Spot Assistance Requested...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Spot Assistance Requested...

Post by Richard G »

Anyone had the spot updater not load from them? It's just sat there with a sort of progress bar at the bottom.

Do I need to have it on the latest firmware for tracking / SOS? I can see it on the Spot Map page, but it's not sharing with Spotwalla for some reason. I need to get that sorted or Charlotte will be having kittens whilst I'm out (first massive ride since my crash).
Richard G

Re: Spot Assistance Requested...

Post by Richard G »

Also, when I go to my XML feed link (the one I have in spotwalla) it seems to load some sort of fancy map page, I don't remember it doing that before. Also, said map page is completely empty even though I definitely have data being sent up. :|
slarge

Post by slarge »

SPOT have changed their "sharing" pages and links. You now have to go into the Maps page and figure out how to invite email addresses to the sharing page. Took me a while to figure it out, but it did seem to work once I'd done it.

You do need to have the latest firmware on the device though - (although I never tried whether it works with old firmware).
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

IIRC Spotwalla stops "paging" your Spot page if it hasn't been used for a while (weeks/months?). There's a process to wake it up again but I don't recall what it is.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I just created a new XML feed and I can see the OK message I just sent, but no tracking. With the spot device updater not working I think I might be kinda screwed here.

Edit - Thankfully a tracking message just showed up. Must be some sort of delay.

I installed the spot updater on my laptop, not working there either. I guess a server the application requires is down or something. I really hate this company, I think I need to get one of the other options even if it ends up costing me more.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Rich, when it's just for Jane to see where I am she just used the Spot app on her phone (or the Spot website) using my login, it saves all the hassle of trying to get spotwalla to work.

There always seems to be a delay for me between starting a ride and spotwalla catching up, sometime several hours.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:18 am Rich, when it's just for Jane to see where I am she just used the Spot app on her phone (or the Spot website) using my login, it saves all the hassle of trying to get spotwalla to work.

There always seems to be a delay for me between starting a ride and spotwalla catching up, sometime several hours.

Yep. Spotwalla usually features a lag. As you say, my wife just accessed my Spot page. The only advantage I could see with Spotwalla was being able to pre-load the planned route so that it became clear when I was detouring.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, it was mostly so she could see the route and some informative waypoints I'd set up (like when I should get to certain places). I'll give her the other page anyway.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I just shared the link, not sure what app the other person uses to watch me, I guessed anyone with the link gets a view of the Spot map page with my dot on it
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

so whats the story with spotwalla now? does it not work now spot changed their maps or whatever?

im new to using a spot and id like to share a live map with a preloaded gpx file on it.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It seems to be working after some significant delay. Who knows if it'll show up on my event page. I guess we'll just have to rely on the default spot one.