Motorised 4 Wheeled Reccomendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Motorised 4 Wheeled Reccomendations

Post by Escape Goat »

Turns out my car has had it. Needs a LOT doing to it, and I've also just spent a lot on it. I know when to stop... Which is now.

Anyone got any recommendations for something reasonable priced estate or van? I don't do engines so keep it relatively simple. Unsure of budget, but I don't want something less than or more than 50-70k on the clock or more than 4 numbers after a pound sign...
redefined_cycles

Re: Motorised 4 Wheeled Reccomendations

Post by redefined_cycles »

Honda petrol flavoured 2.4... bit sluggish but was designed for economy...

Subaru h6 engine but the 3L flavours. Lile the estate Outback or Legacy

Aim fir a good example at the 100k mark and you'll spend less than 3000 and have another 100k miles to drive it.

Any of the older Toyotas or the hybrid ones estate. But sluggish and wuite frankly crap and uncomfy. Byt they'll go for like 300k miles pretty easily and the later models come with (AFAIR) 15 years warranty on the battery.

Anything japanese but originating from there... Think of Shimano but in car version. They complete their work like its their religion and are very precise....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

We're on the second Nissan NV200. 50 plus mpg, drives like a car and plenty of room. Van, crewcab and MPV versions available.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Legacy Outback here. Can't fault it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh and I was surprisingly impressed with a Fiat Doblo I had. Cheap to run, very reliable and loads of room inside.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Our old Berlingo was quite nice. Underpowered, but LOTs of space and storage. We had the XTR maxi version. Only cost us £2k
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks so far guys. I have no idea what to search for as I don't know whats out there.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:21 pm We're on the second Nissan NV200. 50 plus mpg, drives like a car and plenty of room. Van, crewcab and MPV versions available.
I like the look of that Stu.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Escape Goat wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:29 pm Thanks so far guys. I have no idea what to search for as I don't know whats out there.
Make sure above all... you get summat preloved and not prehated.

If its been through 8 hands in 7 years= pre hated

Through 2 hands in 10 years = possibly preloved...

There's a govt site that you oyt details of reg and it brings the MOT history. I think you can get the full history if you have the logbook details. Get used to using it and figuring out if the cars have been failed or advisory on the same thing in subsequent (whatever that word is for one year after another in succession!?) years... For example if you have an advisory on a worn tyre for 2 years in a row, walk away... How could such an owner ensure to put other things right when he can't even sort the advisories like that...

Take your time... Dont be afraid to travel a bit farther and be prepared to walk away. Get used to the AA or other guides on 'don't just be a tyre kicker' things which talk you through main things to check for...

I read once that some cars are worn out by 80k... some are just wearing in at 100k... go for the latter...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Cheers shaf. Very limited on my 4 Wheeled knowledge so it helps.

I'm now keen on doing a camper conversion!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I bought a Seat Leon ST last year and it's excellent. It's mechanically very similar to a VW Golf but cheaper to buy due to the lack of VW badge. Mines a 2 litre turbo diesel and does around 60mpg on a run, tax is only £20 p/a as well. The 1.6 diesels are even more economical and free tax. A cheaper but more roomy option would be an Altea which is a people carrier type vehicle but mechanically similar to the Leon. They're no longer made but second hand ones are pretty good value.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Skoda Octavia.

Very popular with taxi firms :wink:

Good internal size and space. Unexciting but very easy thing to drive. Have done Leeds to Portsmouth round trips in a day and it was almost effortless.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That is a very broad set of requirements

No requirements at all on brand, size, style, engine type, gearbox etc?

Van pricing has gone mental recently so you'll struggle with anything in that price range. Sweet spot for pricing tends to be big saloons and estates. Unless it's special they're not as desirable as small hatches and mini SUVs so you get a proper car with space for a bike and they've deprecated a fair bit. Passat, mondeo, insignia, mazda 6, accord, Aventis etc
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

GregMay wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:04 pm Our old Berlingo was quite nice. Underpowered, but LOTs of space and storage. We had the XTR maxi version. Only cost us £2k
Second this (not necessarily that specific model). For space/£ you can't do better. Used to drive estate cars and they're so much more useful.

The 1.6HDi was powerful enough in my book - enough grunt to overtake safely on single-carriageway roads - but does have a few common (often difficult and expensive to fix) issues. The older 2.0HDi is a bit more robust but rare now. I've just bought a 1.6 petrol as my use (mostly sitting on the drive, short trip to a shop once a week, with the occasional long trip) doesn't really suit a diesel - it's a bit underpowered but I can deal with it for the small amount of driving I do. Tax was over £300 though :shock:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks all. Leaving towards an nv200.