norfolk

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

journeyman

norfolk

Post by journeyman »

Hello everyone, not sure if its been posted but I see Barry Godin has has posted a new film. Some cheeky chances undertaken with access - which at this point in our lives raises a whole bigger debate - but the films another fun blast through some great looking countryside.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: norfolk

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm just disappointed he didn't title it 'Norfolk an' good'
May the bridges you burn light your way
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Thats probably what he was told when he was on the footpath! :lol:
Scud

Post by Scud »

Living in Norfolk for 7 years now, although from Portsmouth originally, we have never had an issue with anyone local riding the footpaths near us, as many are just farm tracks and link to bridleways and byways, and without regular use, many would easily become overgrown.

The only time i have had an issue, and it is same area as Barry's film, is that part of the coast, firstly because a lot of it is nature reserve and secondly you will notice most people there have a London or Surrey accent as it is often second home owners.

If anyone is ever in this part of the world, i'd be happy to host you, or suggest routes, it's not as flat (or dull) as people are often led to believe.
psling

Post by psling »

I had an enjoyable week of riding in Norfolk during September :-bd
Bumped into Lars off here (he was wearing a BB jersey) near Blakeney on the north coast.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Did a weekender around the Broads in early August and thoroughly enjoyed it. Bizarrely found a Park Tool chain gauge on the road while doing it!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

psling wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:56 am I had an enjoyable week of riding in Norfolk during September :-bd
Bumped into Lars off here (he was wearing a BB jersey) near Blakeney on the north coast.
Nice to meet you Psling! I remember seeing you hit the brakes and I turned back to meet you! What lovely weather we had that weekend!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Would love to have witnessed that meeting of accents! Broad Gloucestershire meets Norfolk. I love dialects and accents.

My Erewash Valley one occasionally surfaces to baffle the unwary and I haven't lived there for centuries.

Met a friend up there a while ago and he introduced me to his friend from the next town. To my own surprise I greeted the gentleman thusly: "Eyup. Airthi Dowin Aynor Yoth?". Even more surprisingly he took me as one of his own, replying "Alraight, ahtey?". Didn't take much longer to be outed as an emigre though sadly! One of the most impenetrable dialects in the country.

Back to Norfolk. Went into a Cromer curry house once with a mate who's mother lives there. Sat down, read the menus, eventually a very attractive waitress of Indian ancestry wanders up, in full traditional dress, and her first question - and any Dumplings reading please forgive my terrible pronunciation - was "Ello moi boays, would yew loike sarm parrrperrrrrrdarrrmmms?". The incongruity was fantastic. Got on with her like a house on fire after that!

Long may accents and dialects survive.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:32 pm Would love to have witnessed that meeting of accents! Broad Gloucestershire meets Norfolk. I love dialects and accents.

[whisper mode] My hearing is pretty poor but I'm pretty sure Lars, who was also on holiday in the area, had a distinctly American accent [/whisper mode] :grin:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:24 pm
RIP wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:32 pm Would love to have witnessed that meeting of accents! Broad Gloucestershire meets Norfolk. I love dialects and accents.

[whisper mode] My hearing is pretty poor but I'm pretty sure Lars, who was also on holiday in the area, had a distinctly American accent [/whisper mode] :grin:
Ah right :wink: . Just trying to put you off the scent I reckon :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster