Asposium

Top loop of the HT550 vs Cairngorms Loop? Recommendations which please

Post by Asposium »

Me and two friends are heading up to ride in scotland next week

thoughts are the cairngorms loop or the top loop of the HT550
https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MzQ1ODM2Ng==

three or four days riding.

don't want to break either of them.

like the idea of riding near the coast of the HT550 top loop; however, how interesting is that section?

weather looks slightly better in the north-west
https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/ ... /long.html

ta
Last edited by Asposium on Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chew

Re: how interesting is the top loop of the HT550?

Post by Chew »

Asposium wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:35 pm don't want to break either of them.
Do the Cairngorms loop
whitestone

Re: how interesting is the top loop of the HT550?

Post by whitestone »

Chew wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:37 pm
Asposium wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:35 pm don't want to break either of them.
Do the Cairngorms loop
Now that's just cruel :lol:

They are both good in different ways. Three days for either is very steady but does depend on the weather, the first time I did the Northern Loop of the HT550 there was a strong easterly gale, so strong I could track stand on 20% slopes without applying the brakes! On last month's Cairngorm Loop group start I was screaming at the wind when heading up from the Linn of Dee.

Hardest bits of the CL are from Nethy Bridge to Linn of Dee and from the Geldie Burn over to Glen Feshie, maybe 30km in total.

The hard bits of the northern loop are Gobernuisgach Lodge to Lone and the Lochinver-Ledmore traverse. Probably a similar distance, maybe a bit less.

The Bealach Horn part of the Northern Loop feels very remote, apart from the stalker's track you follow I don't think you can see any other sign of human habitation or activity. Some feel spooked out by this but I find it great. The Ledmore Traverse is frustrating, it looks as though you could ride it but someone swapped out your bike's wheels for square ones :lol:

The outer loop of the Cairngorms Loop would probably fit the bill, instead of turning right just before Ryvoan bothy to head over Bynack Mor, go straight on and pick up the outer loop in Nethy Forest then when you get to the Geldie Burn head down Glen Tilt. That would be two and a half to three steady days with no night riding and never really going up high.

You might need to check what facilities are open up in the NW - there's not much there to begin with.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Re: Top loop of the HT550 vs Cairngorms Loop? Recommendations which please

Post by GregMay »

Classic Cairngorms outer loop, finish down Glen Tilt not over the stupid bit :)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Unless you really want to ride one of those 2 my suggestion would be the Lomond Trossachs Loop.

Same distance as the CL but with loads more supply options. It's got hard bits, easy bits and lots of ways to bail or cut out sections if required.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
robbie

Post by robbie »

Deeside trail would be my recommendation.
There are covid restrictions in the central belt area so lots of places closed in loch lomond area.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'd give the top loop of the HT a miss as the riding isn't that great in places. Scenery is though but best done in a dry spring. Deeside Trail for ace riding or Cairngorms outer loop for easier riding and good scenery. Much better chance of good weather in the 'gorms than the north west
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

robbie wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:00 pm There are covid restrictions in the central belt area so lots of places closed in loch lomond area.
I hadn't thought of that, I've not kept up with the restrictions since I got back. That's a shame for the businesses, it looked like they were mainly open in September.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
robbie

Post by robbie »

Tbh Sean I can't keep up with it all.
Pubs all over Scotland have restricted hours and different with beer gardens.
But central belt has had all pubs closed for 3 weekend's starting tonight. Not sure how it effects cafe's tbh. I was heading to Callander area tomorrow but now going north!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cairngorm Outer Loop is basically all rideable and can be broken down into easy day options with resupply. It's all very wet at the moment but river levels are fine. As Greg says, you could skip Fealar Lodge too.

Outside of the central belt; cafes can open 6:00 to 18:00, no alcohol. Pubs can serve alcohol outside only.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Outer Cairngorm Loop and then Glen Tilt finish as others have said would get my vote.
The northern loop of the 550 is great, but will involve a lot of pushing with the ground as wet as it is (it involves a fair bit of pushing when dry to be fair!)
postierich

Post by postierich »

Personally if you have 4 days I would do the middle loop of the HT550(starting and finishing in Cannick) missing Loch Stac and the path of a thousand puddles :-) did it a couple of weeks ago and it was running well, the changes are a bit marmite for me but its all riding/pushing.
Found lots of shops closed and hotels only serving guests on the middle loop sure its like that all over
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Ive been really keen for a trip and been considering lots of similar options. If I'm going up before the end of the stag season on the 20th I think ill stick to the more popular options such as the outer loop with Glen Tilt. I might be overthinking this but I'd be a bit distracted expecting an awkward conversation especially in the Strathvaich and the Achfary areas. Its worth reading the comment about the route on the HT550 website. Definitely a tricky balancing act between weather, covid, supplies, stalking(assuming thats still going ahead) and route choice.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As I've said before, I've been hiking and biking in the Scottish Highlands for 40-odd years and I've only once been asked to take a diversion due to stalking activity. I seriously don't give it a second thought when I'm route planning.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Just be aware that if you're from more than two households then you could be breaking some restrictions.
Also if you give an address that is from an area in lockdown, then you may get knocked back.

Would definitely recommend the outer Cairngorm Loop, but ride the inner loop from Feshiebridge & carry-on past Ryvoan to join the outer loop.
Rucksacks in Braemar is a good place to stay.
The Fire Station Cafe in Tomintoul is closed, but the cafe in the shop opposite is open..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!