Winter gravel

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

Re: Winter gravel

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Just my two pence worth, I ran the Rock n' Road in tanwall 650b variety on my old Rose and they were great, set up tubeless and I didn't have a single puncture in 6 months of riding until I tore the sidewall on a rock slide what was quite honestly silly terrain to be riding them/the bike on. Kept the front for another few hundred miles before I got a set of resolutes cheap which were okay, but again, put a hole in the sidewall of them, although they did seal with a plug.

I'm currently running Terrano XC in 29x2.25 variety on the new monstergravelwnkr and haven't had any issues, they've taken a beating on techy stuff and I assume that they will share some of the same properties with the gravel versions.

edit: confused by the XC vs Gravel options.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Grubby little urchin.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I've not seen them in stock anywhere recently (but I've not really looked) but I'm very happy with Terrene Elwood 700x40 in the "tough" casing. Pretty speedy on the road or smooth gravel, and plenty of grip until things get muddy.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Based on the info in this thread and my own research im pretty much set on the Marathon Mondials.
I've noticed the folding bead variety comes in a 50-622 sizing. Anyone have experience of fitting this size tyre in to an Arkose, or should I stick to the 40-622 version? Thanks
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

I think I will opt for the Mondials from Spa as recommended earlier,

From what I can see the 50's cost twice as much and I guess it also depends what/if you plan to run mudguards?
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:28 am I'm currently running Terrano XC in 29x2.25 variety on the new monstergravelwnkr and haven't had any issues, they've taken a beating on techy stuff and I assume that they will share some of the same properties with the gravel versions.
Cursed myself, going a bit too fast down past Wainhope bothy and a rock bounced up and tore the sidewall on the Terreno. Colgate tube and an inner tube and it was running fine again until I can replace it. Can't tell if it would have been any better on other tyres as it may have been a freak one.