Similar to Exposure, but not... is there such a thing?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

EDI_Dave

Re: Similar to Exposure, but not... is there such a thing?

Post by EDI_Dave »

EDI_Dave wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:24 pm
it's a fool's saving if I don't - £50 vs 50% more lumens - 'cheap' at the extra price.
Turns out you can get a Toro @ Wiggle for £268 (vs. £305 elsewhere) so it's really just over a tenner more... :shock:
jameso

Post by jameso »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 pm Did I just imagine Exposure announcing a STVZO set of lights a year or two back? I never saw them actually released.
https://exposurelights.com/products/bike/stvzo-lights - there's a URL..
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The wayback machine to the rescue. They were announced November 2018, were available in feb 2019, by September 2019 they were back to available soon and then by May 2020 they’d gone entirely
Euge

Post by Euge »

I decided to go Exposure - got a Race 2021 model at just over £200. Not tried it yet except for blinding myself in the house!

I am thinking it needs a tether of some sort just in case - ideas?
DNF BB2020
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Euge wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:48 pm I am thinking it needs a tether of some sort just in case - ideas?
Are you using it with the Exposure bar mount? If so I've never had one come off or heard of one come off so I don't have a tether on mine. I do on the helmet light, garmin and SPOT so it's not like I'm reckless with my kit.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I used a lanyard and attached it to the light with some velcro - this is for a joystick on my helmet

Even then it does not fall out the mount you have simply bashed it so hard the mount ball joint comes out

Given this i am going with them being very secure
Euge

Post by Euge »

Depends on bike as to which mount I use, one bike has aero bars for example. I always use a tether with my garmin and want to do the same with the Race if I can
DNF BB2020
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Would the dedicated Exposure lanyard fit? I dont know the race model.

Failing that some string or, if you want fancy, dyneema cord (spliced for that no-knot look).

😉
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Euge wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:01 pm Depends on bike as to which mount I use, one bike has aero bars for example. I always use a tether with my garmin and want to do the same with the Race if I can
I always tether my garmin, but they have a reputation for coming off, even the quarter turn ones can come off in a crash. My point was that the Exposure cleat mount is so secure that in a crash a set of carbon bar's would snap instead of the light coming out of the mount. My friend has the same type of cleat mount (but bigger) to fix the spot lights on the front of his historic rally car.

The Exposure tether won't be big enough to go round the race, it's sized for the helmet lights. A loop of 1mm dyneema should be fine enough to grip in the cooling fins. It doesn't need to be tight around the light as it will grip if pulled tight.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Euge wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:01 pm Depends on bike as to which mount I use, one bike has aero bars for example. I always use a tether with my garmin and want to do the same with the Race if I can
I'm still trying to figure out how my aero bars will take the exposure mount. Best I've thought of thus far - the gap with 31.8mm dimension beside the bar and before the aero profile begins being 5mm eather side - is to buy a 35mm mount and then build up from the 5mm with (not sure) as it tapers out and by the time it got to a 35mm dimension I'd probably have a 10mm gap to take the mount.

Not sure if that makes any sense Euge. My English is pretty poor, sorry... :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:31 pm Stem mount?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-expos ... se-bracket
Thanks Colin. Yeah, I had considered that previously. But the bolts on my stem are these things... https://fairwheelbikes.com/extralite-hy ... torx-bolt/ M4 I believe whereas the ones on most other stems would be M5. Euge would hopefully be sorted with that stem mount though (I have a couple for my current headlights - non Exposure but GoPro fitting - they work very well (well apart from the one which they got the go pro spacing wrong and its 0.5mm out of kilter)...

------
Update: 'tibike' (the bolt people) have been emailed...
Euge

Post by Euge »

Going to try this mount on aero bars.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Exposure-Aero- ... gIvbvD_BwE

I’ll be ok on the gravel and MTB, but do want a lanyard to tether. Will try some dyneema.
DNF BB2020
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Euge wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:26 am I’ll be ok on the gravel and MTB, but do want a lanyard to tether. Will try some dyneema.
I've assumed you have seen how the tether on the Joystick works? If not then goggle it, it's a loop passed back through itself so it just fits over the light, so it wont come off as it gets caught on the cooling fins but it's not tied tight. It's easier to do than explain :grin:
Euge

Post by Euge »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:18 am
I've assumed you have seen how the tether on the Joystick works? If not then goggle it, it's a loop passed back through itself so it just fits over the light, so it wont come off as it gets caught on the cooling fins but it's not tied tight. It's easier to do than explain :grin:
I saw that lanyard and will probaly use a proper knot.
DNF BB2020