99p P&P. Joe's shop for bikepacking gear

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Re: Joe's shop for bikepacking gear

Post by Borderer »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 pm Somehow I found enough things that I don't know I needed that I ended up qualifying for free postage :shock: Initially I was looking out of a desire to reward Joe's entrepreneurism, but I found stuff that I wasn't aware of, and genuinely think will be useful, and I think the prices are very reasonable (I hope he's got his margins right and it's worth his time).

The other thing I would suggest, and I wish I could suggest the same to 90% of online retailers, is to make the cost of postage clear. It's a bugbear of mine: shops often advertise a lower limit for free postage, but so often I just want to know whether postage on one small cheap item is going to be a deal-breaker, and resent having to add an item to my basket, go to the checkout, sometimes even put in an address or register (which generally I just won't bother doing) to find out it's going to cost £5 to send my £3 item.

In fact, following on from that, since Joe has a lot of light, compact items (by definition) for sale, it might attract more people to have a lower rate of postage for things that will go large letter (assuming he's using Royal Mail). Just a thought.
Just to say that Joe has taken this on board on adjusted his shipping rates. He figured out how to do it and now if you just order one slim lightweight thing that can go letter post you will only be charged 99p postage. He has also brought the postage cost of bulkier items down to £2.99 now seeing as he is using Hermes which are cheaper.

if any of his customers who ordered prior to the change are pissed off about this then please let me know and we will sort something out to try and keep you happy. :-bd
Last edited by Borderer on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Also in response to feedback, he has added a new bundle - this one is the 'Stay Fresh' bundle but with the full toothbrush instead of just the head. Cheers

https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ ... sh-bundle/
Attachments
Travel Stay Fresh Bundle.jpg
(104.39 KiB) Downloaded 702 times
ootini

Post by ootini »

Can I make a suggestion for a product that if you could source, I would buy ?
The little pill container... get a large one, that can accommodate a tea spoon head, so that I can take a small quantity (3 or 4 brews worth) of my favourite instant coffee. Something like an old film cannister but better.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ootini wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:12 pm Can I make a suggestion for a product that if you could source, I would buy ?
The little pill container... get a large one, that can accommodate a tea spoon head, so that I can take a small quantity (3 or 4 brews worth) of my favourite instant coffee. Something like an old film cannister but better.
I use these

https://www.torqfitness.co.uk/product/single-measure
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ootini wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:12 pm Can I make a suggestion for a product that if you could source, I would buy ?
Thanks for the suggestion, I will get him to look into that (though I am not sure if he could complete with the one scotroutes just posted) :???:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

if any of his customers who ordered prior to the change are pissed off about this then please let me know and we will sort something out to try and keep you happy. :-bd
Happy to pay what I've paid :cool:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:13 pm
Happy to pay what I've paid :cool:
Thank you
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Borderer wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:34 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 pm Somehow I found enough things that I don't know I needed that I ended up qualifying for free postage :shock: Initially I was looking out of a desire to reward Joe's entrepreneurism, but I found stuff that I wasn't aware of, and genuinely think will be useful, and I think the prices are very reasonable (I hope he's got his margins right and it's worth his time).

The other thing I would suggest, and I wish I could suggest the same to 90% of online retailers, is to make the cost of postage clear. It's a bugbear of mine: shops often advertise a lower limit for free postage, but so often I just want to know whether postage on one small cheap item is going to be a deal-breaker, and resent having to add an item to my basket, go to the checkout, sometimes even put in an address or register (which generally I just won't bother doing) to find out it's going to cost £5 to send my £3 item.

In fact, following on from that, since Joe has a lot of light, compact items (by definition) for sale, it might attract more people to have a lower rate of postage for things that will go large letter (assuming he's using Royal Mail). Just a thought.
Just to say that Joe has taken this on board on adjusted his shipping rates. He figured out how to do it and now if you just order one slim lightweight thing that can go letter post you will only be charged 99p postage. He has also brought the postage cost of bulkier items down to £2.99 now seeing as he is using Hermes which are cheaper.

:-bd I hope it brings him more customers who just want one thing (though hope they're tempted to buy more too).

Another thing I thought of, product-wise, is these toothbrush covers, like these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/253027463793 I have one that I'll use with the bamboo toothbrush. I don't like the idea of my toothbrush knocking around with the rest of my mucky gear without a cover. I know they're plastic, but with this I can use a bamboo toothbrush rather than a folding plastic one.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Thanks Dave, I will pass that on. It's frustrating that none of the bamboo toothbrush makers do any sort of case for the travel brushes. You can get them for the full sized brush but not travel size. It's not ideal to put a bamboo brush into a plastic case right enough but at least the covers will last longer than just one brush would.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Everything received safe&sound today and a lovely little note.

Good luck with it Joe (and Bridget). Keep telling us about your stuff and what's going on at weirdosonbikes :cool:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm Everything received safe&sound today and a lovely little note.

Good luck with it Joe (and Bridget). Keep telling us about your stuff and what's going on at weirdosonbikes :cool:
Great to hear it has all arrived ok. I can see from the tracking that several others were delivered today too so hopefully everyone on here who ordered will have theirs soon.

It is the first time Joe has done anything like this. His Aspergers can mean that he thinks in fairly random ways sometimes - not all of which I can predict in advance and make plans for! Hopefully everything is ok, but if there is anything wrong with your order at all please let me know and I will do what I can to sort it out.
Cheers
Bridget
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

All present and correct :cool:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:22 pm All present and correct :cool:
Great, thanks.
thenorthwind wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 pm Tempted to come back for a Tyvek bivvy bag. Who's making them, or is that a trade secret? Just wondered if you/Joe were making them yourselves.
Sorry, I had it wrong when I said that they were 3F earlier - they are actually by Flame's Creed. I now have one of each here to compare. The 3F is very slightly smaller width-wise (84cm vs 87.5cm) but they seem the same length. Hopefully that would allow for better lofting in the Flames Creed.

The Flames Creed is 50g heavier which may be as the fabric seems slightly stiffer and may therefore be heavier. It is still a soft fabric, but the 3F is definitely softer - the one I have here is a second hand one which might explain that though. (all stock in the shop is new btw). The fabric of the Flames Creed has "Dupont downlining 1452A" faintly visible in the weave, but I can't see anything printed on the 3F. From Googling it seems that 1452A is used in the manufacture of fairly high-end down jackets and gilets but I haven't been able to find out anything else about it.

The main difference between the two bags that I can see is that the 3F has red crinkly (silnylon?) fabric around the hood and top of the zip, whereas the Flames Creed has a red woven fabric (which I don't know the name of). This woven stuff is less noisy and feels heavier more robust.

Overall the Flames Creed feels more robust and hopefully hard-wearing, which would account for the extra 50g.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Order placed, and eagerly awaiting the goods.

Stay weird, Joe - normal's not fun.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

belugabob wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:08 pm Stay weird, Joe - normal's not fun.
He is doing a good job there :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

From Googling it seems that 1452A is used in the manufacture of fairly high-end down jackets and gilets but I haven't been able to find out anything else about it.
It's used a lot in museums, galleries, etc to cover old and expensive stuff when not on display.

Bridget, you may well find that the spec between the two manufacturers bags is always in flux and changing as their supplies ebb and flow.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:28 am
From Googling it seems that 1452A is used in the manufacture of fairly high-end down jackets and gilets but I haven't been able to find out anything else about it.
It's used a lot in museums, galleries, etc to cover old and expensive stuff when not on display.

Bridget, you may well find that the spec between the two manufacturers bags is always in flux and changing as their supplies ebb and flow.
Ok thanks. I will keep an eye on it. I didn't know that about museums. It's pretty shocking to me that Tyvek is also used to make disposable overalls. I would think it is even less biodegradable than plastic even.
Maybe the next HT550 will see weight weenies pull on a pair of Tyvek overalls and just lie down on the ground like that. :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Borderer wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:43 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:28 am

Ok thanks. I will keep an eye on it. I didn't know that about museums. It's pretty shocking to me that Tyvek is also used to make disposable overalls. I would think it is even less biodegradable than plastic even.
Maybe the next HT550 will see weight weenies pull on a pair of Tyvek overalls and just lie down on the ground like that. :lol:
We use the disposable Tyveks all the time in contaminated land work. They provide an effective barrier to potential contaminants, moreso than "traditional" fabric overalls. Once they're used they're also usually filthy with dirt / oil / whatever so difficult (I imagine) to put into a recycling system. TBH I've never looked into whether there is one but it becomes tricky when you're dealing with something that will have potential nasties on it. They have a place but sometimes they are misused.

I gave Taylor some of the disposables overalls years ago and he modified one to use as a jacket. Think it was relatively effective but rather sweaty.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Yeah, I'm sure they have their place right enough, but as you say - plenty will abuse that.

Shop update: Ti woodstoves are back in stock.
Cheers
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Order received, safe and sound - thanks, Joe
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Quick review of the toothbrush and toothpaste pills.

The brush is a good size, bristle firmness hits that goldilocks spot for me between medium and hard. Handle seems nice and solid, weight weenies could probably survive using just the head.
Pills are surprisingly good. At first bite, I thought there wasn't enough to them, but they turn out to be very effective, without it all going...
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

:lol: :lol: Yeah, we were really surprised by them when we first tried them too. Glad you like them.

Good to hear Bob. Hope you have fun with the new bits.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Joe has a few new products in his shop today - perhaps something for your 'Christmas List' or is it too soon..... :???:
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/shop/
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Order placed.

Looking forward to cooking on twigs and toasty toes! :-bd :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Charliecres wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:26 pm Order placed.

Looking forward to cooking on twigs and toasty toes! :-bd :-bd
Wow, nice one.
He will get that on it's way to you in the morning.
Thank you!