Garmin - Which is recommended

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chambo82

Garmin - Which is recommended

Post by chambo82 »

Probably been asked before so please ignore/point in right direction if it has :roll:

Looking to buy a Garmin for bikepacking trips away, keep seeing Etrex? mentioned in other chats but unsure which model etc is best/recommended, ideally with bar mount and maybe AA batteries but thats not essential :-bd

Cheers in advance

Mark
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Garmin - Which is recommended

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I prefer the Dakota over the eTrex but not everyone thinks the same. Depending on budget, i'd take a look at the Oregon series.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

A cycle specific Garmin Edge of some sorts.
I've been using an 810 (lost it in a crash - don't forget to use GPS devices with a leash) and now 820. It's taken a lot of beating, crashes, droped on the floor, seen many charges and navigated >1000 km long routes in extreme climates and has never let me down.

I liked the pressure sensitive touch screen of the 810 more than the capacitance touch screen of the 820, but it works well with today's gloves, and in rain (with a tiny 'trick').

Etrex, Oregon etc. are good too, they just don't have the cycle specific features of the Edge series, since they're more focussed on hiking etc. for which an Edge works well too.

For a bunch of years now I've been staying away from devices with AA/AAA cells and charge all my stuff (lights, GPS, phone, camera, pulse oxymeter, InReach) by the USB ports. With a dyno hub, battery tank or in special cases solar panel. It couldn't be easier.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

For my bikepacking I use an Edge 1030 and an Oregon 700.

Both have their relative merits compared with the other.
Whilst the Edge has a non-removable battery it will typically last 20 ish hours on a single charge; charge each evening from a USB pack.
Edge has a larger screen.
Oregon has a nicer user interface
Edge is used more for “other stuff”, that is, “normal” cycling, whereas I don’t do much hiking.
Both have a touch screen, which can be infuriating in the rain.

On balance, if I could only have one it would be the Edge, but only because it is used extensively away from bikepacking.

There is often Oregon 700’s on eBay at a good price.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

This thread might help ....from a previous time such a question was asked.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17471
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I just upgraded from Oregon 600 to Oregon 700.

They both link to all the normal sensors - HR, Cadence, Tempe. The displays are configurable so you can have a different set of data on show depending on your activity. You can load a number of different maps and flick between them easily. They run off AA batteries which offers an "emergency" option but can also recharge NIMHs in the unit with just a USB cable.

As an aside, they also seem to have a lot fewer software issues than the various Edge models, though that might just be that there's fewer of them around.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve been very happy with my Edge 1030 with the addition of the external battery pack. Previously I’d had a edge touring and an 810. Both were sold in short order due to poor screens, crashes and other foibles. The 1030 just works, the screen is good, it has great battery life and I never need to plug it into a computer. I run mine on a dynamo and have never charged it on off the bike, it’s never crashed I ride, press the save button and by the time I’ve put the bike in the van it’s uploaded the ride to Strava.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark