Shock pump problem?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mr conners

Shock pump problem?

Post by Mr conners »

I might be wrong here but I’m sure my shock pump is faulty. I have a pair of RockShox forks which require about three pumps to get the gauge up to 85 psi. I take off the pump with a disconcerting hiss of air escape, and they seem as saggy as hell. What’s the normal amount of pumps needed to get them up to pressure? And every time I connect the pump the gauge reads zero. I might just pop into the LBS and ask them. Any ideas? Chuck it across the workshop?
ScotRoutes

Re: Shock pump problem?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Sounds like the air isn't going into the forks and the 85psi is just the pressure in the hose.
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

Ah! Cheers.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Have you fully screwed the head on before pumping? Until I do that I don’t get any pressure reading on mine
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

agree with scots check the valve or pump can match and depress is my advice

its more than 3 pumps for that amount of psi in a fork from scratch
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

You can usually tell when the pump head is screwed on enough as the needle on the dial will rise (assuming there is at least some pressure in your fork's air chamber). When it does then start pumping and you should see the pressure increase at a much slower rate.

IME some Rockshox forks need the pump to be screwed on quite a way before they connect (i.e. they depress the teeny plunger in the centre of the schrader valve).
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

Thanks for the help. I’ll give it a go later on. I realised there was an issue after several adjustments to the fork only for it nearly bottom out on relatively easy ground on the last ride.
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

Yes. I’ve not been screwing the pump into valve enough. All sorted now, thanks for the help.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

:-bd