Do you still cycle tour "traditionally"?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mythste

Do you still cycle tour "traditionally"?

Post by Mythste »

There is a reason for asking the question!

I'm off on a "micro trip" this weekend. Me and a pal, campsite that's reasonably local. We're north Manchester, heading to a site in Edale. Leave about 3pm, get there, pitch up, go and sit outside the pub until we can't feel our extremities, then head back to sleep and leave early doors. Stay as far away from anyone else as we can.

It's been ages since I've been on an overnighter (some of you might remember my botched attempt at the end of August :oops: ) and as one is wont to do in such situations, I'm sat at work today considering what luggage options I take. The route is mainly on road with a short bit of canal. 40 ish miles with 3k ft climbing, nothing mental. I really want to throw all my bikepacking gear on my CdF but ultimately, especially considering the weather, rack and panniers feels like the more sensible option. I'm going to have a play around this evening but it got me thinking;

For you hardcore bikepackers, do you still put in the occasional road tour with a full pannier outfit? Or are you fully converted?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Do you still cycle tour "traditionally"?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Personally, I've never really used a rack / pannier set up. No matter where I'm going, I still aim to carry the minimum I can. I don't ever see the point in taking more than I have to, so I'm never in need of the kind of capacity a rack / panniers provides.
May the bridges you burn light your way
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Yes, my "road" bike (CX bike with 35mm tyres) has a front and rear rack. I put panniers on the rear rack - much easier than bikepacking stuff.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just use whatever feels sensible. Panniers aren't going to fall to bits on a bit of canal tow path. Perhaps the main downside to panniers is the "I've got all this room so I need to fill it" trap. But that's also the benefit to them for when you need to take lots of kit, well provisions.

I've not used the rack and panniers for years but they are still there in the loft, just in case.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

It's 40 miles, one night, and with a pub to hand.

Stick the sleeping bag, roll mat and bivi bag in the saddle pack with a toothbrush and toothpaste along with a fleece or something. Headtorch in your pocket along with the debit card.

That's all you will need for one night if you are going to a pub for drinks and food. Stop somewhere for brekkie on Sunday, so only water needed, or push it out to a small stove if you need a hot cuppa in the morning.

Enjoy.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:48 am Personally, I've never really used a rack / pannier set up. No matter where I'm going, I still aim to carry the minimum I can. I don't ever see the point in taking more than I have to, so I'm never in need of the kind of capacity a rack / panniers provides.
I do envy this approach you know. I've always been of the "You don't gotta go fast, you just gotta get there" church, but I think that's actually holding back my "bikepacking" ambitions somewhat. I'm spoilt for choice which is a lovely position to be in, might have a play tonight and look at what the weight differences are because I honestly have no idea what any of my kit weighs - and then start playing the "do I need" game.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

The most important thing is that you do it and don't let these sort of decisions prevent you from going out. But.... I do agree with Stu and others that you will enjoy your trip a lot more if the bike is lighter. I started out with panniers and even did some fairly gnarly bikepacking type stuff with them, but once I switched to bikepacking luggage I couldn't go back to all that weight. But if it's a choice between using panniers or not going out then just go with the panniers.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I do envy this approach you know.
I've always said that 'bikepacking' is a mindset above all else but I'm also lazy in some regards - I hate packing and unpacking and I dislike faff :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

Borderer wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:06 am The most important thing is that you do it and don't let these sort of decisions prevent you from going out. But.... I do agree with Stu and others that you will enjoy your trip a lot more if the bike is lighter. I started out with panniers and even did some fairly gnarly bikepacking type stuff with them, but once I switched to bikepacking luggage I couldn't go back to all that weight. But if it's a choice between using panniers or not going out then just go with the panniers.
I quite agree! I do have bikepacking kit, a number of available bikes, and some decent quality gear (for a beginner!)

I've done heavy laden multi-week touring across the hebrides and wales on road so I kinda know what I'm about in terms of making sure I'm alright but I really do feel the need for belt and braces. This was also raised in the other thread about "improving" bike packing.

This weekend is as much about me gaining confidence in the colder months as I don't want to go into hibernation until the sun comes up again next May. I am taking a small stove and we're eating at the camp site rather than at the pub, again for our own sort of "development!".

I think I'm gonna take the general advice and go "bikepacking" mode and see what I can cut down on.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Never toured so (apart from one of those quick rack things that came up on another thread) I've never had a pannier set-up.

Might be worth using the trip as an exercise in how little you can get away with carrying and yet still manage? Sure you could chuck the panniers on and take an excess of kit but it might be confidence building to just use a saddle pack and bar bag with only the essential gear you can fit in. If it goes well then you know it works. If it's a disaster then you'll have learnt about one set-up that doesn't work but in a very "forgiving" environment where failure will just probably be a bit chilly and damp. Better environment to experiment with some things than the Cairngorms Loop or somewhere else equally remote, high and potentially *extreme* :wink:

As almost everyone else has said though just getting out and doing something is a win :cool:

EDIT - ah, you seem to have come round to it anyway - ignore me :wink:
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:21 am Never toured so (apart from one of those quick rack things that came up on another thread) I've never had a pannier set-up.

Might be worth using the trip as an exercise in how little you can get away with carrying and yet still manage? Sure you could chuck the panniers on and take an excess of kit but it might be confidence building to just use a saddle pack and bar bag with only the essential gear you can fit in. If it goes well then you know it works. If it's a disaster then you'll have learnt about one set-up that doesn't work but in a very "forgiving" environment where failure will just probably be a bit chilly and damp. Better environment to experiment with some things than the Cairngorms Loop or somewhere else equally remote, high and potentially *extreme* :wink:

As almost everyone else has said though just getting out and doing something is a win :cool:

EDIT - ah, you seem to have come round to it anyway - ignore me :wink:
It's all additional pressure for when I inevitbly have a wobble about it later :lol:

Contrary to a lot of forum go-ers (not necessarily here, but you know what I mean), I come with an open mind!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've not done a multi-day road trip for a while but I reckon I'll strap the panniers back on when I do.

I wouldn't use them for a one-nighter though.
psling

Post by psling »

I know we do the 'what is bikepacking', soft luggage v panniers discussions fairly regularly but when does a bike trip become a 'tour'?
Is it a matter of how many days/nights? Is a 'tour' a series of rides between pre-arranged accommodation? Or is it a matter of using panniers rather than soft luggage?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

psling wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:06 am I know we do the 'what is bikepacking', soft luggage v panniers discussions fairly regularly but when does a bike trip become a 'tour'?
Is it a matter of how many days/nights? Is a 'tour' a series of rides between pre-arranged accommodation? Or is it a matter of using panniers rather than soft luggage?
It's a fair question, but in this instance I suppose I'm referring to journeying on smooth(ish) tarmac and thus not having to pay consideration to the terrain when choosing luggage options.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think the words are synonymous. One has just become more fashionable than the other. However, I think we can use them to help differentiate luggage types. If I was to say "bikepacking bags" then most folk would realise I didn't mean panniers.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

To me bikepacking = touring and touring = bikepacking.

As for the luggage. Don’t overthink it. In a lot of ways panniers will be easier to just chuck some stuff in and head out - if you have the racks on already - if not use the soft bags.
Have a nice trip.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I think the last time I used panniers other than for commuting was doing an after-work overnighter with a colleague where it was easier just to chuck stuff into panniers for the relatively short distance rather than faffing with soft luggage. Does that mean I was touring?*

*Rhetorical question, please don't answer! :grin:
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:26 pm I think the last time I used panniers other than for commuting was doing an after-work overnighter with a colleague where it was easier just to chuck stuff into panniers for the relatively short distance rather than faffing with soft luggage. Does that mean I was touring?*

*Rhetorical question, please don't answer! :grin:
In the context of my question, I think so, yes! :grin:

Last time I loaded up with panniers properly I was at close to 50kg - but that was with a weeks worth of food too!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

For your overnighter I'd say go with just the bare minimum, as Cheddar Man says, tent (split between you), sleeping mat and sleeping bag, some night clothes, toothbrush & paste plus a bit of trail food is all you need. (I'll assume you'll have some tools and spares anyway)

There's a video on bikepacking.com from Neil Beltchenko - https://bikepacking.com/plan/gravel-bik ... gear-list/ where he goes through his kit for a 650 mile, six day ride Wyoming to the US/Canadian border or similar. There's really not a lot in there - he had two pairs of bib shorts, wore one set for three days then swapped just as an example. I think he carried five evening meals as well.

I've done traditional touring with panniers and heavy load and also credit card touring - basically a saddlebag with evening clothes - these happened to be on the same bike, the latter was much more pleasant if not quite as flexible. That was with "traditional" kit, with more modern kit I'd be able to get away with much less. Perhaps it's a difference in mindset, with the traditional panniers you didn't race along and there was much more stopping and taking in the view or more cake! My wife did LeJoG with a small Carradice saddlebag, stopped in YHAs and the like but it was perfectly doable: breakfast; ride a couple of hours; coffee; ride a couple of hours; lunch; ride a couple of hours; tea; ride to next stop; go to pub; repeat.

At the other extreme, check out some of Gian's (Alpinum) shots where he's in South America and needs to carry several days' worth of food AND water - he's got panniers on his fat bike. Similar setups apply for arctic trips like the Rovaniemi 300 where you have to carry food and fuel for five days.

No one "right" answer, just choose the most appropriate tool for the job.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yup. I use bikepacking kit as I'm still looking for fun road or track descents which panniers detract from a bit. But always nice to do easy riding, stop lots, use digs or campsites instead of a ditch, and drink lots of nice beer.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Mythste wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:14 am It's a fair question, but in this instance I suppose I'm referring to journeying on smooth(ish) tarmac and thus not having to pay consideration to the terrain when choosing luggage options.
OK in that case, yes. I started out with road touring and come back to it as my preferred way to travel from time to time. Mountain biker at heart/from the start but I do like the distance and smooth travel of road touring. I use bikepacking kit still for same reasons Stuart mentions - minimalism or simplicity is part of the appeal of this kind of travel and the less I carry the further I can go. I've used BnBs on these trips before and tend to either bivi (mostly) or use BnB/refuges when it's wet or I need a dry-off night in comfort.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

On my solitary 4 day road tour I just used my bikepacking bags. I was credit card touring so 20-25l or so of storage was more than enough and even allowed me luxuries like an extra set of clothes, a kindle and deodorant!
ton

Post by ton »

me and the wife tour 3 or 4 times a year.
on the road using a good rack and panniers just makes far better sense.
it keeps your gear tidier. and also feels far better whilst riding the bike.

however, the rougher the terrain, the need for softer luggage makes more sense.
panniers tend to rattle about a bit off road.
good soft luggage doesnt as much.

horses for courses.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I doubt I ever will as I sold my panniers and rack a few months back. They served me well but the handling of bikepacking bags on the bike is in a different league. Panniers are lethal :o
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I still use panniers. Mainly for mini trips that I decide at the absolute last minute. Typically it is half an hour or less packing and planning, an hour riding, 8 hours sleeping, an hour riding, usually on a school night as a circuit breaker style thing. I can pack them fast where I keep my kit, and simply hook them on, equally reversed in the morning. The ten minute faff fitting soft bags feels too much to actually get out the door.

Objectively they are heavier, give worse handling, and the packing effort benefit is more in the head over soft luggage but they work in this case. These trips are more about the sleeping out than the riding so that trade off works for me.

I would not want to do any wheel off the ground level bits, either techie terrain or lifting over gates, but did the TNR(Torino Nice Rally, a gravel/road event across the Alps) with them as they were my only carrying equipment at the time. Front low rider rack gives much better handling than on the rear. Could waggle the bike climbing uphill and weight on the front wheel was grippy.