A Severe Case of TMS

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

A Severe Case of TMS

Post by Shewie »

I've packed for a week exploring Argyll at a leisurely pace, but I'm surprised (appalled) at how much stuff I've tried to cram in.

So I'm appealing to the collective here, help me trim the fat. I don't intend riding much at night, if at all, so long nights in camp,

14L Bar Bag
Khufu shelter
MLD Superlight bivvy
PHD Minim 300 s/bag
Neoair short pad
Small wash kit
Sealskinz

3L Bar Front Pouch
Poop pack
Backup headtorch & batts
Printed 1:50k maps

Stem Bag 1
Crammed with snacks

Stem Bag 2
Water bottle

Fuel Pod 25
Nitecore 10K power bank
Nitecore NU25 primary headtorch
Phone
Charging cables, earphones
InReach Mini

Fuel Pod 22
Anker 10K power bank
Car key
Wallet

Full Frame Bag
Spares, tools, pump and fuel (meths 200ml) in the bottom, everything else in the top
4 x dehydrated meals
2 x Flapjack bar
Shelter pole
Pegs
2L cnoc bottle
Cookset (600ml Evernew, ti cone & myog burner)
Xmug
Hiplock

14L Seat Pack
Change of undies, 2 x socks
Ron Hills
Montane Prism pants
Montane down gilet
Alpkit Katabatic jacket
Gloves, hat, buff and bed socks

And with that I seem to be pretty much at capacity, so I've had to dig out my 20L Gourdon which now has more snacks, porridge sachets for breaky, brew kit, windshirt and my waterproof shorts and jacket.

I think because it's my first proper multi-dayer I've gone heavy on the food, I'm sure once I get going I'll pass plenty of resupply opportunities and I'll be annoyed I'm carrying so much.

Be brutal, what would you drop, but remember I'm not racing and hope to enjoy the week rather than endure it :smile:
Mike

Re: A Severe Case of TMS

Post by Mike »

I'd take a warmer bag than that, it dropped to -3 in Glen affric last week when we were up there :0)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd take a warmer bag than that, it dropped to -3 in Glen affric last week when we were up there :0)
Oi, we're trying to trim fat not add it :wink:

2 head torches?
A cup and a 600ml pot?
Ron Hills and insulated pants?
2 pairs of socks plus a pair to sleep in? AND Sealskinz (I assume they're socks)
A hat and buff - doesn't you jacket have a hood?
2 powerbanks?
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Do you need the Khufu and a bivvy? I'd ditch the extra headlamp and the 2 spare pairs of socks ( keep the sleep socks). Ziplock bag for a wallet. Maybe ditch one powerbank unless you're watching movies in camp.
Put 3 of the freeze dried meals in ziplocks and re-use the original packaging from meal one for cooking/reheating.
Other than that it looks pretty solid to me.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

If you're still struggling on Sunday leave some stuff with me and I'll do a supply drop midweek if you let me know where you've got to.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Remember the super light setups are for summer, once you get to the cooler months then things just get bulky.

Backup headtorch and powerbank?

Wallet just needs to be a bank card and maybe a few notes, I just stuff those in the same plastic bag as the phone.

Gilet and a jacket?

Ron Hills and Prism trousers?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

There's a few things that you could trim, pretty much as above. But it's not that bad

Does seem a lot of socks though!

I'm a sucker for taking too much food, I get hangry and need to eat a lot. It takes up loads of space but at least it reduces weight and size over time

Have you thought about taking fewer little packs (stem cells, top tube packs) and just sticking more in the rucksack? You need it anyway and a good pack is comfy (although I don't find my gourd on particularly comfy...). The weight of the little packs adds up

I don't mind taking a rucksack bikepacking, for some trips I prefer it. Depends if it techy or hike a bike vs long schlep on the bike
slarge

Post by slarge »

The kit list looks ok, but you’re not getting much in each bag. Try cramming more stuff into the bags you have and you might be able to ditch a small bag
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The list looks OK, more socks than I'd take.

Couldn't see a head net on the list? Assuming there will still be midge about?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:50 pm The list looks OK, more socks than I'd take.

Couldn't see a head net on the list? Assuming there will still be midge about?
No, they're long gone thankfully.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I didn't have any when I was up 3 weeks ago. I assumed they'd been furloughed and would be back to work soon :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I've culled a few bits and I'll work on it a bit more today.

Gone
Backup headtorch and batts
Ron Hills
1 x spare socks
Buff

Tempted to lose the gilet

I really want to ditch the 2nd powerbank but I'm paranoid about losing power to my phone, Edge 830, InReach, headtorch and rear light, inexperience showing through here.

My Khufu and bivvy combined are 535g, my waterproof standalone bivvies are nearly twice that, it doesn't make sense to have less room for more weight, I spent a good few days debating this one.
My wallet is a tiny little dcf thing from my mate, holds a couple of cards and a bit of folded

I'll have another look at the food situation I think and see if I can work out resupply points on my route properly,

If I can lose the rucksack and even drop down to my Seral 7 waist pack I'll be a lot happier

Good advice, thanks all :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Just leave the things you're vacillating about. You won't die (bold promise 😉), though you might be a little miserable in some circumstances if you really needed them. You'll probably find all but one of them was necessary 😎

Ditch the second piwerbank and use the nervous energy of your concern to focus a bit more on efficient use of the devices.

😎
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I'm paranoid about losing power to my phone, Edge 830, InReach, headtorch and rear light,
Pack your hopes not your fears

TBH the chances of everything being flat and then you discover the powerbank broken is pretty much nil I only take one - though my GPS runs off batteries
Still the solutions are as follows
Dont need your phone - you have an Ireach
Edge - you have paper map back ups you can use
In reach - switch it off unless you need it
headtorch- dont ride in the dark
Rear light - avoid the road at night

None of them are actually life threatening if you have options they are just sub optimal
The only think you dont want to break on a ride is you - even if the bike does you can walk out - and you have an Inreach if that happens and the kit to sit it out waiting for rescue
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

At this time of year the weather up there could be tricky. Shorter days rather than less kit in my book.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Much fettling and faffing later ...

Managed to ditch the Gourdon off my back, the food has been reduced slightly and distributed across various bags, cramming any spare nooks and crannies I can find. Instead I've ended up with my Osprey waist pack containing my waterproofs and a few snacks at just under a kilo, looking at the weather forecast there's a good chance I'll be wearing my w'proofs anyway.

I've put a bottle cage under my downtube and that's now holding my fuel for the week, I tried to get one of those storage bottle thingies from Halfords but the cupboards were bare in the two branches I visited, I thought I could move my spares and tools into there but I've dropped an MSR fuel bottle in the cage instead.

Happier with that now, packed, done, finished, piled up at the front door for a 6am start in the morning.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Have fun!
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Maybe it’s my paranoia; however, I always double up on battery packs.
That said, could you take two small packs rather than one large(r) pack.
I also double up on the USB charging cable for my GPS

It’s about balance of risk.

You do not intend traveling at night, so there is little to no need for a backup headtorch

Wash kit. 😂
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

He's on his way now folks (storming round the tracks of Argyll). I rode part of the first leg with him today but had to ride home again as I'm at work tomorrow. Hopefully the weather holds for Shewie and he has a great week riding. :cool:
ImageShewie bike by Jurassic690, on Flickr
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Well that was short and sweet, I'd started getting a niggling pain in my right knee at the end of day one, I hoped to sleep it off but it only worsened as day two progressed, into the early evening and it was clear I wasn't going to be able to ride through it. An old hiking/snowboarding injury that crops up sometimes was back with a vengeance, Looking for a bivvy spot along the west shore of Lock Eck my knee was locking up and making some interesting popping and crunching sounds, I found a nice beach spot near an old boat shed with some canoes stacked up outside, laid out the tarp and nearly tumbled backwards into the loch. Only 60 miles into a 230 mile trip and I was throwing in the towel, Thunderbirds are go, medevac kindly offered by Jurassic was called into service.

Now back home, feeling old and very sorry for myself. I've realised I need to take a different approach to bikepacking, particularly on rougher ground. A fully loaded bike with all the bags, bells and whistles isn't fun and there's got to be a better way, too much weight on the bike only exasperated the knee problem and made the uphill grinds and HABs a total PITA.

I've certainly learned a few lessons, the obvious one being the amount of food I carried, not sure what I was thinking but I decided I'd set out with everything I'd need to more or less see me through a full week. I'd never do that backpacking, I'd send parcels onto campsites, post offices etc and pick them up on the way. I've realised now that on a bike you can hit enough village shops, pubs and petrol stations that getting enough food just isn't a concern on the type of route I planned.
Just for giggles I rounded up all the food I stashed into various corners, then threw in the left over brew kit, 2060g, and that's with two days worth already consumed, there's probably 420ml of meths left in a bottle too.
So lesson number one, go easy on the food, a slack handful of nuts, one maybe two dried meals stashed away somewhere just in case, a few bars and a debit card.

Kit choices, I took a dcf mid and weather resistant bivvy bag, but it needs a roomy footprint or it pitches like a flappy bag of spuds, in Argyll I saw plenty of cosy looking bivvy spots and I think next time I will just take a waterproof bivvy and a small tarp. Of all the kit I eventually packed I did actually used it all over two days, apart from a down gilet and a pair of socks I would've used on day three probably. It still felt like too much, even though it's what I'd take hiking.
I went with two 10K powerbanks and by the end of day two I'd used a third of one of them, so another five or six days would've been about right I think. My Edge 830 seems quite battery hungry and needed a recharge towards the end of day two. My phone was a complete mystery to me again, the battery seems to have a mind of it's own, so I hardly took any photos which was really annoying as the weather was glorious.
The new InReach seemed to work okay, although I made an arse of setting up the messaging so the preset messages were going to my own email account instead of the wifes, prat. The tracking seemed to work okay for others but when I look the historic data seems patchy, missing out 30 miles of day two.
Lesson two then, a bivvy and tarp is more adaptable at lower levels, my usual mid shelters I use in the mountains are not the best choice despite being lighter.

A few words about the two days I did actually spend in the saddle (apart from when I was pushing and swearing a lot)
Day one was very pleasant, a nice ride out with Jurassic on his local stomping ground, tbh I was blowing after the first half a mile of climbing and realised I was in for a tough week. Nice paths and tracks through forestry with short sections of tarmac, we even managed a sausage sarnie and a coffee near Arrochar before Chris peeled off home and I continued on for another 10 miles before stopping to camp at a small lochan. I had a lovely evening in camp after stopping around 5pm, shelter up and I got stuck into my food supplies, the deer rut was in full swing and I was getting full dolby surround sound of roars until I nodded off.

ImageIMG_1194 (1) by Shewie, on Flickr

no the chair isn't mine

Day two, I'd just about packed up when three Land Rovers full of squaddies arrived to setup an OP, slightly awkward but I was soon on my way. The pass over to Lochgoilhead on the Dukes Path was quite testy with my heavy bike, I hit an innocuous looking puddle that nearly had me over the bars in the first five minutes. A rough in places but smiley descent dropped me into the village, not before porridge by a pretty waterfall through the woods. Reaching LGH I headed straight for the PO for a cold Coke, cake and pies on offer too but I really didn't need more food.
I scooted round the coast to Carrick Castle then onto a 100m HAB up into the forest again, much sweating and swearing ensued. Not sure what the temp was but it felt like 20c along the shores of Loch Long, I was regretting my winter bib choice and merino top.
I stopped on the track just before Ardentinny, was this really west coast Scotland in October

ImageIMG_1198 by Shewie, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1199 by Shewie, on Flickr

About twenty minutes after that last picture things got a bit weird, my nice route was trucking along a well used forestry track before coming to an abrupt end at a 15ft deep gorge, and with no track on the other side. My purple NAV line was saying go sharp left into the plantation, so off I went, hauling and dragging my bike over and under blowdowns for what felt like ages. When I got to the edge of the plantation I was met with a high fence and fairly deep but slow moving river. I couldn't find an easy crossing so just thought sod it waded through, the hardest bit was getting up the steep banking on the other side, it was like a scene out of one of those Attenborough films with the wilderbeast and crocodiles. I found a place where I could get the bike over the fence and trudged across a field of shin deep cow muck and bog, I'd binned my dubious Garmin route and was now making a bee line for tarmac I could see in the distance. Rounding a few bends I came to the river again, slightly deeper and faster flowing this time, up to the thighs but at least it washed the cow turd off everything. One more fence, a field and then tarmac, easy I thought as I lifted my bike over, only to get an electric shock from the fence on both nipples, I dropped the bike but if it'd got snagged I might still be there now.

After those shenanigans I rode and pushed over the pass to Lock Eck, calling at the Whistlefield Inn for a well deserved IPA, then north along the A815 to Glenbranter and the west Loch Eck shore road, and sadly the end of my ride.

I now have unfinished business, what I saw of the route it was lovely, tough in places but I'll be better prepared next time. The knee isn't great, I think I might have some patella movement going on, things click and pop after I've sat down, I've rung the docs and now awaiting a telephone consultation, in the meantime I'm giving glucosamine a try.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd most certainly see about sorting out some glute stretches Rich ... when I thought my knees were shagged turned out it was my arse (well, aside from the broken knee cap) :wink:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Nice write up, enjoyed that.

Such a fine balancing point, enough kit to enjoy it, but little enough to not have to graft carrying it

You're right about food. Big walks are much harder to time with food stops, but I often am up higher. On the bike you tend not to go so high and cover more ground so it's easier topping up as you go. Also easier to divert off route to pick up supplies
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:42 pm I'd most certainly see about sorting out some glute stretches Rich ... when I thought my knees were shagged turned out it was my arse (well, aside from the broken knee cap) :wink:
Thanks Stu I'll look into that, what sort of problems did you have? It sounds like bone on bone
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

what sort of problems did you have?
It was a level of pain that was hard to describe but any movement of the knee was dreadful. I assumed it was perhaps motorbike crashes that had caught up with me but after 6 weeks of physio it was fine. However, no feeling of bone on bone though.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm glad you managed the drive home safely Rich and hope you get the knee problem sorted out soon. Keep in touch and once you're feeling a bit better maybe we can arrange the trip in the borders we spoke about. The Confucious bars will be going on my bike tomorrow and the fake loops will be going in the parts bin. :wink: