Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

User avatar
JamesZorab
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by JamesZorab » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:11 pm

Hi guys,

I'm planning a 5-day trip with a mate. We're both needing to get a fair bit of kit for it on top of what we've got.

At the moment we're just sending lots of links by Whatsapp to different kit and keeping track of what we've got / need to get in an excel list which is all ugly and painful...especially when some of the kit looks so good :grin:

Wondering if anyone knows if there's a website or app that can visualise my kit list? The dream would be to have a page with pics of my bike and all my kit in individual pictures so I can easily see what I've got etc vs a text list. Had a look around but couldn't find anything obvious.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Cheers,
James

User avatar
Shewie
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:27 pm
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Shewie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Lighterpack is pretty good

https://lighterpack.com/welcome

EDIT:

As an idea I started something for a trip recently, it's just a quick list of everything I might use rather than what I was actually taking, not many weights added either but you get the idea

https://lighterpack.com/r/69cx2i
Last edited by Shewie on Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JamesZorab
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by JamesZorab » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Thanks Shewie. Had a quick look and looks promising! Don't suppose you know if you can view pics of your kit all on one page or do you always have to look at it as a list albeit with thumbnails? Couldn't see an obvious way on quick inspection.

User avatar
Shewie
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:27 pm
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Shewie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:28 pm

JamesZorab wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:26 pm
Thanks Shewie. Had a quick look and looks promising! Don't suppose you know if you can view pics of your kit all on one page or do you always have to look at it as a list albeit with thumbnails? Couldn't see an obvious way on quick inspection.
I'm not sure tbh, I've not really bothered with the pictures or links before, it's more about dialing in the weight and trying not to forget stuff

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 19680
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:30 pm

Genuine question - why do you need to see pictures of your kit?
What value a life half lived if the half you lived was the wrong half?

User avatar
JamesZorab
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by JamesZorab » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:36 pm

Shewie wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:28 pm
JamesZorab wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:26 pm
Thanks Shewie. Had a quick look and looks promising! Don't suppose you know if you can view pics of your kit all on one page or do you always have to look at it as a list albeit with thumbnails? Couldn't see an obvious way on quick inspection.
I'm not sure tbh, I've not really bothered with the pictures or links before, it's more about dialing in the weight and trying not to forget stuff
Ok thanks. Appreciate the suggestion.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:30 pm
Genuine question - why do you need to see pictures of your kit?
Mostly because I find it easier to view and keep track of stuff through pictures than words. And also planning the trip with a mate, it'd be more fun to see how each others' kit and rides for the trip were coming together visually than just a text list or in text messages.

Cheeky Monkey
Posts: 2968
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 pm
Location: Leeds ish
Contact:

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Cheeky Monkey » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:40 pm

Lay it out on the floor and take a picture maybe?

What you're talking about sounds a little moon-on-a-stick, but I guess it might exist, dunno :???:

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 19680
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:46 pm

Mostly because I find it easier to view and keep track of stuff through pictures than words. And also planning the trip with a mate, it'd be more fun to see how each others' kit and rides for the trip were coming together visually than just a text list or in text messages.
With you.
What value a life half lived if the half you lived was the wrong half?

Cheeky Monkey
Posts: 2968
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 pm
Location: Leeds ish
Contact:

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Cheeky Monkey » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Sorta:

Image

But maybe if you did one per "bag"?

jameso
Posts: 3905
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Chilterns

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by jameso » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:17 pm

https://www.instagram.com/kitgrid.cc/?hl=en

not much use I know, but it looks like 'kit grids' are a thing

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 6551
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by ScotRoutes » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:55 pm

You can put photos in Excel cells.

slarge
Posts: 2036
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: MTB mecca (Warwickshire)

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by slarge » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:58 pm

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I write a list for every event I do of which bag contains which item of kit. Then tick items off as I pack the bags.

Mind you I write lists of what I have to do before the event, and the kit I need to buy, and what needs to happen on the days beforehand (like charging lights etc). Maybe my life is governed by lists😂. But I hate forgetting stuff

User avatar
Pirahna
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:42 pm
Location: Herts

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Pirahna » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:00 pm

Put pictures into a Google sheet or doc. You can both work on it at the same time.

wriggles
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 am
Location: South Chilterns

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by wriggles » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:52 pm

Yeah I use a google sheet for bigger trips (1 week-3 months) and after the trip jot some notes at the bottom about what worked/didnt work. Next trip I copy that list to a new page in the google sheet, amend to suit the trip and then print it and tick off as I pack it. I do this as if "bike" isnt on a list I will leave it behind I am that absent minded.

Overnighters and local weekends I just grab stuff, throw it in and then laugh when i realise have forgotten sleep mat/bivvy bag/tarp etc

User avatar
Alpinum
Posts: 1882
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Alpinum » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 pm

I don't know you experience in going outdoors a two or more days, but what always helps me is to visualise a full day as in
- waking up in the morning; sleeping kit, shelter, spare clothes.
- breakfast; stove, spoon, fuel, food or pub/café.
- riding; bike, bags to carry your stuff, perhaps a spare strap, navi, tools.
- etc and in more details.

If you have some outdoor experience and go through each scenario in detail, it's likely that you'll not forget the important stuff.

Long story short; best tool is your brain.

shutupthepunx
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by shutupthepunx » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:43 pm

jameso wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:17 pm
https://www.instagram.com/kitgrid.cc/?hl=en

not much use I know, but it looks like 'kit grids' are a thing
have those people never heard of dirt?!

Andiphim
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Andiphim » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:35 am

:-bd
Shewie wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:14 pm
Lighterpack is pretty good

https://lighterpack.com/welcome

EDIT:

As an idea I started something for a trip recently, it's just a quick list of everything I might use rather than what I was actually taking, not many weights added either but you get the idea

https://lighterpack.com/r/69cx2i
I have just looked at the above site and you can add pictures to your list.
Looks like you have your moon-on-a-stick.

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 3058
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by sean_iow » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:48 am

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:53 pm
Sorta:

Image

But maybe if you did one per "bag"?
Can I ask who's kit that is? I'm going to guess Tim Wiggins*, who's local to me. He's got a Kona, wears lots of gripgrab and castelli and works for wiggle.

* How sad is it that I can recognise a rider by his kit grid :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 6551
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by ScotRoutes » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:08 am

Way back (gulp, more than 7 years ago) I did a blog page of my kit list, including a description of where it was packed.

I should really do an updated one as things have moved on a bit!

https://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/05 ... -list.html

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 19680
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 am

Can I ask who's kit that is? I'm going to guess Tim Wiggins*, who's local to me. He's got a Kona, wears lots of gripgrab and castelli and works for wiggle.
Tell him, he's got far too much sh1t ... unless he's going for a few months :wink:
What value a life half lived if the half you lived was the wrong half?

Cheeky Monkey
Posts: 2968
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 pm
Location: Leeds ish
Contact:

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Cheeky Monkey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:33 am

sean_iow wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:48 am
Cheeky Monkey wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:53 pm
Sorta:

Image

But maybe if you did one per "bag"?
Can I ask who's kit that is? I'm going to guess Tim Wiggins*, who's local to me. He's got a Kona, wears lots of gripgrab and castelli and works for wiggle.

* How sad is it that I can recognise a rider by his kit grid :roll:
Just an image from Google for illustration, no idea who :-bd

jameso
Posts: 3905
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Chilterns

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by jameso » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:34 pm

ScotRoutes wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:08 am
Way back (gulp, more than 7 years ago) I did a blog page of my kit list, including a description of where it was packed.

I should really do an updated one as things have moved on a bit!

https://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/05 ... -list.html
Be interesting to see how it's changed.
https://alpkit.com/blogs/spotlight/pack ... -frame-bag - I wrote this for Alpkit after my first few UK rides and that first longer trip away, but now I don't think I pack the same way for any 2 trips. It's the closest I ever got to a kit grid anyway.

Dean
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Dean » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:18 pm

sean_iow wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:48 am
Cheeky Monkey wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:53 pm
Sorta:

Image

But maybe if you did one per "bag"?
Can I ask who's kit that is? I'm going to guess Tim Wiggins*, who's local to me. He's got a Kona, wears lots of gripgrab and castelli and works for wiggle.

* How sad is it that I can recognise a rider by his kit grid :roll:
https://blog.wiggle.com/bikepacking-kit ... -kit-round

And yes it is sad.

jBay
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by jBay » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:24 am

SimpleMinds - free trial
Do a mind map with pictures

User avatar
Alpinum
Posts: 1882
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: Know of a tool to visualise my ride & kit list?

Post by Alpinum » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 am
Tell him, he's got far too much sh1t ... unless he's going for a few months

If you go on a - say - month long trip instead of a week long trip (similar climate, resupply options etc given obviously), why exactly should you take more stuff? Or sh1t in your words?

I don't, never did and never will.

On the other hand, most of my longer trips take me to remote places which require carrying food/fuel (and other consumables) for many days or even a month. It's for such trips where I really get nerdy about weight savings.
This not just applies for bikepacking.

Post Reply