99p P&P. Joe's shop for bikepacking gear

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Re: Joe's shop for bikepacking gear

Post by Borderer »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 pm
Borderer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:10 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:59 pm Tiny thing - can he offer the toothbrush with the handle (maybe as an add on for the difference ££) on the BP bundle? Personally, I'd prefer the ease of full size compared to weight saving. I get what he's going for though with the lightweight angle :cool:
Yes sure I can get him to add a bundle with everything including full toothbrush in a bit. The full toothbrush is available separately for £1.99 just now though, which you could add on....
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ ... oothbrush/
Funnily enough is exactly what I did and besides, as I said, it's a teeny, tiny thing.

Returned and paid successfully plus received a confirmation of order screen on site and to my email.

A mate who does a bit more of this stuff (on line webshops and stock control) mentioned once to always set-aside a couple of items compared to the stock listed on site. Gave a handy practical fall-back in case of cock-ups or unforeseen complications. Does mean there's a bit of cash tied up in stock though.
Yes he does kind of have that in place already as he has various items that are allocated to different bundles, but can be reallocated if one sells more than the other or so on. Good tip though thanks. :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

macinblack wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:52 pm Couple of bits and bobs I'd order there - What's the payment method?
Thank you :-bd It's just paypal but you can use your debit or credit card there if you don't have an account.
There was a slight teething problem with the checkout but Joe has fixed it now.
Cheers
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

jameso wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:01 pm Shop links shared on TNR FB page and twitter :-bd
Thanks so much for this James. I can see hits coming through from Twitter already. Great stuff.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Was I the only one who on seeing the "Toothpaste Pill Bottle" thought of Papillon? :shock:
E commerce at 16, he'll go far, good luck.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:27 pm Was I the only one who on seeing the "Toothpaste Pill Bottle" thought of Papillon? :shock:
E commerce at 16, he'll go far, good luck.
What you use it for in the privacy of your bivvy bag is entirely up to you :shock: :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Excellent, Joe. Ordered one of them there bundles. 10 seconds, done, very smooth, well done.

All I need to do now, with my pensioner brain, is make sure I get the toothpaste tablets and deodorant paste the right way round when I wake up blearily in the morning :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

RIP wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:19 pm Excellent, Joe. Ordered one of them there bundles. 10 seconds, done, very smooth, well done.

All I need to do now, with my pensioner brain, is make sure I get the toothpaste tablets and deodorant paste the right way round when I wake up blearily in the morning :wink: .
Thanks C, you were order number 7. He is packing yours now. What colour of bottle would you like or are you not fussed?
Cheers again x
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ooh, colour choice... errmmm... when in doubt go for gothic... black please.

I enjoyed the quirky descriptions and... individuality, is that the word? I don't shop for stuff, I shop for laughs, a much more precious commodity. Laughter is a very serious business in my book :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Borderer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:32 pm order number 7.
My lucky number!

Right, Taskmaster is on telly in 5 minutes, and I'm head over heels in love with Katherine Parkinson so I gotta go.....

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

RIP wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:46 pm Ooh, colour choice... errmmm... when in doubt go for gothic... black please.

I enjoyed the quirky descriptions and... individuality, is that the word? I don't shop for stuff, I shop for laughs, a much more precious commodity. Laughter is a very serious business in my book :smile: .
Yes 'hand not included' was entirely his doing :lol:
Gothic black is on its way. Don't blame me if you lose it in the dark :???:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Borderer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:45 pm Thanks so much for this James. I can see hits coming through from Twitter already. Great stuff.
People actually read the twitter posts? "Great" :grin:
RIP wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:19 pm All I need to do now, with my pensioner brain, is make sure I get the toothpaste tablets and deodorant paste the right way round when I wake up blearily in the morning :wink: .
I got Sudocrem and toothpaste tubes mixed up in the dark once : /
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Somehow I found enough things that I don't know I needed that I ended up qualifying for free postage :shock: Initially I was looking out of a desire to reward Joe's entrepreneurism, but I found stuff that I wasn't aware of, and genuinely think will be useful, and I think the prices are very reasonable (I hope he's got his margins right and it's worth his time).

Tempted to come back for a Tyvek bivvy bag. Who's making them, or is that a trade secret? Just wondered if you/Joe were making them yourselves.

Following on from Stu's comment about the picky people, I wouldn't say the tent pegs are "impossible" to snap. Someone will!

The other thing I would suggest, and I wish I could suggest the same to 90% of online retailers, is to make the cost of postage clear. It's a bugbear of mine: shops often advertise a lower limit for free postage, but so often I just want to know whether postage on one small cheap item is going to be a deal-breaker, and resent having to add an item to my basket, go to the checkout, sometimes even put in an address or register (which generally I just won't bother doing) to find out it's going to cost £5 to send my £3 item.

In fact, following on from that, since Joe has a lot of light, compact items (by definition) for sale, it might attract more people to have a lower rate of postage for things that will go large letter (assuming he's using Royal Mail). Just a thought.

Sounds like Joe's going to have a busy weekend! :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 pm Somehow I found enough things that I don't know I needed that I ended up qualifying for free postage :shock: Initially I was looking out of a desire to reward Joe's entrepreneurism, but I found stuff that I wasn't aware of, and genuinely think will be useful, and I think the prices are very reasonable (I hope he's got his margins right and it's worth his time).

Tempted to come back for a Tyvek bivvy bag. Who's making them, or is that a trade secret? Just wondered if you/Joe were making them yourselves.

Following on from Stu's comment about the picky people, I wouldn't say the tent pegs are "impossible" to snap. Someone will!

The other thing I would suggest, and I wish I could suggest the same to 90% of online retailers, is to make the cost of postage clear. It's a bugbear of mine: shops often advertise a lower limit for free postage, but so often I just want to know whether postage on one small cheap item is going to be a deal-breaker, and resent having to add an item to my basket, go to the checkout, sometimes even put in an address or register (which generally I just won't bother doing) to find out it's going to cost £5 to send my £3 item.

In fact, following on from that, since Joe has a lot of light, compact items (by definition) for sale, it might attract more people to have a lower rate of postage for things that will go large letter (assuming he's using Royal Mail). Just a thought.

Sounds like Joe's going to have a busy weekend! :-bd
Thanks for that Dave and thanks for your order. Joe is made up to have eleven orders already.
It's a good point about making the postage transparent from the start - I will get him to do that tomorrow. It's all very much a learning curve at the moment. You are probably right that some things could go for cheaper postage, but equally he loses out sometimes too. So for him it probably evens out, but I get your point about it putting people off who just want one small thing. It's a bit of a complicated thing to work into Woocommerce I think, though Joe might know how to do that... :???: :???:
The Tyvek bivvy bags are made in China I'm afraid - but by 3F who make quite good tents and other gear. They seem pretty well made, though I haven't slept out in one yet. Stu seemed to think they were ok.
We have been using the tent pegs for years and haven't snapped one. On An Turas Mor we regularly bashed them into stony ground with a handy rock. I think in 3 years we have very slightly bent one peg so far. But I get your point. I will moderate the claim....
Thanks again for your feedback.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag.......
RIP

Post by RIP »

jameso wrote: I got Sudocrem and toothpaste tubes mixed up in the dark once : /
:o :YMSICK:

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've already got one of those tyvek bags. Haven't tried it in pissing rain, but seems decently weatherproof. As Stu said in his review, non taped seams and a zip don't really classify it as fully waterproof, but I reckon it'd keep the worst off.
Breathability seems better than my Hunka XL. I can get me (6'/80kg) and my 7cm thick Exped mat in it. Ever so slightly on the snug side for full lofting of a 3 season bag, but I'd rate it as acceptable.
Light, packs down well.
Would recommend.
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I never knew toothpaste pills existed !

I've bought a few things. The website shop worked very well.

Well done Joe - Obviously a huge amount of work has gone into the site.

:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:27 pm I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag.......
Didn't quite catch you there JC, say again? :smile:

Yes you do. Just hand the cash over man and lerrus know how you get on with it!

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:27 pm I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag, I don't need a Tyvek bivvy bag.......
So you bought one John... What color?
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

stevewaters wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:42 pm I never knew toothpaste pills existed !

I've bought a few things. The website shop worked very well.

Well done Joe - Obviously a huge amount of work has gone into the site.

:-bd
Thanks Steve - very kind of you. Yes he has worked on it every day for weeks now. You don't realise what a lot of work goes into these things until you do it.
Yes we only discovered toothpaste pills this year, but immediately thought that every bikepacker should have them in their kit. The shop kind of grew from there...
Cheers again, you made him very happy, as did everyone who has ordered or even just gone for a nosey. It has been the best day on our website by a long margin - over 1300 hits already. It's all been quite exciting.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Arg, Shaf, don't let Stu catch you saying "color", it's almost as bad as grammes. Or, <shudder>, km.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Landslide wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:59 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: only one left.....
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I hesitate to suggest it because it's (I suspect)a real marmite thing to buyers. However, he might want to think about a "can we contact you" consent. It'll enable him to contact a customer base when he restocks, if he adds new stuff etc. You also have the option of adding other things to any newsletter that might encourage mutual traffic between shop and blog (which also stops it just being about flogging stuff).

😎
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:12 am I hesitate to suggest it because it's (I suspect)a real marmite thing to buyers. However, he might want to think about a "can we contact you" consent. It'll enable him to contact a customer base when he restocks, if he adds new stuff etc. You also have the option of adding other things to any newsletter that might encourage mutual traffic between shop and blog (which also stops it just being about flogging stuff).

😎
Thanks for that. I guess I hoped that our Weirdos Facebook page would serve that purpose, but you are probably right that not everyone is on Facebook and so another way of connecting might be useful. Just now he doesn't know if all this is going to be a bit of a flash-in-the-pan or if he has the beginnings of something bigger. At the moment I think all his sales have come from folk on here so it is still a fairly limited audience. We shall see....