For the self employed. URGENT

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

For the self employed. URGENT

Post by Borderer »

Tomorrow (Monday 19th) is the deadline for the self-employed to claim the second Government support grant. You can do this in about 3 minutes online (I know because I just did!). It awards it to you right away after just a few clicks.

It is worth 70% of your average monthly earnings times 3. It works on your last three years accounts. If you haven't been self employed that long I don't think you can get it (but don't take my word for it).

So for example if your earnings were £1k per month then it would be £700x3=£2100.

It is a grant not a loan. You are eligible if your business has been adversely affected by the Covid situation in any way, which is a pretty broad definition and applies to most of us. You have to confirm this but you are not asked to prove it. All you need are your UTR and NI number. It's incredibly simple. You don't need to have claimed the first grant to get this second one.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-gra ... ort-scheme
FLV

Re: For the self employed. URGENT

Post by FLV »

I dont need it, but a :-bd for posting to help our like minded bretheren.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Thanks for the reminder, hadn’t realised the date on it as it’s my wife that’s self employed not me. Didn’t claim the first one as seemed ok then but not so good now. Cheers
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Same here. Things were ok during the first period but I'm feeling it now. Apparently the next grant is only going to be 20% so at a time when more people will be more seriously affected it will be a lot lower.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

As I recall I wasn't eligible last time because I dared to actually pay my way and not hide most of my income as expenses.

Doubt anything has changed.

Edit - It hasn't, and was too late anyway.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I don't hide my income - I just don't earn much!
I actually don't bother tracking expenses at all as I earn a lot less than the tax threshold so there isn't any point wasting my time counting it up even.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It's not a dig at anyone, aside from the wankers that came up with the system.

I very much didn't appreciate being classified as some sort of millionaire being excluded from gaming the system, when the irony was that had I used tax avoidance I'd have paid less in over the previous years, and actually had some help back.

Instead I went without work for two months (all of my customers had shutdown) and largely only really survived because I don't have any overheads (and my wife has a salaried job).
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

A lot of people have fallen through the net alright. Sorry to hear that you are one of them. Very ironic as you say that you are effectively being punished for doing the right thing.