Pressfit BB Bearing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ozboz

Pressfit BB Bearing

Post by ozboz »

Hiya, I am doing some routine servicing on my road bike , I could hear some grinding from the BB , oh noI thought knowing these press fit can be a proper pain , any took the crank and the bearing on the drive side was Sounding a bit gritty , so I took off the seal and using some muc-off spray gave it a good dousing , left it 5 mins and then rotated the barraging with my finger , I couldn’t believe the amount of crap that came out , this road bike has done about 1000 mls , not a lot really , and not much in wet conditions so how it got this shitty is a bit of a head scratcher , the other side is spot in , I’ve checked all seals and they seem ok ,
I’m hoping I caught it before any damage was done , my question is , once all the crap is out what is the preferred grease to repack the bearing , I have lithium, some general purpose and some with copper stuff in it , or will any one do , it appeared that the original grease was the white lithium
Cheers
middleagedmadness

Re: Pressfit BB Bearing

Post by middleagedmadness »

I’d use the lithium , was brought up never to put copper slip of any kind near any bearings, I may be wrong as I work on things much bigger than bike bearings can strip and build a 16speed gear box without thinking but I can’t index gears properly for the life of me :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, don't use 'copper grease' in bearings as it's really an anti-seize rather than a lubricant.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

😂😂😂. I’ve struggled this last few. days with my MTB getting the indexing right , usually it’s ok , but ....,,,
Anyway thanks for advice !