os Maps and rights of way

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

os Maps and rights of way

Post by woodsmith »

During this never-ending pandemic I've been spending countless hours plotting routes on RWGPS using the OS maps available on Bing maps. On the below map the route shown by green diamonds ( OS key = recreational route) but has no indication to say whether it's a footpath or bridleway. Is there any way to tell? It appears that not all local authorities have their definitive map online. Image

In another instance the track known as the Long Drag north of Allenheads has no indicated ROW on the map yet a guick Google search finds several blog posts of people hiking and biking it. Can it be assumed that if it's not marked as a ROW on the OS map then its not open to public access?

Edit For clarification of the second point
Last edited by woodsmith on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodsmith

Re: os Maps and rights of way

Post by woodsmith »

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

i give up. cant post the image for some reason.
due

Post by due »

On imgur if you right click the image itself and 'copy image location' (on Firefox at least) then paste that.

Interested in the answer also!
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

There is a bridleway running NE from Allendale to Broadwell/Whitley chapel, the BW is labelled Briad way on OS maps. The BW runs alongside a track at first, the track then peters out and BW continues. At Hangmans hill the the track returns, but it diverges NNE and becomes the Long drag, where the BW remains as Broad way heading NE.

The BW is a ROW open to cycling. The track is not a ROW but people ride it. Rule 1 applies, the track is used for grouse shooting so keep out of the way when shooters are up there.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I would say that the route in the photo with green diamonds is not a right of way. It is on Access Land though, so there is a right to roam (but not with a bike) and hence the walkers on the Dales High Way can legitimately walk there.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've wondered about this as well. A quick google found this info on the OS website

Recreational route

These are routes created by local authorities, Government agencies or volunteer organisations. They mainly follow existing rights of way and are signposted typically by whichever organisation created the route. If the route is also an existing right of way it will be maintained by a local authority. Any sections that are not part of existing rights of way may be maintained by the corresponding organisation. Local authorities give us permission to show these routes, but they may not actively promote the routes or give them priority over other rights of way.

From here https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2 ... ts-of-way/

So from that I assume the routes were agreed with the land-owners. There is no indication that riding is allowed, and it's probably not as these are walking routes in my experience but apply Rule 1 and you should be ok.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

NewRetroTom wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:38 pm I would say that the route in the photo with green diamonds is not a right of way. It is on Access Land though, so there is a right to roam (but not with a bike) and hence the walkers on the Dales High Way can legitimately walk there.
Well spotted :-bd I'd missed the shading for the Access Land at the top of the image.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As said, if you consider them to be walking aceess only then you won't go far wrong. My experience is that there's often a BW close by anyway.
May the bridges you burn light your way