Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 39
Bearbonesnorm

Winter Event 2021?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Morning - there's been some discussion about the annual Winter Event in January regarding whether it could / should go ahead and I'm looking for input and hopefully gauge interest.

Now, while we probably all thought or at least hoped that the world would be something like normal by the New Year, that now looks rather doubtful. That means the chances of obtaining the usual community centre or such are about zero. If that's the case, then the only viable option would be to run it in a similar way to this years WRT.

My question is - if that is the case, would you still be interested in attending? There'd still be the usual tea, cake and goodies but we'd have no base for a start / finish. Please, only vote if you'd have come under normal circumstances.

Ta.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Re: Winter Event 2021?

Post by RIP »

Yep
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Was hoping you’d do something for this Stu as I’ve already booked off that 2nd weekend in jan , if not Reg I’m pretty sure a small meet up somewhere wet and cold would suffice :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:21 am if not Reg I’m pretty sure a small meet up somewhere wet and cold would suffice :wink:
OT, apologies, but got Winter Bivvy to worry about first :smile:, albeit little organisation required for that.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

As things stand, yes. But if cold and flu season makes things worse... most of us may not even be able to get there.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Would make the effort, yes... (Voted).

Si
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I was thinking about what would happen to the winter bivy and winter event this year

Having missed the WRT, I'd defo be game for the winter event if it's possible to go ahead. Would normally be the weekend of 9/10 Jan right?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would normally be the weekend of 9/10 Jan right?
Yeah whatever the second weekend in Jan is.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

As usual, there's a number of factors - family events, holiday, etc. - that make it uncertain, and the covid situation will likely just make it more complicated, so it seems unlikely this year. I haven't voted since it's quite possible I wouldn't make it anyway.
middleagedmadness

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:15 pm As usual, there's a number of factors - family events, holiday, etc. - that make it uncertain, and the covid situation will likely just make it more complicated, so it seems unlikely this year. I haven't voted since it's quite possible I wouldn't make it anyway.
If you find yourself floating around penkridge over Christmas Dave drop us a message and I’ll meet up :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:20 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:15 pm As usual, there's a number of factors - family events, holiday, etc. - that make it uncertain, and the covid situation will likely just make it more complicated, so it seems unlikely this year. I haven't voted since it's quite possible I wouldn't make it anyway.
If you find yourself floating around penkridge over Christmas Dave drop us a message and I’ll meet up :-bd
I hope so, and certainly would, but sadly that looks unlikely this year. Fingers crossed though. :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

After this year’s dambusters ‘fun’ I wouldn’t miss it for the world
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Voted Yes.

But these lockdowns and travel restrictions are only going to get worse as the numbers in the hospital Covid wards grow and grow.

With it being only 12 or so weeks away I would guess 80% of the country will be under a non essential travel banby that date.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

But these lockdowns and travel restrictions are only going to get worse as the numbers in the hospital Covid wards grow and grow.

With it being only 12 or so weeks away I would guess 80% of the country will be under a non essential travel banby that date.
You might be right John or you might not. That's the trouble, everything is speculation and any facts that may actually exist are becoming lost in the muddy waters. None of us know what the future holds, so I feel we need to at least try and maintain something of what we had. Don't and it could be lost forever.
faustus

Post by faustus »

This is the kind of event I'd love to go to normally (I've not done any BB event yet), being a bit more informal than a BB200 type thing. I don't know how the WRT was run, but I think there will be too many restrictions to make it viable to travel to. I also need to see other people in Wales I've not seen for 9 months before doing an event, and that doesn't look likely. Tea, toast, cake, and some grid references sounds great though!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

If it's on I'll be there.
Unless Boris or Mark say otherwise of course.
:-bd
The Boss
Site Admin

Post by The Boss »

Taylor wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:53 pm Unless Boris or Mark say otherwise of course.
I happen to have heard today's 2pm news on the radio and Mark Drakeford said that he'd like to close the border altogether, now!
psling

Post by psling »

Until about 7 years ago I lived straddling the border. My house was in Wales but my postcode was in England and whilst the buildings were in Wales some of my land was in England. I would be confused right now I reckon if I was still there :???:

p.s. hopefully all be OK for Winter Event, it's one I masochistically look forward to :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Boss wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:10 pm
Taylor wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:53 pm Unless Boris or Mark say otherwise of course.
I happen to have heard today's 2pm news on the radio and Mark Drakeford said that he'd like to close the border altogether, now!
Dee, I think that's a reaction to Johnson's refusal to ban those in high risk areas from travelling. There was a piece on the BBC site a day or two ago covering this. The practicalities (or otherwise) of such a ban were also touched on.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:18 pm p.s. hopefully all be OK for Winter Event, it's one I masochistically look forward to :cool:
Eh? I remember what happened last year :wink: .

burty

Post by burty »

i am sure the me and the mrs will make the trip :-bd
build it and they will come :grin:
middleagedmadness

Seems to have got a bit more intent to it today Bob , a couple of days ago it was mentioned along with the 3tier system , today they seem to be on the verge (Dependant on interpretation of the science )of a complete lockdown for a couple of weeks , which in selfish mode totally buggers up my 200 trip , but in the scheme of things short sharp breaks may be what’s needed
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Obviously, if a cross border lockdown does come into effect, I'll extend the BB200 slot for as long as required ... I'd hate John to miss out :wink:
middleagedmadness

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:47 pm Obviously, if a cross border lockdown does come into effect, I'll extend the BB200 slot for as long as required ... I'd hate John to miss out :wink:
Top man there :-bd
burty

Post by burty »