Quick-link tools

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Quick-link tools

Post by petemaz »

Can I ask what folks use for quick link removal when out on a longish trip? Previously I've successfully used a leatherman and some gear cable, but occasionally the link is pretty 'stiff' so this technique doesn't work. Do I need to carry quick-link pliers with me, if so can anyone recommend a good, small set? Thanks!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Quick-link tools

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

People seem to like the Wolftooth plier / tool.

May the bridges you burn light your way
jobro

Post by jobro »

Leatherman Squirt, which I have in the tool bag anyway.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

These are similar to the WT but a bit cheaper. I've some in the bike bag but not used in anger yet.

https://www.granite-design.com/talon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH I've not yet had to undo a link when out and about. Any chain issues have been resolved by removing a standard pin and fitting a new quicklink. That Wolftooth tool looks good though, especially as it can be used as a tyre lever too.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You may need to file down the sides of the pliers on the Leatherman Squirt depending on what speed chain you have.

One technique is to lift the quicklink off the chainring to form a triangle like this:

Then put something on the roller so the force goes onto that and not the side plates and give it a clout :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I use the woolftooth and its very handy as it also works a tyre lever,valve tool and it stores links
It was a gift so doubt i would pay that price for it

Cheaper copies are available including all plastic ones - neve rused though so cannot advise
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:47 am These are similar to the WT but a bit cheaper. I've some in the bike bag but not used in anger yet.

https://www.granite-design.com/talon
Bought one last week and worked fine. Great for on the trail and it also doubles as a set of tyre levers :-bd Worth carrying
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have the wolftooth set. But I have another set for use at home, think they're made by BBB - does opening and closing, they work great. Just not one to pack down small
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I have the Granite Talon ones and they work well and are well made, strong and as light as my pair of plastic tyre levers. - These double up as a pair of tyre levers, whereas if I recall the Wolftooth offers only a single tyre lever.

I had a set of plastic ones quick link pliers but they were not strong enough.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Always found serrated or ridge-face pliers work fine when used at an angle. Hard to describe the method here but they pinch diagonally and apply force across the outer edges of the link, applied on the right sides (or corner) so that the links open under the pressure. The serrations grip and allow this angular pressure whereas flat-face pliers can't do it. I have a mini pliers set that undo quick links, sticky valve stem nuts and other things that need a bit of bodge.
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:57 am You may need to file down the sides of the pliers on the Leatherman Squirt depending on what speed chain you have.

One technique is to lift the quicklink off the chainring to form a triangle like this:

Then put something on the roller so the force goes onto that and not the side plates and give it a clout :-bd
This, just press down on the roller or the appropriate side of the link with a stick, rock, tyre lever and be careful not to let the chain ping off or you may loose a bit :shock: :???: :oops:
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks all, much appreciate the comments and suggestions.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I paid £1.75 for a pair of quick link pliers (for home use) but they’re tiny enough to take with me if I needed to. However the Leatherman Squirt is on my key ring so I don’t need the dedicated set too.

AliExpress for the pliers.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:57 am You may need to file down the sides of the pliers on the Leatherman Squirt depending on what speed chain you have.

I could have done with that idea the other day. I really should get something small to carry on training rides just in case.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:52 pm
I could have done with that idea the other day. I really should get something small to carry on training rides just in case.
Joe has some of the wire pliers in his shop

https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ ... ick-links/
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Borderer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:33 pm
Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:52 pm
Joe has some of the wire pliers in his shop

https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ ... ick-links/
Handy, cheers.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Im genuinely curious. Why does anyone split a chain at a quick link when away from home?

If i mess with my chain away from my garage, its just general cleaning or repairs. Repairs seem to need a chain tool for me not a quick link tool.

Just wondering
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

If you damage your derailleur or hanger you can take it off, shorten the chain and ride home if you have a chain tool or quick links fitted. Only trouble is quick links are very difficult to shift once they have been on a while, hence the need for a tool.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FLV wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:50 pm Im genuinely curious. Why does anyone split a chain at a quick link when away from home?

If i mess with my chain away from my garage, its just general cleaning or repairs. Repairs seem to need a chain tool for me not a quick link tool.

Just wondering
Yeah, I wrote much the same way up there ^^^

I (mostly) always have a chain tool and a spare link.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Possible scenario - you only have a quick link fitted in the chain. Chain goes pop at some other point along it's length. Remove borked chain section and re-connect with existing quick link.

Edi - thought of another - chain wedged and cannot easily free. Split chain at QL to help get it unwedged and then re-attach once sorted. Saves losing a link or two.

All very specific and I'm not going to quibble about likelihood or alternatives of which in both scenarios there are probably plenty.

A quick-link tool just makes it easier to deal with the existing link.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Faster, and easier, repair than pushing a pin back in
Also more permanent [ and I know the charge of ham fisted will come up here] but IME putting a pin back into a dirty chain in the middle of nowhere when wet and cold is something that may not be as strong /accurate as you need and you risk snapping the chain again and possibly an unpleasant interface moment between you and the bike
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:54 am Faster, and easier, repair than pushing a pin back in
Also more permanent [ and I know the charge of ham fisted will come up here] but IME putting a pin back into a dirty chain in the middle of nowhere when wet and cold is something that may not be as strong /accurate as you need and you risk snapping the chain again and possibly an unpleasant interface moment between you and the bike
No one has suggested using a pin to rejoin a chain.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Fair point, sorry, so presumably any repair you remove links and insert a new quick link?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:45 am Fair point, sorry, so presumably any repair you remove links and insert a new quick link?
Aye. So far(!) that's never failed me. That's included removing a broken/bent chain link, shortening a chain for a mate so he could SS home after smashing his mech, re-routing a tangled chain through a mech and a few other scenarios.