Remember when we were discussing ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheddar Man

Re: Remember when we were discussing ...

Post by Cheddar Man »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:56 am
Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:53 am
thenorthwind wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:24 am
I think starting in an urban area, as Richard says, would be the best approach. There aren't many places where you couldn't get an inexperienced group out to some nice countryside via a relatively gentle ride, and you get the added bonus of demonstrating to the participants that it is possible to escape the city just by riding out of it.
Start in Bristol, easy ride out to the Mendips, camp, ride back.

Easy steps........

1. Ask for volunteers
2. See where the majority are based and figure something out venue wise*
3. All volunteers take on a task (venue arranging, route choice to get there, base camp team, who teaches what, ride leader)
4. Co-ordinate tasks (getting people along, arranging kit from all of us, organising bikes, 'sponsorship' from businesses)
5. Do it, and review

Second time round......

Repeat 1, 2, 3 *this time travellers stay put and stay putters travel or some such thing
4, different people as now we have new locals
5, repeat

See, it's easy!
OK

So are you organising it then or anticipating someone else to take up that baton?
Yeah, why not? I need something to take my mind off of the 5hite I am dealing with at work at the moment.

But like I just said above, approaching companies for help with sponsorship is easier if I say........

'Hi, I have volunteered to head up the fledgling BearBones Bikepacking Foundation to get under-represented blah blah blah.....' rather than.........

'Hi, it's Grant, any chance of some kit so I can do a thing to see if it works?'

If there is no appetite for this from the site owner to be associated with this type of thing, then that is it, and as I have been corrected, he hasn't said no or yes yet. It needs some thinking about as there are obstacles, but if we we start with the negatives then the positives will just get squeezed and squeezed. The principal is sound though and think of the kudos if we can pull it off?
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:04 pm
No, not at all, just that having this 'promoted' as part of the UK's Number 1 Bikepacking site* may be more impactful than a group of randoms trying to do it!

*This may not actually be true, but I am sure the BearBones is almost certainly in the top 63 Bikepacking sites in the UK!
Most people would testify that I'm generally very easy going but at this moment in time, I'm wondering why you don't just f*ck off. No offence obviously.
:shock:
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:04 pm
No, not at all, just that having this 'promoted' as part of the UK's Number 1 Bikepacking site* may be more impactful than a group of randoms trying to do it!

*This may not actually be true, but I am sure the BearBones is almost certainly in the top 63 Bikepacking sites in the UK!
Most people would testify that I'm generally very easy going but at this moment in time, I'm wondering why you don't just f*ck off. No offence obviously.
Think that needs quoting here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9934&start=1175

:lol:
psling

Post by psling »

If there is no appetite for this from the site owner... and as I have been corrected, he hasn't said no or yes yet.
I'm guessing you were still typing.... :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

psling wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:39 pm
If there is no appetite for this from the site owner... and as I have been corrected, he hasn't said no or yes yet.
I'm guessing you were still typing.... :lol:
I mean he didn't use either of those words exactly... :lol:

I think this thread is going to need pandas.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I dont think Pandas are going to cut it :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

And breathe ....
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Those are crap Pandas Bob. C'mon man,up your game :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:56 pm Those are crap Pandas Bob. C'mon man,up your game :lol:
I don't see you bringing any pandas to the game! :wink: :lol:

It's really easy:

1. Search for pandas
2. Copy link to pandas
3. Paste link into post

But clearly you're not interested. :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've done pandas before. I didn't bring them into this 😉

Honestly though, I'm on my phone and I find linking images a PITA. Back to desktop after lunch.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Now, is that a Mini Panda or a Panda Mini?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I saw this and couldn't resist:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

"Yeah, baby"

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Back on topic.. Whatever happened to the Blackburn Ranger thing. I recall they were looking for inspirational folk to push the brand when they discovered bikepacking. That would have been an ideal time for someone in the industry to jump in with some sort of social inclusion programme.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

psling wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:51 am There are a number of charities that provide for youth, disadvantaged or minority groups.
There are a number of outdoor centres that provide for these charities.
All the admin/transport/insurance/other obstacles of setting up from new are in place within the above.

Offering a 'bikepacking' activity within the existing networks may be a more manageable way to offer the activity to youth, disadvantaged or minority groups; rather than offering to assist/volunteer at a new start-up, offer to assist/volunteer and provide a 'bikepacking' ativity within the existing established charitable network?

(The above comments are based on an assumption of providing for youth, disadvantaged and minority groups rather than encouraging those with an interest in bikepacking to get started).
I think this suggestion, which might have gained more traction if not for the distraction (© MC Mac) is a good one.

Such organisations already have the infrastructure and referral networks in place, by offering our expertise on top I would imagine far more could benefit quicker.

And let's not forget the rural poor who might have the location but not the means.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

This thread really brightened up my lunchtime. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pretty sure that Jenny Graham was part of the Blackburn Ranger programme. Not sure what became of it (the programme) or if it was just a publicity thing for a year or two.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Cancelled in 2018 (i think) according to this:

https://theradavist.com/2019/08/2019-bl ... n-rangers/
AUGUST 1, 2019

Interestingly, it seems the Blackburn Ranger program might be ramping back up, after being canceled last year…

“In early July 2019, three Blackburn Rangers set out to ride the Colorado Trail. At a length of more than 500 miles, and with climbing that adds up to more than 70k feet of elevation gain, the CT is no small feat in a normal year. The week before they departed, Colorado’s snow pack was 40 times higher than normal following a spring solstice storm. Emphasizing “Fun Over Fast,” this is the preview of their story.”

I can’t wait to see where this is going!
This was quite a cool film about taking some kids out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLR3S66 ... e=youtu.be

Very US, bit like the difference between the IMBA there and the IMBA here (oh :oops:).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I know we like bikepacking on here, but taking the wider view, would it be better to promote backpacking / hillwalking as a starter for 10? less kit, less need for expensive lightweight kit to make it fun, more accessible, easier to do. But gets people out there and into outdoorsy stuff without having to commit to big bucks to a bike as well as gear.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I can see the sense in that Phil. The only reason I can think that would make bikepacking a better "platform" is if, dare I suggest it, it's seen by the demographic we (hypothetically) want to engage as more "cool". I wonder if associations with DofE, scouts, etc. gives hillwalking a bit of an "establishment" image problem that bikepacking might not have?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yup can see that. Mind you the D of E was set up to encourage folk into the outdoors that normally wouldn't.....
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

Whilst I think it's great that disadvantaged youngsters get to do activities etc I'm not sure bikepacking is a particularly good fit due to amount of kit required, as someone else said, hillwalking would be an easier option to encourage a love of the outdoors.

There have been a couple of threads I have read recently about encouraging more people to go bikepacking - I don't quite understand why people think we need more people doing it? (unless they are working for Alpkit or similar :lol: ) it's never going to be an activity for mass appeal and there is no real dependence on having loads of organised events. I can understand people wanting their friends to come with them but to be honest out of my cycling friends not many of them are remotely keen on the idea.

It appears to me that bikepacking is growing, albeit relatively slowly, there are more companies every year getting involved with making bags and other related equipment, bike manufacturers are producing ever more suitable bikes etc. and with the likes of Planet X and Decathlon getting involved it's more affordable than ever to get some cheap functional kit.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

holdsteady wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:30 pm There have been a couple of threads I have read recently about encouraging more people to go bikepacking - I don't quite understand why people think we need more people doing it? (unless they are working for Alpkit or similar :lol: ) it's never going to be an activity for mass appeal and there is no real dependence on having loads of organised events. I can understand people wanting their friends to come with them but to be honest out of my cycling friends not many of them are remotely keen on the idea.
This has already been answered and there are (at least) two advantages I can see; the first is simply to increase folks awareness of the outdoors, of challenges in the environment and an exposure to rural life, all of which they might lack. This added perspective might, for instance, make conservation challenges more "real" and so they would obtain more overall support.

The second is that I, and many others, only came to bikepacking because we were encouraged into outdoor pursuits as youngsters. I can't imagine the person I would be now if that hadn't happened. I think it's only fair that other folk should be given the same encouragement and opportunity.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

holdsteady wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:30 pm There have been a couple of threads I have read recently about encouraging more people to go bikepacking - I don't quite understand why people think we need more people doing it? (unless they are working for Alpkit or similar :lol: ) it's never going to be an activity for mass appeal and there is no real dependence on having loads of organised events. I can understand people wanting their friends to come with them but to be honest out of my cycling friends not many of them are remotely keen on the idea.

It appears to me that bikepacking is growing, albeit relatively slowly, there are more companies every year getting involved with making bags and other related equipment, bike manufacturers are producing ever more suitable bikes etc. and with the likes of Planet X and Decathlon getting involved it's more affordable than ever to get some cheap functional kit.
If no-one new joins in, then there is no advancing the hobby. All of the advances we have seen are because new people have had a look and thought 'I reckon it would be better if/ I wonder if we did......'

New blood equals new ways of doing things. No change equals stagnation and eventually it dies out.
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

holdsteady wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:30 pm ...I have read recently about encouraging more people to go bikepacking - I don't quite understand why people think we need more people doing it?...
for me its not people but specific people. more people who aren't straight white cis middleclass men
Last edited by shutupthepunx on Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.