Exposure bar mount. Upside down?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

Exposure bar mount. Upside down?

Post by fatbikerbill »

Does anyone run there exposure bar light upside down?

Would it be a daft idea?

This is to a set of jones copy bars and the front bar is only 22mm, and I currently do not have the 25mm mount.

I normally have the bars slightly angled, ends down and from a general protection point of view underneath might be a safer place.

Your thoughts please.
In Reverse

Re: Exposure bar mount. Upside down?

Post by In Reverse »

Could you not put the bars on upside down and use the mount the right way up Bill?
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Have run two versions of the Strada and a Mk7 Joystick fitted 'upside down' underneath bars for years, especially on the road bikes.

The display on the rear of the Strada flips so the text is the right way up, which tells me Exposure expect people to mount them either way.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I ran mine under the loop when I had the gopro on the top, obviously only when there was no luggage on the bars.

I've got a stem mounted exposure mount on the gravel bike and the lights sit under the bars all the time with no issue.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:43 pm I've got a stem mounted exposure mount on the gravel bike and the lights sit under the bars all the time with no issue.
#-O

Am confused - could you pop a picture up?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm assuming you're questioning whether the triangular qr bracket is secure enough to have the light dangling from it rather than sat on top? Oddly, I've just yesterday repositioned my Revo upside down but instead of trusting the qr bracket, I unscrewed it and bolted the light to a little bracket I made which fits onto the underside of an outfront Garmin mount. Seems to be secure on the 80km of bumpy gravel I've ridden today. :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I have mine upside down on aero bars. It is rock solid.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

GregMay wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:59 pm
#-O

Am confused - could you pop a picture up?
Tricky to do from my phone, but it's the same as this set-up on the exposure website

https://exposurelights.com/stem-fit-bracket
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ahhhh ok. That makes sense
atk

Post by atk »

Dyffers wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:11 pm Have run two versions of the Strada and a Mk7 Joystick fitted 'upside down' underneath bars for years, especially on the road bikes.

The display on the rear of the Strada flips so the text is the right way up, which tells me Exposure expect people to mount them either way.
That's interesting... given the Strada is the only(?) light with a shaped beam, I figured this would be the one light in the range you _wouldn't_ want to mount upside down :???:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Here's the picture that greets me on this Exposure Strada page with just the comment "road specific lens to project a beam pattern combining spot and wide beams, tailored for tarmac" :???:

https://exposurelights.com/products/bike/strada-mk10-rs

And thinking about it, you couldn't fit any of their lights the right way up using Sean's stem mount.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Dyffers wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:48 pm

And thinking about it, you couldn't fit any of their lights the right way up using Sean's stem mount.
Unless you put the mount on the top set of stem faceplate bolts of course. :wink: I've had my Toro mounted both ways and it was fine.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've shone my strada 900 out into the garden. It's hard to see but I think the beam pattern is a central spot with a wide strip across, hence the two lenses? It seemed to have a cut off at the top and bottom of the beam so works either way up.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The writing on that upside-down Strada is the right way up.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I’ve been running a revo on my gravel bike under the bars for about the last two years without any issues.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dyffers wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:11 pm
I just checked my MAXX-D. It also flips the display. Cool. No idea if/when I'll ever need to do that, but cool anyway.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:58 pm The writing on that upside-down Strada is the right way up.
Yet where you click to get to that image shows a right way up Strada with right way up writing :???:

https://exposurelights.com/products/bike/road-lights

Maybe it's not just the display that flips over, the etching on the side also turns over :lol:
atk

Post by atk »

Weird! I've got an older Strada but might take it out one night and see what the beam looks like. I guess maybe it's just wider/flatter. I always assumed it had a cut off, as implied in the graphic on their page

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The SB, Super Bright, with the Road Specific Beam Pattern and at 1500 remains the best road light; with the specific bevels to allow side illumination, and reversible graphics to remind you that the Strada can mount it either way up.
Maybe the front ring (with mount) can be rotated.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:39 am
The SB, Super Bright, with the Road Specific Beam Pattern and at 1500 remains the best road light; with the specific bevels to allow side illumination, and reversible graphics to remind you that the Strada can mount it either way up.
Maybe the front ring (with mount) can be rotated.
My strada 900 lens is fixed. I think the diagram above is a bit misleading. From looking at the beam on mine I think there is a cut-off at the top and bottom of the beam, the beam pattern is symmetrical. The light unit would point down more and shine along the centre-line of the beam pattern, not sit level as they have shown.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a recent Strada (SB)

The beam pattern looks a bit like a letter box so I guess it's happy to be inverted

From memory (light is on the bike) the laser etching has writing both ways up so depends on which way you're looking it

I think the display flips around when you invert it, makes the button harder to access I suppose, but I use the remote. I mount mine normal way up

Not sure I'd want to mount a diablo or joystick with the plastic c clip type thing like that, but the strada has the mount screwed in
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Excellent, upside down it'll be.

@andy, I tried that but struggled with the brake levers being on the top side.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Ahh bugger Andy, now the light is pointing backwards.

What to do!
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I mount my Axis upside down under my front rack on the CX bike with the rubber band, circular clip-in mount and it's been fine for ages, on and off road.