Dropper post

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ozboz

Dropper post

Post by ozboz »

I have a DP on my MTB it was part of the original spec ,:I really do not need it , can you just take it out and replace it with a normal one ,( and sell it on ) ie, has the seat tube been designed to accommodate it ? Or can I just disconnect the cable and it should stay at the same height ?
Cheers
redefined_cycles

Re: Dropper post

Post by redefined_cycles »

Dependent on dropper post probably but generally, as long as you disconnect the cable (assuming its not hydraulic hosed, for which I have no real knowledge but asauming it would be more involved disconnection) at whichever height you desire then it should just stay at that height.

Personally I'd be looking to remove and ebay it and replacing with s standard post as its a lot of dead weight you'd be lugging about
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

Cheers , I think I’ll take it off there are a few seat posts in the parts bag I can use , ,as it is a 1 x drivetrain I have had a thought about installing an SLX hollow tech tripple chain ring that I had on my old GT, that should boost the mph on my rides , I’ll can use the cable routing for the front deraileur ,
FLV

Post by FLV »

ozboz wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:01 am ,as it is a 1 x drivetrain I have had a thought about installing an SLX hollow tech tripple chain ring that I had on my old GT,
All that depends on the frame and other bits. Apologies if I'm telling you what you know...
If the frame is boost (148mm rear) then the chainset and rings may not have clearance to the chainstay, pop it in and have a look.

There's the whole chainline game that goes with it, assuming your old chainset won't be boost. (Dunno if a triple that's boost is a thing).

Aaand if it all fits you are likely to need a longer chain... Which may mean new cassette...
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

I’m not sure what boost means .,.,,,
Anyway it went in there and is turning ok, the chain sits well on the SLX large ring , but could only use the small ring when I’m in the big rings at th back , otherwise the chain is way to slack , but as said it’s the larger ring I wanted which is 44. Should get a bit more womph now ,
Thanks for advice 😉
FLV

Post by FLV »

Boost is just what they call the wider hub / chainset standard.

Basically hubs
QR as we all know it = 135mm hub width
Thru axle = 142mm hub width
Both put the cassette in the same Place
Boost = 148mm hub width, moves the cassette outboard 3mm

Chainsets
Normal with whatever chainline it has to
Boost moves the chainline outboard 3mm

Generally doesnt matter with chainsets but some boost frames have wider chainstays to go round fatter tyres so some chainrings on non boost chainsets may not fit on boost frames.

As you say, yours fits so... who cares :-bd
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

Thanks for the info re; Boost Frames,
It is handy to know for future reference ,
Things do come out of the ‘blue’ so to speak , when you start modifying the oem,
as I’m Replacing the dropper post the seat post has a wider diameter than all my pare posts , but quick fix ... but a shim about 3 sobs from Planet X ,
On the plus side , removing the dropper post cable gives me nice internal cable routing for the triple derailleur I’m going to fit ,
Cheers