Groupset advice for new bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Martin B

Groupset advice for new bike

Post by Martin B »

So my better half has authorised me to get a new bike for my 40th birthday next year.
I'm looking to replace my road bike with something a bit more relaxed for touring (road, cycle path, canal path, light off road), weekend blast and commuting.

I've had a look at the Sonder Camino Ti (I've already got a Sonder Transmitter and very happy with the quality and price). What I'm looking for info about is what groupset to go for for my intended use -Shimano GRX vs SRAM Rival vs SRAM Force 1?

And if Shimano GRX should I go for 1x11 or 2x11?

I've tried to read reviews but my head hurts and would appreciate the knowledge of some Boners.

Thanks in advance.
ton

Re: Groupset advice for new bike

Post by ton »

if i were building a bike for touring and the stuff you described, i would steer well clear of 1 x stuff.

i tour and i find the best set up is still a 3 x 9 set up. it is loads better than 1 x stuff.

my touring bike is ridden 20 miles daily. the set up on it now has been running since may 2019. it has needed no spannering.

on my ecr bike with 1 x 11 sram, the press fit bb lasted 2 months of not much riding.

on my now sold trek mtb, bought last november. fitted with 1 x 12 shimano, the rear mech packed in a month ago. i had to replace the mech, cassette and chain to sell the bike.

i have just bought 2 complete 2 x 9 set up's for when my 2 bikes need gears replacing.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'd go 2x11.
I prefer Shimano to SRAM
My #gradventourer is currently set up with a 50/34 crank and 11-40 cassette.
I'd consider a 46/30 crank but could only find them in black 😉
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

Thanks Ton, I've also found 1x11 to be on the delicate side. Had my first chain break on me at the start of the summer. On replacing it I found a crack in another link. Overall it's probably not an uncommon occurrence but it was to me and got me thinking about how light things can go before durability and reliability becomes a factor.

Scotroutes, your recommendation looks good but I hadn't even thought of aesthetics. what rear derailleur do you have to give clearance for the 40T cassette?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm using a standard Ultegra RX rear mech. No added linkage. it's outside Shimanos recommended specs but works perfectly.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

If you can stretch to it I’d highly recommend sram AXS in either 2x12 or if you don’t mind larger gaps 1x12 AXS Eagle, I’m running a combination of Red brakes/shifters and an AXS Eagle mech with a 10-50 cassette. Over the best part of a year it’s been utterly flawless and remains so even when covered in clag, my riding was usually accompanied by a string of expletives aimed at my drive train. AXS has delivered perfect shifting EVERY time from a tap on a paddle of from the blip buttons mounted on the tops. I’d now find it very difficult to return to mechanical shifting, yes it’s expensive but it’s very, very good.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I have had three gravel bikes in recent years.

First a Specialized sequoia, 2x 46/30 (or something like that, will check later) with an 11-36 cassette

Then a custom built specialized sequoia with 28/38 XT chainset and an 11-40 XT cassette.
XT Di2 mechs, and Ultegra Di2 shifters.
That bike was amazing. Could get up any road climb fully loaded.
Shifting was amazing.
Unfortunately I broke the frame.

So, replaced with a Specialized diverge Carbon expert (I think). Massive warranty discount from Specialized
GRX Di2
1x with a 44T chainring
And a 11-42 cassette.
Already considering adding a double chainset.

For “touring” on a loaded bike get a double, and the widest cassette possible.
GRX seems a good compromise.
The largest shimano road cassette is 34T; however, sram is 36T (as used on the top sequoia)
I have read of people using a 40T XT cassette with the 1x GRX rear mech and a double chainset.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have a Camino Ti and I have a mutant GRX/MTB transmission. I've found for proper offroading with bikepacking luggage but without the compromise of big gaps between ratios I need a 2x set up. After various experiments I've settled on an 11-32 cassette with a 22/38 MTB chainset. Mechs are GRX rear and SLX front both driven by GRX shifters. At anything approaching 30mph I spin out but I'll accept that as it means I can climb most hills I encounter off-road even with luggage on and I don't have the big holes between ratios that even a 12 speed wide range cassette would give me as a 1x transmission. I've previously run SRAM kit on my gravel bikes but personally much prefer Shimano (although the SRAM stuff did the job).
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I will throw a spanner in the works... Campagnolo Ekar :cool:

Really impressive, the only proviso is that the smallest possible gear is 38t front, 44t rear.
If that is small enough, it is hard to fault. Maybe the price is a factor too.

This is comparing to every other groupset I have tested, which is quite literally everything out there including SRAM mullet and mutant options.
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

Thanks for all the replies.

Lots of good info for me to mull over and research a lot more into. At some point my head might explode. No doubt I'll make my decision and I'll be 95% happy with the gearing but i know that there'll always be a compromise between gearing and what I'm using the bike for or me wanting just one more lower gear.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Just a suggestion but if you decide to go GRX 1x it might be worth speccing the 2x left hand shifter and leaving it unused. It'd give you the option to swap to a 2x set up at a later date with very little hassle.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Jurassic wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:24 pm Just a suggestion but if you decide to go GRX 1x it might be worth speccing the 2x left hand shifter and leaving it unused. It'd give you the option to swap to a 2x set up at a later date with very little hassle.
And even easier if Di2 and fully wired.
Add a front mech
Add front mech cable
Job done

Best to not look at the price of Di2. 😮 😳 Just hand over the credit card. 😂
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

I've not even looked at Di2, the 'finance manager' would not approve such lavish spending.

I think I'll go for 2x11 as a standard setup. I was just in Evan's and they have a few Canondale gravel bikes with FSA 46T-30T chainrings with GRX shifters/deraileurs. Beginning to wonder why Sonder aren't doing it as a standard option on the Camino but do do it for the steel touring frame bike that they have.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Martin B wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:38 pm I've not even looked at Di2, the 'finance manager' would not approve such lavish spending.

I think I'll go for 2x11 as a standard setup. I was just in Evan's and they have a few Canondale gravel bikes with FSA 46T-30T chainrings with GRX shifters/deraileurs. Beginning to wonder why Sonder aren't doing it as a standard option on the Camino but do do it for the steel touring frame bike that they have.
Fashion-led bike specification's. It's a thing.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It’s a way to differentiate all-road from gravel I suppose
jameso

Post by jameso »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:03 pm It’s a way to differentiate all-road from gravel I suppose
The Bike Industry Will Eat Itself .. :grin:
46T-30T chainrings with GRX shifters/deraileurs.
Good ratios that more bikes should use but be wary of FSA proprietary ring/BCD specs and their BBs aren't great. Not the worst though.

I'd recommend having a look at Spa Cycle's own chainset range. Based on Sugino cranks, loads of ring options and all using good old square taper BBs. Don't believe the hype about needing stiffer cranks.

A Sugino crank could get you a 32-46 or 30-44, with an 11-34 or 11-36 rear that should cover brisk road riding as well as lightly-loaded riding.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's also the Miche Graff chainset in 46/30. That was my plan before I tried the 40T cassette.