Do you still cycle tour "traditionally"?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mr conners

Re: Do you still cycle tour "traditionally"?

Post by Mr conners »

Whatever you do, ensure you actually get out and just ride/tour/bike pack. Don’t overthink it, your not racing. Try to ensure you’re comfortable, prepared for getting wet and cold but just enjoy it. If you read too much bolloc#s about weight, kit, bikes etc you’ll constantly think you’ve made bad choices and ride with this going on in your head (I’ve done it).
So pack up your bike and learn as you go, it’s the best way. You’ll always take stuff you don’t use whatever your setup.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

You will all undoubtedly be pleased to know that I did indeed get out, I didn't die, and I remembered my tent poles. In fact I had a bloody delightful time, even climbing Mam Tor the morning after.

Bike inc. kit weighed a portly 24kg and I know I have areas of improvement. I didn't take the kitchen sink but my new bag and mat worked impeccably. (Robens Colair 350 and Exped Synmat 7). I was positively cosy even waking up at 3am and seeing 4 degrees on the Garmin!

It's a baby step, but it's in the right direction. I don't have a bivvy bag yet but my Alpkit soloist will see me through the rest of this season with a view to committing to a bivvy and tarp next spring.

My question now is where should my next short rde be to? I'll be sticking to the roads mainly for the next one, then the new bike which will open up more off-road options should be with my by December.

Thanks for all the advice previous, it made me consider and re-consider a bunch of stuff, and I've even, for the first time in my cycling career, actually started weighing things. Who knew.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nice one.

It's always reassuring when your expensive kit choices work out.

And every trip is a lesson😁
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

:-bd
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:43 pm Nice one.

It's always reassuring when your expensive kit choices work out.

And every trip is a lesson😁
4 degrees and cosy after a few pints means I'll be cosy at 0 degrees sober, right? :shock: :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Smashing.

Next trip? How about a tour (did I say that) of the lanes of Shropshire?
May the bridges you burn light your way
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

If you're in north Manchester there's a lot of good cycling in between Frodsham and Winsford in Cheshire, with lots of easy off road (bridleways and towpaths), cycle paths and nice country lanes.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.