Peak 200 ITT winter: has it been done?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Peak 200 ITT winter: has it been done?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just been thinking about my (one of a few I think now) failed attempt at the BB200 and for some reason it led me to thinking about the Peak200 again. I think I've attempted and failed that twice already.

Anyway, without this becoming a sob story... does anyone know if its (peak200 ITT) been done in winter? Would early December count as winter these days with the seasons all acting a bit funny nowadays?? I remember Bob describing it as a pretty solid and tough nut to crack (not in them words), so am I being silly discussing such a topic, ie. Peak200 over winter!?

Ta in advance :smile:
lune ranger

Re: Peak 200 ITT winter: has it been done?

Post by lune ranger »

Meteorological winter commences in the Northern hemisphere on 1st December.
Astrological winter begins at the solstice which this year is at 1330hr GMT 21st December :geek:

From this you can conclude that a completion of the the Peak 200 in December would indeed be a ‘winter’ event :wink:

Controversy may occur though... in mountaineering terms ‘winter conditions’ is used euphemistically to mean snow ice and sub standard as well as being in the months of meteorological winter (December, January & February in N. Hemisphere)

I should get out more. :roll:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
slarge

Post by slarge »

I think you’ll be optimistic Shaf. It’s quite full on and places like Cut Gate will be very soft
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The three classic 24hr Rounds (Bob Graham, Charlie Ramsay and Paddy Buckley) all use 1st December to the last day of February as "winter", i.e. the same as meteorological winter. Obviously weather conditions vary greatly throughout that time and from year to year, so you could have frozen ground or a mud fest.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

It's do-able Shaf but the chances of you enjoying at are slim unless you get very lucky with the weather.

I did the outer loop (167km) as a winter bivvy in January a few years ago and it was thoroughly miserable :lol:

I was so wet and cold by half eight on the first night I sacked off the bivvying bit and got a room at The Wheatsheaf in Baslow. It was -3°C in the valleys and had been hammering it down all day so a really nice mix of ice and deep mud. Front and rear mech both kept freezing up. The following day it rained so hard that my phone and Garmin both stopped working. Great times. :-bd

https://www.strava.com/activities/822461656
https://www.strava.com/activities/823598000
redefined_cycles

Thanks guys. Glad I asked now as had been thinking to chsnge the thread title to summat like 'anyone up for a distanced Peak200 Winter attempt'. But dont think I'll bother now.

Just getting annoyed at self that out of 4 attempts (2 x bb200 and 2 x Peaks200), I've only actually completed the one. Will see the sense and just concentrate on a bit of road like I'd planned. Road is lovely is it not :grin:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

I am sure you are fit enough, but why not just build up to the 200s?

The other thing is the psychology behind longer or more challenging events. When I cycled John O'Groats to Lands End I didn't set myself any structure other than start in Scotland, finish in Cornwall. So each day the journey was as long as I fancied it being, no more no less, as there were no time or distance limits other than the 14 days I had to do it.

I think what I am suggesting is instead of trying to do a 200km ride in a set time frame, flip it round and give yourself a time frame not distance target. Maybe just say to yourself I will ride for 2 days in a massive loop, and when it gets dark I will stop. If I get tired I will just knock it on the head. Try that and see how far you ride, if it is 128km, you know 200 is pushing it in two days, if it is 245km, then you know that the something else is happening when you 'formalise' the ride.

Just a thought, it also means that you never 'fail', and failure breeds failure. You are now in a 'fail' mindset with these sort of rides, take away the pressure to complete something formal, let the fun back in and see what happens.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Excellent post that, Cheddar. "Let the fun back in"... having said that one always admires your enthusiasm Shaf :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:37 pm Excellent post that, Cheddar. "Let the fun back in"... having said that one always admires your enthusiasm Shaf :-bd
Thanks Reg... Thanks CM. Though, nope, not in a failure mindset at all. I didn't die on the hills due to poor choices, enjoyed (some in a type 2 sense) all of em, and learnt loads each time amongst the beauty of the hills :smile: I'm actually in a 'success' mindset believe it or not. Or else I'd never contemplate the Peaks200 for winter :-bd

I also rode (well, walked) Alex the Storm at 650m, which amplifies the feeling of success that little bit extra. I just wanna really complete a few 200s and be home in time for chapatti...