurassic wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:51 pm The fit on more recent Shimano shoes is definitely more generous than it was on the older models.
That's my recent experience of ME7s.

Advice to shop in person is good, if you can.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As a side note, I highly recommend these to go with MW7 or similar boots:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gripgrab-cycli ... zYEALw_wcB

They add an extra level of storm proofing. With just the boots any sock above the cuff simply wicks moisture into the shoe. These prevent that from happening. You do get damp socks from sweat but not a soaking even if you are a sweaty barsteward like me :-bd
WSC
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:31 am As a side note, I highly recommend these to go with MW7 or similar boots:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gripgrab-cycli ... zYEALw_wcB

They add an extra level of storm proofing. With just the boots any sock above the cuff simply wicks moisture into the shoe. These prevent that from happening. You do get damp socks from sweat but not a soaking even if you are a sweaty barsteward like me :-bd
Yes, I was initially quite disappointed with my MW7s until I bought a pair of Gripgrab gaiters after a recommendation on here. They work very well to prevent water running down your leg and into the boot.
Scud

Post by Scud »

i bought a pair of MW7 last week and say that they size a little big, in that i am a 44, and bought 44 and have room for Woolie Boolie merino thick socks, fine, i really like them, very comfortable and have stood up to mud and rain so far.
faustus

Post by faustus »

another thing to consider is I think Bontrager shoes come up small, my pair are larger than I would normally need and fit well....
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Cocker wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:55 pm about to order some mw7,and just wondering how they size up?
i'm normally a 45 in cycling shoes,but my last winter boots(bontrager)have always felt tight.

thanks
I'd get the 45. I'm the same and sized up to 46 and they're massive. :lol:
Cocker

Post by Cocker »

thank for your replies