Another sleeping bag query ........ sorry

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Leerowe76

Another sleeping bag query ........ sorry

Post by Leerowe76 »

:| https://alpkit.com/collections/sleeping ... edream-400

Anybody used the pipedream -400 from alpkit, looking for a new 3 season bag for the colder months. Obviously the reviews look good but can sometimes be very different in reality also would you recommend any alternatives to this for around the same money
Cheers boners
Last edited by Leerowe76 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
ootini

Re: Another sleeping bag querie ........ sorry

Post by ootini »

I was considering this bag, but now Stu is stocking the Criterion bags, the Ultralight 350 is now just ahead as my choice of upgrade.
The Alpkit bags are meant to be very good, but I've no personal experience of them.
Matt C

Re: Another sleeping bag query ........ sorry

Post by Matt C »

I've got the long version of one of the Alpkit bags (it's a mid weight down, not sure of the model). I was pleasantly surprised. The extra length is great for avoiding cold feet, and the thing overall is light but well made with hydrophobic down and water repellent outer shell. Not as robust as my Rab bags, but a hell of a lot cheaper..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had a 400 some time ago. It was well made and decent quality. However, I ended up selling it because of the differential fill (more down on top than the bottom) as a side sleeper I found that I'd roll over and take the bag with me which resulted in a cold back.

I should say that many manufacturers make their bags in exactly the same way because in theory it's a good idea and if you turn in the bag or simply lie on your back then all's well. Weirdly, when I turn over under a quilt, it tends to stay put and I gracefully move beneath it.

Anyway, something to perhaps be aware of.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

Just checked and it is the Pipedream 400 I've got, so that's a first hand review. Warmth wise it does me for most of the year (so fair to say 3 season), I'm a warm sleeper and tend to have it in a bivvy bag which adds a bit of insultation, but I've woken up covered in frost a few times and been plenty comfortable.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Spot on cheers chaps, just wanted to check before parting with the dosh
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've got both the 400 and 200. They both seem to be fairly true to their stated comfort temperatures (I think I sleep a bit cold). No complaints on the construction etc.
Sameer

Post by Sameer »

Leerowe76 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:37 am Spot on cheers chaps, just wanted to check before parting with the dosh
What's your experience been like with this bag Lee?
sterobe

Post by sterobe »

I've got a Pipedream 400. Used for maybe 4 trips and it always kept me snug. Seems to be well made. I'm thinking of selling though as I really want to try a quilt instead as I move around so much and generally sleep on front and side.

If you're interested, send me a message and I can send pics and discuss a price...
underwater basket weaver
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Sameer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:13 am
Leerowe76 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:37 am Spot on cheers chaps, just wanted to check before parting with the dosh
What's your experience been like with this bag Lee?
Works well mate, light enough for what I need super comfy and warm although not used in cold conditions as yet