1.) GRX 812 rear mech £85
2.) GRX 1 x RH Shifter, shift mecanism shot to bits £186
3.) Chain £15
4.) Brake Pads front and rear (brand new on)£30
5.) Cables £10
6.) Exposure 8.7amp Support Cell £80
7.) Bar Tape £30

Total - £436!
I am hoping to get the items in Bold covered by warranty though!
Mike

Re: What gear did you break on the BB200/300

Post by Mike »

:shock: how did u manage to break so much on one ride??
slarge

Post by slarge »

Blimey. My bike performed perfectly.

It was me who was the complete letdown!
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Wow that's a list Alex
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
psling

Post by psling »

Mike wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:26 pm :shock: how did u manage to break so much on one ride??
I think the clue is in the last item, bar tape (and the GRX shifter). Looks like an mtb is the tool du jour for this years event from the reports so far.... :shock:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

psling wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:45 am
Mike wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:26 pm :shock: how did u manage to break so much on one ride??
I think the clue is in the last item, bar tape (and the GRX shifter). Looks like an mtb is the tool du jour for this years event from the reports so far.... :shock:
It could have happened on a Mtb too...freak accident, and got unlucky. The bike was more than capable - or should have been.
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

I’d say a Brompton would be more appropriate. Easier to carry!
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
psling

Post by psling »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:32 am
It could have happened on a Mtb too...freak accident, and got unlucky. The bike was more than capable - or should have been.
Yeah, I've read your report now; you were doing really well too. Sh1t happens :cry:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
psling

Post by psling »

shutuplegs wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:38 am
I’d say a Brompton would be more appropriate. Easier to carry!
:lol: :lol:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

2 rear lights
1 Stop Being Soft sticker
1 pair of gaiters
1 pair of gloves
1 mind
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

Exposure light but that's come back to life after a day on the radiator, much like myself!
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

The bike and kit were all great, but my arse is feeling pretty broken today!

Probably due a chain swap though before I ruin another cassette.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Landslide wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:27 am 1 mind
:lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Been thinking and thinking over this question. Its finally come to me. After the fifth climb walking towards Cricklewell (probably 10 miles before it) my back reall started feeling it. Then I thought of Stu and his new hat. Then I thoughtof bikepacking.com and wondered whether people like me should even be attempting such a sill ride. Especially if Stu plans to keep making em harder and harder to 'keep up with thw Jones's'...

Anyway, my back. Liwer back been aching ever since I left Wales and was aching on them climbs walking. Final answer, my lower back...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:47 pm Been thinking and thinking over this question. Its finally come to me. After the fifth climb walking towards Cricklewell (probably 10 miles before it) my back reall started feeling it. Then I thought of Stu and his new hat. Then I thoughtof bikepacking.com and wondered whether people like me should even be attempting such a sill ride.
There's a fundamental question in there about why you are doing the ride and what you hope to get out of it. Personally, I take my bike because I like riding it. The more HAB there is, the more I wish I'd left it behind and just had my boots on. I'm not a great believer in the Type 2/3 fun concept. Having said that, the idea behind the likes of the BB200 is that it is a challenge, not just a pootle. On my only BB200 I could have got round quicker but decided that, as I'd driven all the way down to Wales, I might as well see some of it and not ride a lot in the dark. That was my own personal balancing act. You need to find yours.
redefined_cycles

Colin... For me its the challenge of it all as well as seeing the beauty of 'wherever'. Then, by managing such a ride, everything else of lesser 'shafting' becoems real fun (IMO)... Really doubt I could attempt such a feat (of this and 2014 proportions) again and maybe after the 2021 version I might need to rethink my limits (which actually aren't that much)...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

BUT you got round last year Shaf , so this year was harder and you quit , your not the only one but they’ll all be back next year , I’m yet to start (mid term when I’m off) so can’t comment on how difficult it’ll be as with ground conditions and weather being different for all of us this year it may be easier or worse , just because you jacked this year shouldn’t put you off again that’s if you actually enjoy it .So wipe your mouth and stop worrying about jacking and start getting yourself right for next year (tough love over) :lol:
As I always say to my lad the biggest hurdle is putting yourself back in the ring after he’s taken a beating , once he got over that the rest came natural again :wink:
redefined_cycles

:lol: thanks uncle MaM... Yup, am firmly and thoroughly back in the ring. Another reason (probably the biggest) that I feel the need to do this type 2 (definitely not type 3 as I was rather enjoying it even before arriving back at car... well as soon as I'd gotten back to the road that is) fun is so the kids feel they need to get out there and doing aswell. Won't encourage em on a BB off course, but...

Anyway, firmly back in the ring as my 410g backpack is ordered and soon in transit. As is my new (cheapest version of) SOL emergency bivvy. Got myself a 2 man jobby, rightly or wrongly.

^^^ Just short of a KG dropped just there :smile: (not that its the be all and end all).
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:49 pm Just counting my tally...

3.) Chain £15
5.) Cables £10
7.) Bar Tape £30

Total - £436!
8.)My right knee. Turns out riding back in a 40 11 gear for 65km has not been good for it. Had to stand up pedal and grind my way back. Currently on Zwift struggling to output 150W! Oops
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Especially if Stu plans to keep making em harder and harder to 'keep up with thw Jones's'...
Shaf' if we forget about 2014 (and to be honest, that just proved that people need to think very hard about what they wish for :wink: ), they don't get harder year on year. Each year is different and needs to be taken on its own merits. Don't try and put them into some sort of context or scale.
Then I thought of bikepacking.com and wondered whether people like me should even be attempting such a sill ride.
You should pay more attention to what you read. Had you, then you'd know that the route published by bikepacking.com (something which seems to be playing on your mind) was a modified version. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 pm
Especially if Stu plans to keep making em harder and harder to 'keep up with thw Jones's'...
Shaf' if we forget about 2014 (and to be honest, that just proved that people need to think very hard about what they wish for :wink: ), they don't get harder year on year. Each year is different and needs to be taken on its own merits. Don't try and put them into some sort of context or scale.
Then I thought of bikepacking.com and wondered whether people like me should even be attempting such a sill ride.
You should pay more attention to what you read. Had you, then you'd know that the route published by bikepacking.com (something which seems to be playing on your mind) was a modified version. :wink:
Aha... Yes, I think I recall that now (it was some time ago, relatively speaking)... They had a slightly abridged version :-bd Am I right.

Dont get me wrong Stu, twas lovely (othereise I'd not be thinking about another attempt before 2020 expires)
redefined_cycles

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:08 pm
Alexinthepeaks wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:49 pm Just counting my tally...

3.) Chain £15
5.) Cables £10
7.) Bar Tape £30

Total - £436!
8.)My right knee. Turns out riding back in a 40 11 gear for 65km has not been good for it. Had to stand up pedal and grind my way back. Currently on Zwift struggling to output 150W! Oops
Alex... Maybe you need some RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation !?)
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

1 x Exposure Lights Trace
1 x Exposure Lights Trace-R
1 x Sense of humour.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

1 x Sense of humour.
Careful, that's usually the beginning of the end. Hopefully you were able to patch it up and tape it back together :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:13 am
1 x Sense of humour.
Careful, that's usually the beginning of the end. Hopefully you were able to patch it up and tape it back together :wink:
Already on the mend thankfully and selective memory being used :lol:
But genuinely... I think you have a thing about steep road climbs. Maybe you like the sounds of the tyres dragging and ripping up 25%+ gradients?