Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 39
Blackhound

Re: Winter Event 2021?

Post by Blackhound »

Sadly, that looks the correct decision. My partner has wondered why I have spent my birthday weekend in Wales instead with her for the last 9 years.
Looks like we can see each other next year.

Won't miss Dee telling me how old I am!
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

That’s a pity. :sad:
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:12 am It's a shame as it would have been the 10th anniversary but while we're trapped inside some weird 80's sci-fi film, then there's not a lot we can do.
It’ll still be the tenth though, even if we have to wait a year for it :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:28 pm
With our usual innovative spirit we'll have to come up with summat similar to the V-WRT. I shall relish sending you off to bivvy on Formby beach JC :smile: .

I think I've exhausted pretty much every bivvy spot in my garden short of kipping on the compost heap though. At least that'd be nice and warm.
Yes please, I missed all that in the spring
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Stu... calling the winter event off for the mo is very wise indeed IMO. I just did a shift yesterday eve on a Covid ward. Young chaps on high amounts of oxygen. One lad collapsed (50s or 60s) - cos of the low oxygen in his blood no doubt - at home and had to be brought in. Anyway, loads of em on lots of O2 and generally very poorly. Out of 18 there was (in this instance) only one non-white. An afro-caribbean nurse from the neighbouring ward who'd caught it from the ward environment.

Anyway, not scare mongering and I'm sorry if it sounds like that. We might have to keep not being in each others faces etc for another (many) few months. In case anyone wonders where this shift was... It was middle earth, a far eastern avenue of it but many ICUs are also starting to fill up slowly :sad:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Keep fighting the good fight Shaf. Much love.
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:37 pm Keep fighting the good fight Shaf. Much love.
Good news (again, IMO and people like Luke or the Peak District senior nurses will know more) is that I just checked a Science Direct article which claims to have corrolated (whatever that means... lets call it 'followed' or 'traced') a theoretical model of the progression and rise, with the actual numbers. The model says April 1st will be final cases being 'deaded' out... I'll go with that. Just need to keep coughing to ourselves until then and no hugs or kisses.

Out of interest, I asked the chaps (5 of em) on this one bay where they'd caught it from. 1 stated, the pub and didnt see why the landloords hadn't spaced the tables more than 2 metres... plus they were having 'pub hopping' going on (come on... WTH). Amosy of the crew that were with him got it but he was one of the fortunate ones that ended up in hospital :-bd

2nd guy said he caught it from the hospital. But upon further digging he collapsed at home (no doubt from the emulation of his blood thinking he's on Everest- ie. very low blood oxygen pressure that meant it couldn't 'jump' across to oxygenate the organs). Obviously after we discussed it he agreed it wasn't from the (dirty :lol: ) hospital.

3rd guy.. defo/most probably caught from the hospital (we're sorry sir... wasn't me) as he'd come in fresh for another procdure and suddenly poorly with Covid.

4th guy, didn't say much. Maybe he was French.. or Italian.. or Dutch. Looked well though and very smily.

5th guy... Too poorly to say owt. Unfortunately was on 100% oxygen and during my shift they moved to 'palliate' him. Hope he makes it through, looked tough and speaking to his son hed3been battling it at home for a good few weeks. In his 70s or 80s.

Most of em (the 18 patients that is) had some sort of history of Asthma, Stress, Diabetes or high Blood Pressure....

Moral of the story (other than don't go kissing gates, wash your hands, dont hug everyone you meet), dont stress, eat healthy, reduce our salt intake, when the stupid landlord at the pub decides to reduce the distance of the tables to less than 2m, do insist or walk out :-bd (or keep yer mask on... and obviously don't stress).

NB. I kewp talking about stress... Its something (not a specific research as such but just from a face-value POV) that's being noticed that the people that overly stress don't seem to respond as well...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm lucky in that when I got it my SPO2 didn't really drop much, despite feeling seriously out of breath doing basically anything.

I guess there's an advantage to being fit?
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:37 pm Keep fighting the good fight Shaf. Much love.
Likewise Rich...

Yes, there is advantages to being fit. Lots of em. Your description (SpO2 up even though SOB with doing absolutely anything) really is elite stuff. Eddy Merckx (resting heart rate of about 30 but I'm sure a touch less) would be proud...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ha... it's been some time since I've been down in the 40s. I'd likely assume I'd died if my heart ever went that slow again. :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:51 am Ha... it's been some time since I've been down in the 40s. I'd likely assume I'd died if my heart ever went that slow again. :lol:
I was taking beta blockers for non-cardiac reasons last year and had to stop taking them because my heart rate dropped to 28 when I was sleeping :shock: and was rarely above 60 even walking around. Made for fairly slow going on my bike as anyone on the SW winter bivi last year can verify X_X
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah... they're scary things. I was on them for about a month and even when going all out sprints I was unable to get my heart rate over 135. :lol:
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:19 am
Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:51 am Ha... it's been some time since I've been down in the 40s. I'd likely assume I'd died if my heart ever went that slow again. :lol:
I was taking beta blockers for non-cardiac reasons last year and had to stop taking them because my heart rate dropped to 28 when I was sleeping :shock: and was rarely above 60 even walking around. Made for fairly slow going on my bike as anyone on the SW winter bivi last year can verify X_X
When I had my (yes, my very own personal, not shared with anyone else) heart virus (PeriMyocarditis with a Trop of 2000summat :grin: ) I noted my heart rate eent down to about 35 in the night on the CCU. In the morning I mentioned it to the nurses and they verified that I wasn't dreaming.

Then for the following week after discharge - the consultant was nice, he allowed me home early so long as I kept up with my heart failire meds :smile: - I strapped myself up to the Wahoo overnights. Was regularly getting readings in the 38s and 42 AFAIR. Thought I'd suddenly become superhuman but it was just the heart coordinating its thing with the virus (I guess). Normal resting HR about 60s or 65s... :sad:
wurzel58dog

Post by wurzel58dog »

I would be up for the winter event especially as cyclocross season is a total write off!
I've not done a WRT event though. What distance kind of thing and climbing in what time span is a ballpark or bike polo park figure I wonder.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

've not done a WRT event though. What distance kind of thing and climbing in what time span is a ballpark or bike polo park figure I wonder.
I appreciate this probably sounds quite odd but with both the WRT and the Winter Event, there really is no ballpark figure. It would be exactly what you decide it is. WRT is 3 days / 2 nights and the Winter Event is 2 days / 1 night.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

The way things are going at the moment i reckon I'll see you all in 2023, feck me i won't recognise any of you if this goes on much longer :???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The way things are going at the moment i reckon I'll see you all in 2023, feck me i won't recognise any of you if this goes on much longer
Don't worry, I'm working on a secret tunnel below the Kerry Ridgeway :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:18 pm
The way things are going at the moment i reckon I'll see you all in 2023, feck me i won't recognise any of you if this goes on much longer
Don't worry, I'm working on a secret tunnel below the Kerry Ridgeway :-bd
That'll do :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

One if the saddest November the 1st's in a long time

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/Winter_Event/

Latest News
We're sad to say that due to the continuing pandemic, the 2021 winter event has been cancelled
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Mike wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:11 pm The way things are going at the moment i reckon I'll see you all in 2023, feck me i won't recognise any of you if this goes on much longer :???:
I’m growing a mullet
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice marinaded in a bit of lemon, garlic and thyme they say.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP

Post by RIP »

^ Being the bizarre event love-child of JC and meself it certainly won't possess the polished sheen of the Real Thing, then again the mayhem and madness might be some small recompense :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster