Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 39
Blackhound

Re: Winter Event 2021?

Post by Blackhound »

a 'yes' from me, think I have a 100% record on winter events and would like to keep that up if event proves practical.

One of the nice things is nattering about the previous year (!) and wonderful stuff we have planned for next 12 months over a cuppa with folk I don't usually see. I suppose this is the most difficult part as we will all be potentially indoors together at either end of weekend.
Verena

Post by Verena »

So what we need is a field or wood that straddles Wales and England, where we can all camp and keep our distance in our respective countries, and a marquee thingy in the middle with cake and an urn, right?!?
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Verena wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:39 pm So what we need is a field or wood that straddles Wales and England, where we can all camp and keep our distance in our respective countries, and a marquee thingy in the middle with cake and an urn, right?!?
That sounds like the winter bivy 2years back , but the marquee was replaced with a choice of pubs
There you go Stu you can call next years “Break for the boarder” :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So what we need is a field or wood that straddles Wales and England, where we can all camp and keep our distance in our respective countries, and a marquee thingy in the middle with cake and an urn, right?!?
No, my understanding is that we can't have more than 30 folk ... I could be completely wrong here though, as it's hard to keep up. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

30 max and that's assuming you have someone who has been through the certification process with British Cycling and the correct procedures are in place.
RIP

Post by RIP »

? It's not a led ride or have I misunderstood? Where's this new guideline described, am interested to read about it.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's not a led ride or have I misunderstood?
No.
30 max and that's assuming you have someone who has been through the certification process with British Cycling and the correct procedures are in place.
Why is this Colin? I thought the ruling in Wales was an outside gathering of up to 30 people. I'm not sure why BC would need to be involved?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:47 am I'm not sure why BC would need to be involved?
Yes I don't follow that bit either. If they were, it'd be the kiss of death for the style of the 'event' and that's speaking as a BC Coach :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ah, "rule of 6" doesn't apply in Wales then?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ah, "rule of 6" doesn't apply in Wales then?
Oh, I'm sure it does but not in the context of outdoor sport.
a gathering of people exercising or playing sport together must not exceed 30 people.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, we have the 30 person limit too but it requires the certification I mentioned. Without that, we are limited to max of 6 folk from max of 2 households.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I think Stu should tell BC about anyway, just for a laugh. Be fascinating to see what they make of it :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, we have the 30 person limit too but it requires the certification I mentioned. Without that, we are limited to max of 6 folk from max of 2 households.
Ooh, no mention of that on the Gov website.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:31 am
No, my understanding is that we can't have more than 30 folk ... I could be completely wrong here though, as it's hard to keep up. :wink:
I know...it was wishful joking...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well, it's nice to know that many people would still be willing to partake - so thank you for that. However (knew that was coming didn't you), it's looking increasingly doubtful that there will be a winter event in January.

I've looked at many different options - some don't even include travelling to Wales - but in the uncertain times that undoubtedly lay ahead, none of them are guaranteed to come off. Personally, my feeling is that January will likely become lock-down central throughout the entire UK with limited movement for all. Yes, we could carry on and hope that matters take an upturn but if that isn't the case, then dealing with refunds, etc costs money and time.

It's a shame as it would have been the 10th anniversary but while we're trapped inside some weird 80's sci-fi film, then there's not a lot we can do.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:12 am Well, it's nice to know that many people would still be willing to partake - so thank you for that. However (knew that was coming didn't you), it's looking increasingly doubtful that there will be a winter event in January.

I've looked at many different options - some don't even include travelling to Wales - but in the uncertain times that undoubtedly lay ahead, none of them are guaranteed to come off. Personally, my feeling is that January will likely become lock-down central throughout the entire UK with limited movement for all. Yes, we could carry on and hope that matters take an upturn but if that isn't the case, then dealing with refunds, etc costs money and time.

It's a shame as it would have been the 10th anniversary but while we're trapped inside some weird 80's sci-fi film, then there's not a lot we can do.
Bugger...

:cry:

Si
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think it's almost inevitable that some sort of additional restrictions will be required in January to deal with the behaviour of folk over the festive period.
Verena

Post by Verena »

So the 2021 WRT will be all the sweeter for it....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So the 2021 WRT will be all the sweeter for it....
You'd think so but there's this nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The Spanish Flu epidemic took two years and the second year was much worse than the first...
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

How about a Zwift version? :wink: :lol:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Given what we know now. And that they are already talking about adding a 4th tier here in England starting with the North West (where I live), which I guess will be like Wales's current no travel one, there is no way that this virus is going to clear by early January.
As mentioned above the Spanish flu took 2 years, We have to suck it up until this time next year at least, so we need to start admitting this to ourselves and learn to live with it.
I'd love to do the Winter Event as I've never missed one since it started I don't think, but I need to change my vote from yes to no for this coming January.

Until a large cross section of the public have had the virus herd immunity will not work, the vaccines won't be 100% as the virus mutates throughout its life.
Next spring as the weather warms up again people will be having Covid parties not kids having chicken pox parties
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I need to change my vote from yes to no for this coming January.
You really don't have to John.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:16 pm
I need to change my vote from yes to no for this coming January.
You really don't have to John.
With our usual innovative spirit we'll have to come up with summat similar to the V-WRT. I shall relish sending you off to bivvy on Formby beach JC :smile: .

I think I've exhausted pretty much every bivvy spot in my garden short of kipping on the compost heap though. At least that'd be nice and warm.

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Probably wouldn't have been the same without the bothy experience, but still... shame.