Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: BB200/300 packed bike weigh-in thread

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:11 pm
11.71kg bike weight packed.
None of my MTB "naked" can achieve that weight
I went out at 22kg. I really need to evaluate what I take. Pizza (yes) cooking gear (no)... milk 500ml (maybe)...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

slarge wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:27 pm You taking any spare clothes Matt?
I feel like I'm missing something... why would you take spare clothes for a max 38 hour ride?

Am I some sort of dirty bikepacking hobo?
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:49 am
I feel like I'm missing something... why would you take spare clothes for a max 38 hour ride?

Rich... He's mist likely talking about emergency clothing... Like waterproof trousers and a jacket/cold gloves/hat etc
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ahh. Makes more sense. I'll have a packable waterproof and my hydrophobic puffy for night riding.
redefined_cycles

One thing I forgot to pack was some wintery gloves as it was rather cold on the tops (but that was through Alex). I'll be taking some medium winters this time as my 1 set. I think I also packed spare socks (that's where the extra weight came from... :o just realised :lol: ), which I'll not be taking this time God Willing...
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:31 am Ahh. Makes more sense. I'll have a packable waterproof and my hydrophobic puffy for night riding.
You make it sound like I should leave my waterproof trousers (not 'pants'... not 'pants'... not 'pants') behind which would save me another 350 grams. I definitely think weights a killer on this one as them climbs make yer hat wanna fall backwards...

My sleeping kit will be my Tundra bag (rated -5 and weighing in at 660ish) and the SOL emergency 2 man bivvy. No mat, total weight of 830g. Should ensure I have a very high threshold for wanting to use it... Unless off course Stu specified more in terms of bivvy gear (need to take a look)...
slarge

Post by slarge »

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:49 am

By spare clothes Rich I mean - arm warmers, leg warmers, spare gloves/socks, buff. I also carried a base layer.

It got down to a damp and cold windy 2degC for my ride during the night - I even put my waterproof trousers on and was considering the spare base layer. I wasn't working hard enough to generate the heat on some sections, and on the descents it was blimmin cold. My latex gloves came in handy as well once my fingers went numb.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My latex gloves came in handy as well once my fingers went numb.
Retrieving your stash? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:07 am
:lol: Nice
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:41 am My sleeping kit will be my Tundra bag (rated -5 and weighing in at 660ish) and the SOL emergency 2 man bivvy. No mat, total weight of 830g. Should ensure I have a very high threshold for wanting to use it... Unless off course Stu specified more in terms of bivvy gear (need to take a look)...
For me it's pointless stopping as I can never sleep. I'd rather just plod on at a couple of miles an hour until I start to feel fresher. Sean can tell you, one year I got off on basically flat road to walk for a while. I did catch him back up after 45 mins or so. :lol:
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:10 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:41 am My sleeping kit will be my Tundra bag (rated -5 and weighing in at 660ish) and the SOL emergency 2 man bivvy. No mat, total weight of 830g. Should ensure I have a very high threshold for wanting to use it... Unless off course Stu specified more in terms of bivvy gear (need to take a look)...
For me it's pointless stopping as I can never sleep. I'd rather just plod on at a couple of miles an hour until I start to feel fresher. Sean can tell you, one year I got off on basically flat road to walk for a while. I did catch him back up after 45 mins or so. :lol:
Nowt wrong with having a sleep whilst walking Rich. When I was at Leeds (LGI), after getting changed in the locker-rooms, there was a few long corridors so I'd put a hand on the wall and trace the route for a couple o minutes whilst I got some shut-eye. Probably wouldn't work in the wilderness i suppose...
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:07 am
Needed some cheering up :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Richard G wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:03 pm I'm aiming for ~18kg with water. We'll see.

...and no opinion on light vs, heavy, just checking the "rules".
13.7kg bike weight.
4.4kg bag weight (including water).

18.1kg in total. I guess I know what I tend to carry. lol

I have a sh*tload of food packed so that'll be a good chunk lighter by the end of the ride. I could probably get rid of a couple of things, but right now I'm going for peace of mine over pure pace.
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:55 pm
Richard G wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:03 pm I'm aiming for ~18kg with water. We'll see.

...and no opinion on light vs, heavy, just checking the "rules".
13.7kg bike weight.
4.4kg bag weight (including water).

18.1kg in total. I guess I know what I tend to carry. lol

I have a sh*tload of food packed so that'll be a good chunk lighter by the end of the ride. I could probably get rid of a couple of things, but right now I'm going for peace of mine over pure pace.
Well done Rich. Stay safe out there. Go, go, go (erm, when you going?)..
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I took spare gloves and a waterproof jacket. Both I didn't need to use.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Weighed my pack, which was 2.0kg without fluid in the bladder but with all spares/kit inside. It takes ~1.5ltrs, so 3.5kg full.
15.21kg all in.
slarge

Post by slarge »

mattpage wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:41 pm Weighed my pack, which was 2.0kg without fluid in the bladder but with all spares/kit inside. It takes ~1.5ltrs, so 3.5kg full.
15.21kg all in.
I guess the clue to going super light is to go so fast you are only out there a few hours. It seems the longer you are riding the more kit you (feel you) need to take, which makes you slower so you are out there longer. And so the cycle continues......

It's a constant balancing act I guess (maybe I look at the "what if" too much). All those little bits soon add up (my tools and spares weighed around 350g, plus an inner tube (150g), plus pump (150g), plus spare socks, plus plus plus. But if I knew I could crack 24 hours and ride through in 1 hit then it could be a lighter load....
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

slarge wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:56 pm I guess the clue to going super light is to go so fast you are only out there a few hours. It seems the longer you are riding the more kit you (feel you) need to take, which makes you slower so you are out there longer. And so the cycle continues......

It's a constant balancing act I guess (maybe I look at the "what if" too much). All those little bits soon add up (my tools and spares weighed around 350g, plus an inner tube (150g), plus pump (150g), plus spare socks, plus plus plus. But if I knew I could crack 24 hours and ride through in 1 hit then it could be a lighter load....
I took everything I might need to cover likely problems, which I think is the key thing. If something is unlikely to happen, do you really need to make extra effort to try and solve it as you can't cover absolutely everything. One thing I was lucky on, my rear light failed and Drovers Cycles were still open so I could go buy another. I had spare front lights, but not rear and that was a mistake.

I took 2 tubes (one standard and one new Schwalbe Aerothan I have on test), Glueless patch kit, chain quick link, worm plunger and spare sticky worms, tyre patch, spare brake pads, 2 x 20g c02 and a mini pump.

I didn't plan on stopping, so no overnight kit except for what was mandatory.
Spare gloves, because wet & cold hands can be disastrous. Cold feet, I can deal with that and quite used to it and just had summer shoes and thin merino socks.

Then just lots of carb rich food (only stopped once to top up), 1 bladder and 1 bottle, although that was empty to start and just used it as a quicker way to top up once. It wasn't warm so over the 15hrs I drank about 3 to 3.5 litres total.
redefined_cycles

mattpage wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am
slarge wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:56 pm I guess the clue to going super light is to go so fast you are only out there a few hours. It seems the longer you are riding the more kit you (feel you) need to take, which makes you slower so you are out there longer. And so the cycle continues......

I took everything I might need to cover likely problems, which I think is the key thing. If something is unlikely to happen, do you really need to make extra effort to try and solve it as you can't cover absolutely everything. One thing I was lucky on, my rear light failed and Drovers Cycles were still open so I could go buy another. I had spare front lights, but not rear and that was a mistake.

I took 2 tubes (one standard and one new Schwalbe Aerothan I have on test), Glueless patch kit, chain quick link, worm plunger and spare sticky worms, tyre patch, spare brake pads, 2 x 20g c02 and a mini pump.

I didn't plan on stopping, so no overnight kit except for what was mandatory.
Spare gloves, because wet & cold hands can be disastrous. Cold feet, I can deal with that and quite used to it and just had summer shoes and thin merino socks.

Then just lots of carb rich food (only stopped once to top up), 1 bladder and 1 bottle, although that was empty to start and just used it as a quicker way to top up once. It wasn't warm so over the 15hrs I drank about 3 to 3.5 litres total.
If you don't mind me asking please Matt, whats the weight of your non laden bike (if you have it to hand)...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

16.75kg all in, not cheating by putting stuff in a rucksack :wink:

Very roughly:

Bike - 11.5kg
Bags and kit - 3.5kg
Water - 750g
Food - 1kg
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:51 pm
If you don't mind me asking please Matt, whats the weight of your non laden bike (if you have it to hand)...
Nothing crazy. 9.89kg ready to ride, so with all mounts, cages, pedals, etc.
redefined_cycles

mattpage wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:58 pm
Thats very light Matt. Well done and I'm assuming there's alit of carbon in there with XTR or SRAM red (equivalent)... I weighed mine the other day with just the rear light, light bracket for front and the Wahoo Roam. 12.5kg. Thats with a 1400g [actually I think its actually 1200g: Sonder Tranamitter] frame, the cheaper Fox forks, carbon bars and bar ends and SLX drivetrain in 1x flavour and an SRAM cassette. I reckon I should be able to get it down to 10kg if I put some careful thought into...

slarge

Post by slarge »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:36 pm
mattpage wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:58 pm
Thats very light Matt. Well done and I'm assuming there's alit of carbon in there with XTR or SRAM red (equivalent)... I weighed mine the other day with just the rear light, light bracket for front and the Wahoo Roam. 12.5kg. Thats with a 1400g [actually I think its actually 1200g: Sonder Tranamitter] frame, the cheaper Fox forks, carbon bars and bar ends and SLX drivetrain in 1x flavour and an SRAM cassette. I reckon I should be able to get it down to 10kg if I put some careful thought into...

Most weight loss comes from careful thought and a fair bit of spending. If you’re building from scratch it’s easy to justify a bit more to get lighter bits, but if you have a bike already then spending £800 on wheels to save 300grams all of a sudden gets spendy. The 2nd hand market and eBay comes in handy, especially if you go for 10speed XTR instead of 11 or 12 speed , which for most of us is pretty good kit
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:36 pm

I think just careful thought and working out where weight is needlessly added is key.

So the frame is a Pivot LES hardtail from years ago, ~1300g.
Shimano XT/XTR 11sp di2 gears, XTR cassette, Race Face Next LP chainset, lightweight mo-name stem, Mt Zoom bar, USE Seat post, Wolfpack race tyres, DT Swiss alloy wheels of some kind.

Things like grips, seat clamp, bottle cages, even bolts. It all adds up, sometimes with no need.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Matt/sLarge... Yeah, I thought as much that you've obviously put some critical thought into getting it to a sub 10kg build. I'm on the 11 speed with the XT/SLX which was at my price point at the time (took a year saving and building it... but not cos I'm broke and rather that I prefer not to work too much :lol: ) along with the new frame from AK.

I think next steps for me are XTR drrivetrain in the forms of rear shifter (whacked up since BB200 2019), rear mech (might aswell hey!) cranks and pedals. That alone would be around 400 to 500g and then to work on forks (another 200g easily removed without going too lightweight and sketchy) after which the DT swiss freehub might be worn. If not I might just save for some Lightweight Bike Co rims and knock another 250g off the m1700 rims.

Glad to know that sub 10.5kg can be easily achieved ovee the next couple of years :lol: with some csreful planning as things wear out...

No more chain swaps for me from now then I suppose :grin:

NB. My BrandX dropper is probably my biggest culprit but I really don't know how most on here do the non-droper thing... Thought that was just a Noighties fad (still don't get how we used to manage it and I reckon these new frames ain't even built for gravity dropping...)