Similar to Exposure, but not... is there such a thing?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rocklobstercat

Re: Similar to Exposure, but not... is there such a thing?

Post by rocklobstercat »

I've had a Torchy light for about 8 years and it's been brilliant. However the wire started to fray and I couldn't work out how to fix it. I read all the reviews and bike light forums and eventually decided on the Ravemen PR1600. The build quality is superb and I like not having an external battery pack that can sometimes get in the way. The Ravemen is excellent for commuting as it has a high and low beam just like on a car so you can chop and change between the two or have both on for pitch black sections. I've noticed cars and pedestrians notice me much more as they are not being dazzled. The light has about 8 different settings so you can choose the right one for your environment and lighting conditions. The wireless remote makes this effortless. Off road on full beam and on full power the thing is incredible and is quite a bit brighter than my Torchy (which had a claimed lumen output of 2400). Just goes to show it's not all about the lumens. The light also can run on any external power bank if you want to extend run times which is a bonus and there is a display that tells you how much battery you have left. I've paired this light up with a Moon Vortex Pro 1300 on my helmet and it's mind blowing. I got Wiggle to price match the Ravemen for £105 and the Moon was in a sale at Merlin for £53. I think it's the best light setup I've had especially for the money.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just goes to show it's not all about the lumens.
It's all about Lux :-bd

What's the bar mount on the Raveman like? The spec does look good overall. The mount stability/durability is one common weakness, one aspect Exposure have got very right.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

jameso wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:06 pm The mount stability/durability is one common weakness, one aspect Exposure have got very right.
I totally agree with this. I'd been adapting my old lights to use the Exposure mounting system for a while prior to buying an actual Exposure light. I'm still using a Torchy bought Fluxient U2 Mini as my commuter light using a U shaped torch cradle to GoPro mount attached to an Exposure GoPro adaptor and stem mount, it's rock solid and works like a charm. :-bd

ImageIMG_20201111_152549446 by Jurassic690, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20201111_152646984 by Jurassic690, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20201111_152735786 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I find the mount on the Ravemen rock solid and doesn't move at all.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Jurassic wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:24 pm
jameso wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:06 pm The mount stability/durability is one common weakness, one aspect Exposure have got very right.
I totally agree with this. I'd been adapting my old lights to use the Exposure mounting system for a while prior to buying an actual Exposure light. I'm still using a Torchy bought Fluxient U2 Mini as my commuter light using a U shaped torch cradle to GoPro mount attached to an Exposure GoPro adaptor and stem mount, it's rock solid and works like a charm. :-bd

That's a good idea. I had one of those torches, was a cracking little thing but found it way too floody to use on the road, was blinding everyone. Surprisingly good off road for a little torch, and user replaceable batteries too
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

benp1 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:34 pm

That's a good idea. I had one of those torches, was a cracking little thing but found it way too floody to use on the road, was blinding everyone. Surprisingly good off road for a little torch, and user replaceable batteries too
Hmm, well I use it regularly on the road when I'm commuting, I've not noticed any adverse reactions from car drivers yet. I do dip it onto the lower power setting when traffic is coming the other way though, maybe that's enough to stop it bothering them. Ironically I've found it to be too spotty for using seriously off-road without another light to supplement it. That's why it's been relegated to commuting duties. Maybe I need to start saving up for a Strada to go with my Toro then! :roll:
EDI_Dave

Post by EDI_Dave »

voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:33 am Had a moon 850, brilliant lights... Ran mine int he second highest setting and was good for most of my riding (think gravel/easy mtb/bridleways etc rather than trail centre hoonigan)
Got a Moon 950, will let you know how it works once I get out in the semi-dark... Thanks all!
jameso

Post by jameso »

jameso wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:59 am Question for Exposure users - when new how accurate do you find the battery life countdown timer on the display?

I'm getting about 17% less than stated eg 2.5hrs on High vs stated 3hrs (Strada 600). That's a static test in a room where it's about 18-19 deg and the light warms up a bit. As far as I understood it batteries discharge faster / give less output duration when cold ie on a bike at night with air flow, could be wrong though?
Update, in fairness to Exposure and Vs my mild scepticism based on past experience.. I went out for a ride yesterday evening and it went from 3.04 at 100% charge down to 1.35 in 1.30 of riding time. Almost dead-on accurate. That's more like it. Showed 00.53 remaining at the end of a 2hr ride. Was cool but not cold and the temp + airflow will effect the discharge rate. Almost as if it was set to give accuracy in normal UK dark road use...

Have to say that although the 600L output doesn't reach that far down the road (as expected) the beam pattern of the Strada is really good. Very wide, better than my B+M Edelux when it comes to tighter corners. The beam reach + uniformity for fast road riding isn't as good as the Edelux but for easier-pace bikepacking or gravel riding it's really promising.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

About time they brought out a Revo with that beam pattern. Maybe they just don't have enough demand.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

About time they brought out a Revo with that beam pattern. Maybe they just don't have enough demand.
What is the issue with the revo beam patter?

I use the sinewave beacon dynamo light and its spherical - so technically not road legal- but its fine till about 25 ish when its becomes a test of your nerves :wink:
I also used it off road* and i fine for that to

* Not in "dynamo mode" but using a battery and charging that as a dynamo light off road is terrifying IME. You reach a technical part so you slow and immediately you now have much less light as you get to the hard bit - not a great combination IMHO
never tried the german road legal stuff
jameso

Post by jameso »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:58 pm About time they brought out a Revo with that beam pattern. Maybe they just don't have enough demand.
I'm not familiar enough with the std Revo beam to say but given how use of dynamos is higher among road/gravel riders and the output's more useable at those speeds vs MTB, I'd say that's a good point.

Anything that has a bit more than a single point-source beam has my interest. My old L+M Secca is brilliant in that respect. A few LEDs at varying power and angles give a really good spread.
never tried the german road legal stuff
In some cases they just give a much more even spread of light between the front wheel area and maybe ~30m up the road, vs a single torch type LED output that is much brighter up close, less bright at the 30m point. Doesn't sound like a big deal but not having to read the ground differently as you look between the 2 areas really helps, it's less tiring on the eyes, feels more natural. I wouldn't use anything but a reflected/manipulated beam for road use now. Off-road it's less important but still beneficial.
EDI_Dave

Post by EDI_Dave »

Well, have had fun with this. Bought a Moon 850, and got a Moon 950 instead. Bright in the centre but not a very wide spread. Bit the bullet and returned it and bought an Exposure Race for £250 - not available anywhere cheaper last week - and then found it for £205 on Monday. Now swithering whether to return it and pay the extra £50 and get a Toro...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Get the Toro. I don't have one but want one, just as a step up from my Diabolo.

You just want an excuse to buy it, yeah?

:wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

EDI_Dave wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:01 am pay the extra £50 and get a Toro...
I think the Toro is the sweet spot for the price/run time/weight/light output balance. Get one :-bd In normal commuting use the run time is such that I don't have to charge mine for weeks as it's on the lowest setting. Equally, it will see me through 13 hrs of riding in the dark on the BB300 with enough output for technical trails.

I have the remote plugged into mine, helps maximise the run time, I can leave it on the lowest setting but if the ground unexpectedly requires more light I can change the output without taking a hand off the bars.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:09 am Get the Toro. I don't have one but want one, just as a step up from my Diabolo.

You just want an excuse to buy it, yeah?

Is that gonna be the perfect night companion for my 3 hour road commutes??
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I wouldn't know Shaf but reading what James has to say I would suggest not.
EDI_Dave

Post by EDI_Dave »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:09 am You just want an excuse to buy it, yeah?
Erm.... Couldn't possibly comment :lol:

But there's also some bit of me thinking it's a fool's saving if I don't - £50 vs 50% more lumens - 'cheap' at the extra price. In for a penny, in for hundreds of pounds as they say...!!
EDI_Dave

Post by EDI_Dave »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:09 am Get the Toro. I don't have one but want one, just as a step up from my Diabolo.
Wouldn't running the two together be a bit of overkill?? Or would you need sunglasses at night :cool:
Dean

Post by Dean »

EDI_Dave wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:08 pm
Wouldn't running the two together be a bit of overkill?? Or would you need sunglasses at night :cool:
There was a day where I had misplaced my regular glasses so had to ride home at night with prescription sunnies on using a Diablo and Joystick on full power. :cool:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a Maxx-D and an Eqiuinox. They do occasionally both get used on full power!
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Does the Raveman actually dip, in the same way that car headlights do, or is it just a lowering of the brightness?

I've recently bought a B&M Icon IQ Premium and took it out for a test ride on a local road loop.
The shape of the beam does result in a more consistent light coverage across its range, giving a good level of confidence about what's approaching (on the pothole front)
That was on residential roads, that have street lights, but not too many, so I really need to go a bit further to get to proper dark roads.

It was nice to not worry about dazzling other folks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If anyone's interested - I mentioned last week that my brother was after a Joystick, well he obtained a 2021 model from SDJ Sports for £135 inc helmet and bar mounts.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

EDI_Dave wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:08 pm
Possibly.

I had wondered about it as a bar&helmet set-up/

TBF the Diabolo is doing fine and there's no need for a Toro. But sometimes this stuff is not "need" it's "want" - isn't it :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:26 am I wouldn't know Shaf but reading what James has to say I would suggest not.
I don't know about the Toro. Beam pattern would count it out for me on road, it'll work ok but I think it's antisocial to be using high power torch LEDs on road for much more than the odd connector lane during MTB rides.

My Strada 600 has worked out OK but wouldn't be using it for 3hrs on road. The max setting only just gets to 3hrs and although med setting is adequately bright it's not what you'd want to rely on for a regular or long commute. A Strada 1000 or so would be great though, the beam pattern is good for road use, if still not at German STVZO levels of good.

Shaf, the ideal answer is a dynamo and an I-Q or Edelux 2, really.. brilliant lights. More faff to get set up but you won't regret it.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Did I just imagine Exposure announcing a STVZO set of lights a year or two back? I never saw them actually released.