Recommend me a front light

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Recommend me a front light

Post by woodsmith »

Loooking to buy a front light for on and off road riding. No idea how many lummens I should be looking for. USB recharchable if posssible. I don't run a dynamo if that affects choices. Looking to spend less than £100,

Found this : https://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain ... /lumen800/

Any experience with the above or recommendations for others.
sean_iow

Re: Recommend me a front light

Post by sean_iow »

I've got an older mtb batteries light and at that price point I don't think you can get better value.

You get great support and backup, he fixed an issue with mine when it was years after the warranty had run out.

You could get similar from China cheaper but there's always the possibility it will burst into flames and burn your house down when charging.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I don't have an mtbbatteries light but every dealing I have had with him about other stuff (alternative exposure battery packs, replacement packs for cheap Chinese lights) have been great.

I always seem to hear good things about the lights and other peoples dealings with them and Troutie was always very positive about them.

I think Sean is write, great alternative to buying Chinese lights for a relatively small price premium.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

I have this light too, albeit an earlier version, good bit of kit, the glowing green button is a bit irritating to me but apart from that can’t fault it. :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

dont buy chinese ebay types as the batteries dont last and there are reports of them burning when charged -the light units seem ok but their lumen measures are inflated.

never had a light from him but have had batteries and very pleased with the service
The issues to consider for a light are IMHO
1) How many lumens do you want -mine are only ever on full power for descents personally. I would want about 1000 lumens personally but i am blind in one eye so really need a lot of light as i have limited depth perception. YMMV My road dynamo one is only 700 ;but its a dynamo one] and i find that fine for road use including unlit roads.
2) How long will the battery last - got to be long enough for your rides
3) can you put it on your helmet[is it light in weight terms] -If i only had one light off road i would want it on my head as the bars dont always point where you are going

Mine is an old troutie light but its more lumens than I will ever need so not up to speed on what is available,
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

MtbBatts from here too. Amazing value and never let me down for almost 4 years now. Bought mine (Lumenator) after input from this very forum :-bd thanks again
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

This is a pretty amazing light - seriously bright.
600 lumens, USB rechargeable. Good company, not dangerous stuff from the far east.
Only £25

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moon-Vortex- ... Sw0uRffzKt

Or the 800 lumen version for £40
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moon-Vortex- ... SwtQ5diiMh
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a MTB Batteries Lumenator I'm not using. Battery has been charged every few months. If you fancy it for £40, let me know.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Only ever used Exposure lights so can't really comment on any others, yes they can be a little pricey but never had any trouble with mine and to my knowledge none of my mates have had trouble with theirs either.
Bar mounted Maxx-d & Joystick on the lid work well together.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a Joystick (Mk11?) for helmet duties. I've also a Hope Vision 2 for bar mounting but it's one of the originals so has less output than the Joystick! Just 500 lumens I believe - the newer R2 is 1000 lumens. Shows just how things have moved on in the ten years or so between the two lights.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Thanks for all the feedback. I've ordered the Lumen 800.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:34 pm Thanks for all the feedback. I've ordered the Lumen 800.
Very good choice. If its anything like the Lumenator you'll love it
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Borderer wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:41 pm This is a pretty amazing light - seriously bright.
600 lumens, USB rechargeable. Good company, not dangerous stuff from the far east.
Only £25

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moon-Vortex- ... Sw0uRffzKt

Or the 800 lumen version for £40
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moon-Vortex- ... SwtQ5diiMh
Might buy myself a second one at that price, ta! I managed 8 hours at strathpuffer using one of those vortex light, very impressed with it as it's also done a couple of years as a commuting light.