99p P&P. Joe's shop for bikepacking gear

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Re: Joe's shop for bikepacking gear

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Confirmation of dispatch and tracking info with Parcel2Go email just received. Looks good.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:57 pm Confirmation of dispatch and tracking info with Parcel2Go email just received. Looks good.
Great. It's been a bit of a palaver setting up postage but hopefully that's it sorted now. He wanted to use Royal Mail as Hermes are a bit sketchy, but paypal won't release his funds to him unless he puts a tracking number in to show that he has sent the goods. This mean RM was a no-go as doing it Signed For was too expensive. I tried to find a different courier but the one I chose turned out to use Hermes to do the delivery anyway. So I am sorry, but Hermes it is. Let's hope it will be stress-free.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Borderer wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:04 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:57 pm Confirmation of dispatch and tracking info with Parcel2Go email just received. Looks good.
Great. It's been a bit of a palaver setting up postage but hopefully that's it sorted now. He wanted to use Royal Mail as Hermes are a bit sketchy, but paypal won't release his funds to him unless he puts a tracking number in to show that he has sent the goods. This mean RM was a no-go as doing it Signed For was too expensive. I tried to find a different courier but the one I chose turned out to use Hermes to do the delivery anyway. So I am sorry, but Hermes it is. Let's hope it will be stress-free.
RM would probably become very expensive very quickly. Nothing really wrong with MyHermes to be fair and I think the issues arise when sending large bulky/heavy items. None of which he will encounter hopefully...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yah, just got that here. Quite looking forward to my bamboo toothbrush as my sawn-off plakky one is getting a bit manky now. I hope these "toothpaste tablets" come with instructions. Up to now I've been using tooth powder - stored in one half of a contact-lenses container. The other half of it stores arse-cream. So far I haven't had James' mix-up problem. If the paste tablets come in their little tube I've now got to work out what to put in the contact lens half instead. A very small tot of whisky?

As you know I like bamboo base layers. If you've got bamboo toothbrushes, how about selling a whole bamboo bike?

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ha ha, yes that would be lightweight alright. If he hadn't sold out of Ti woodstoves I could suggest some sort of product tie-in for emergency brew-ups....
Glad the emails and everything are working well. Hopefully things should start to arrive at the beginning of the week.
Toothpaste pills instructions:
1 - chew pill,
2 -brush teeth
Thanks again every one - much appreciated.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Borderer wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:34 pm Toothpaste pills instructions:
1 - chew pill,
2 -brush teeth
Thank you, that's put my mind at rest. I think I've followed that. Just in case, have written on a bit of paper to keep with them :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

jameso

Post by jameso »

Borderer wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:34 pm Toothpaste pills instructions:
1 - chew pill,
2 -brush teeth
:grin:
You need that. Otherwise, it wouldn't suprise me if you had an email one day from someone who "took the pill and found my teeth weren't clean, even one hour later?" :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Dang. He needs to stoopid proof his shop.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Paypal have just sent a message to say that they are closing the account because it is suspicious. Presumably because he has taken in a reasonable amount in a couple of days. I have complied with all the hoops they have asked us to jump through re id, parcel tracking etc and then just got this email this morning. I am on hold to speak to them now, but please don't try to buy anythign just yet. :cry:

Edit - Ok it seems he isn't allowed a paypal account before 18. This seems a bit nuts, but there you go. Unfortunately they are insisting on closing the account even though I have said I can just take it over, So for now I have switched the checkout to point to my paypal account. He will have to set up a new one later. What a massive pain.

Presumably all of these kids will have had the same problem.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/ ... ovid-slump
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Gah, that must be a faff. He's not lost out on any of the payments has he?
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Landslide wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:14 pm Gah, that must be a faff. He's not lost out on any of the payments has he?
We don't know yet. If they do return the funds to the buyers we will have to ask you to send them again. I am really sorry if that happens. They are talking about holding the funds for 180 days which is ridiculous - that's 6 months!

It seems that we will need to open a new paypal in my name and then have the funds drawn down into my bank account. While this sounds simple it really complicates a lot of things like tax (I'm self employed), my benefits situation and so on. Ultimately we will find ways round things but it makes you wonder how a child in care for example would navigate this. Chances are they just wouldn't be able to, further restricting their life chances.

You can get married at 16, join the army, have sex and potentially become a parent, vote in a Scottish election and many other things, but not have a paypal account. It's nuts and very frustrating, but there you go.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

If you need the payment re-submitting by debit/credit card - Let me know.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

macinblack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:35 pm If you need the payment re-submitting by debit/credit card - Let me know.
Me too...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Borderer wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:23 pm
Landslide wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:14 pm Gah, that must be a faff. He's not lost out on any of the payments has he?
We don't know yet. If they do return the funds to the buyers we will have to ask you to send them again. I am really sorry if that happens. They are talking about holding the funds for 180 days which is ridiculous - that's 6 months!

It seems that we will need to open a new paypal in my name and then have the funds drawn down into my bank account. While this sounds simple it really complicates a lot of things like tax (I'm self employed), my benefits situation and so on. Ultimately we will find ways round things but it makes you wonder how a child in care for example would navigate this. Chances are they just wouldn't be able to, further restricting their life chances.

You can get married at 16, join the army, have sex and potentially become a parent, vote in a Scottish election and many other things, but not have a paypal account. It's nuts and very frustrating, but there you go.
Ach, what a PITA for you both.

Like the others, if it gets tricky let me know and happy to repeat / cancel / do whatever with payments to help.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. They have let him withdraw some money today so hopefully he will get the rest soon.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Have you looked into Stripe as an alternative to Paypal?Maybe that doesn’t have an age restriction.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

No, I hadn't heard of that one.
He has set up a new PayPal account and so hopefully that will fix it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Paypal have become quite funny over certain stuff recently Bridget but I tend to find that once your feet are firmly under the table, things tend to calm down.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bad luck B, what a pain :sad: . Still, Joe can chalk it up as a 'learning experience' thereby increasing his resilience. Stand him in good stead when he's CEO of BikepackingMegaCorp!

RIP

Post by RIP »

Hopefully Stu's right and it settles down (PP are hardly doing themselves a favour offputting potential future subscribers though are they!)

If you had to stick with your account for a while, your self-emp isn't compromised because surely customers are buying from you (your income) but you're buying your supplies from Joe! (your expenses) - cancels out. Fingers crossed gets sorted before that.

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Sorry to hear that Bridget. Hope it gets sorted without having to do refunds (though obviously I would be happy to pay again).

I guess for now you will just want to do whatever makes things continue most smoothly, but I recommend looking at alternatives for the future. Paypal really are a law unto themselves.

I don't know if the situation has changed in the last couple of years, but my understanding is that they're not required to be registered with the financial services regulator (whatever they're called now), and so they can basically do as they wish with your funds. If you have credit with them, it's not "cash" - similar to if you have a gift card for a shop. If they want to withhold your funds for months, or refund them to a buyer who they've decided you've wronged, there's no-one you complain to except them.

They're registered in Luxembourg I believe, and while this is pure speculation, I reckon I could have a good guess at how much tax they pay in this country.

I do use them for personal payments since they've become the de facto standard, but frankly we'd all be better off without them I reckon.
ootini

Post by ootini »

I just placed an order before reading all of this. Hope it worked OK. If not, can you let me know and I'll use a different payment method?
It's under the name of Dave Robinson- p.s. I've had confirmation of the order from PayPal.

Also the confirmation email i received from yourselves prompted a warning in my mail browser that the email had failed its domains authentication requirements and may be spoofed or improperly forwarded.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ootini wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:30 am I just placed an order before reading all of this. Hope it worked OK. If not, can you let me know and I'll use a different payment method?
It's under the name of Dave Robinson- p.s. I've had confirmation of the order from PayPal.

Also the confirmation email i received from yourselves prompted a warning in my mail browser that the email had failed its domains authentication requirements and may be spoofed or improperly forwarded.
Thanks Dave. He is just packing your order now. I will get him to look into the error message. Not sure what that means but the order and payment has all gone through fine.
Thanks again - very much appreciated.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:29 pm Paypal have become quite funny over certain stuff recently Bridget but I tend to find that once your feet are firmly under the table, things tend to calm down.
Yeah let's hope so. It's annoying that it's the scammers making life hard for the rest of us though - even if indirectly.

Thanks Reg and Dave for your comments too. Lot's of learning going on in this house at the moment!

Cheers for your patience everyone.