Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

An interesting idea

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm

Re: An interesting idea

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It is John. I'm not sure how useful the switch between luggage and backpack would be on an actual ride (Gian or Gairy may think differently) but it could be very useful for those who dabble in different outdoor activities or perhaps ride into the mountains to then climb them leaving their bike at the bottom.
May the bridges you burn light your way
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

I'd thought about doing similar with an Alpkit Gordon on the front carrier. Taking it off for things like Larig an Laogh or the East bank of Loch Lomond on the WHW.

You'd need to know in advance that it was a serious hike a bike to make it worth it. Decided it was a faff too far and didn't pursue.

I like that implementation though, as Stu says, would be good for Munro or Corbett bagging along a biking route.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The Aiguille Alpine bar bag turns into a rucksack

It is an interesting idea, although less so having to put one bag in another. My bar bag is usually filthy so all the grit and mud would get inside.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:15 am It is John. I'm not sure how useful the switch between luggage and backpack would be on an actual ride (Gian or Gairy may think differently) but it could be very useful for those who dabble in different outdoor activities or perhaps ride into the mountains to then climb them leaving their bike at the bottom.
Also agree with John. An interesting idea and well presented. Might also be of use to someone credit-card touring with days off the bike doing other things.

"Microadventuring is an increasingly popular activity which involves short trips overnight in natural environments to get away from day to day life."

Quite a good definition but there's something not quite right about it that I can't get my head around right now... :???:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Interesting indeed. Looks nicely designed, both functionally (hard to tell without having a play with the physical thing, but it looks the right shape with straps in all the right places) and aesthetically (in the eye of the beholder of course).

Limited situations where it's of real use, as others have said, but nice functionality to have so if it's not too heavy... looks like VX21 so shouldn't be.

Interested to know what the internal reinforcement is like.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Interested.

I looked at similar system a few years ago that consisted of two panniers converting into a backpack. Couldn't find any user experiences or reviews do didn't progress it. This looks well thought out and very useful.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Since riding (steep) mountain paths often (mostly) requires full freedom for body language to ride as much as possible, seat packs, especially large ones, are a hinderance.
This rucksack-goes-bikebags has a few flaws for most of my combined trips outdoors, but the single biggest one:
A large seat bag.

I also think a rucksack coming from a bar bag can be designed no only easier and lighter, but also open up bikepacking to those riding very steep and tech single tracks.

When I go on a combined bikepacking/hiking trip, I mostly move about the Alps, where I have Little gear on the bike, to keep it light and nimble, so I can toss it about more easily and have most of the load on my back, where it's suspended better than anywhere else. Also carrying and pushing the bike up is so much more easy.

En route to the still snow covered mountains to follow some ridge lines. It was during a COVID-19 phase, when I used only the bike as mode of transport and to get me to a starting point for the multi day trip on foot. I packed in some fun mountain paths to get me to the snow line. Changed shoes and had a few garments I used for riding only, which stayed with the bike, also helmet and strong lights.

For my trip across the Puna de Atacama I made myself a 260 or 280 g rucksack with about 40 L volume and some webbing Loops for compression at the right spots. Added 4 micro biners to the webbing loops. On the bike I had a bar bag, the crucial sleeping kit in a dry bag, other kit (spare clothing, wind breakers etc) stuffed inside.
Once I deposited my bike to hike up a volcano, I just had to take the bag from the harness (basically a copy of a Wildcat Gear thingy), undo 4 micro biners, stuff stove, tent, food, water and fuel in. Change shoes and off I was for a couple of (riding free) days.
The back panel (fabric touching your back when in Rucksack mode) and shoulder straps are the parts that hide away in bike mode. So you don't get covered in crap when carrying it.

Thinking about about Hal Walsh's design, I must say I find it has lots of room for improvement.
Not sure where, but definately saw such a design a bunch of years ago, possibly from a Eastern Europe manufacturer.

Perhalps he had road riding only in mind..?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:07 pm I looked at similar system a few years ago that consisted of two panniers converting into a backpack. Couldn't find any user experiences or reviews do didn't progress it. This looks well thought out and very useful.
Aldi have a one of those at the moment. Looks a useful concept for work trips where I ride to the station to get the train and don't want to lug panniers to a meeting with me. I don't do that very often, and not at all at the moment and for the forseeable, otherwise I'd be investigating a better quality version.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I like that - 'Improving Bikepacking' : )
Might also be of use to someone credit-card touring with days off the bike doing other things.
I used to credit-card tour with most things in a light rucsac partly for that reason. Road riding then go off into town to look around once the bike was at a BnB or hiking around the Ecrins, bike locked behind a tree.

A chap in eastern Europe does make welded tarpaulin bikepacking bags where the seatpack converts to a basic rucsac, in a simpler or more basic way than this project though. I forget the brand name but his pics come up on my Instagram feed.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Holy sh*t! :shock:

I like the bag you made Alpinum.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Loads of walkers/climbers use bikes to get them further into the wilderness so they can spend more time climbing so this would likely appeal to them more than your traditional “bikepacker”
postierich

Post by postierich »

benp1 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:46 am The Aiguille Alpine bar bag turns into a rucksack

It is an interesting idea, although less so having to put one bag in another. My bar bag is usually filthy so all the grit and mud would get inside.
Yep I tested the bag and it worked well during winter riding, problem was during the summer I tend not to use a bulky sleeping bag so the rucksack was half full and did not sit right it need to be full to pack well on the bars.
Image44887750_10156931585446474_558139267927244800_o by Richard Munro, on Flickr
Image43768550_10156928927946474_1553280269832683520_o by Richard Munro, on Flickr
Image44890274_10156932416851474_1999920743646756864_o by Richard Munro, on Flickr
ripio

Post by ripio »

I would add some strong attachment points to the backpack to allow the bike to be strapped onto the backpack so the whole combo could be carried on your back
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

[/quote]A chap in eastern Europe does make welded tarpaulin bikepacking bags where the seatpack converts to a basic rucsac, in a simpler or more basic way than this project though. I forget the brand name but his pics come up on my Instagram feed.
[/quote]

7RBAGS I have one of their seatpacks for longer trips, its rated 18l and comes with a mini rack. Didn't go for the optional backpack straps though. Not had proper chance to use it due to 'Rona but it was great on 2 shorter trips I did with it. They do a Cuben fabric version as well.

Love their slogan; Ride your bike where even wolves are scared to sub standard!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
jameso

Post by jameso »

7RBAGS
That's them.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Alpinum wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:10 pm
The back panel (fabric touching your back when in Rucksack mode) and shoulder straps are the parts that hide away in bike mode. So you don't get covered in crap when carrying it.

That's really impressive :-bd I'd like to make a rucksack to match the rest of my luggage. How did you make the shoulder straps? They're the bit that I can't quite suss out. Do you use spacer mesh? Does it have a padded back?

My current front pack fixes to the harness with 4 buckles and I also plan to make some shoulder straps that clip in to it for long pushes/caries.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

That's really impressive :-bd
Isn't it?
I have an old tourer's bar bag that has a shoulder strap and I do like ho you can go from bike to hike (or potter around town) with it. The randonneurs have it all figured out with bags, racks and decaleurs etc but none of it would last long off-road and it's a bit weighty. Some interesting ideas in this whole area.

(and I love the bag-draped fat bike, looks a little like one of those cartoon VWs)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

My Acepac bar bag has a natty little strap so I look like I'm swaning around town with a handbag :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:25 am How did you make the shoulder straps? They're the bit that I can't quite suss out. Do you use spacer mesh? Does it have a padded back?
Took a shape from a rucksack I liked. Top needs to be absolutely stretch free fabric. I used Liteskin. Then thin 3 D mesh bottom. Turned inside out and crammed some closed cell foam inside. Daisy chain etc. The crucial part is a strong connection to the rucksack and to get them aligned correctly. To keep it simple I didn't split the back panel, instead I sewed on a webbing band to transfer the load.
No padded back, just Liteskin. Thanks to small webbing loops I could attach a mat/sheet of foam if I wanted, like the Gossamer Gear sacks. Then there's a sleeve with 20 d PU coated Nylon inside into which I could slide in a pad. But haven used it so far.