Krampus build help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mactheknife68

Krampus build help

Post by Mactheknife68 »

So I acquired a Surly Krampus OG frame in moonlight swamp green. I have a new Shimano Deore 1×12 group set to go onto it. Am I going to encounter chain/tyre rub problem in the low gears? I emailed Surly to check compatibility and they suggested a boost crankset. So is that correct or should I bangle the 1×12 and drop down to 1×11.
ton

Re: Krampus build help

Post by ton »

boost crankset will be cheaper that a 1 x 11 groupo. i have one on my ecr . a slx on with 1 x 12 xt.

and yes it is correct.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A standard 1x12 will be fine on a green kramp, no need for boost. The chain will be a wee bit close to the tyre in the granny gear but it'll be fine.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

@ton will this work with a standard bb
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Standard 113 square taper BB and a normal chainline chainset, in the granny ring. 1x no probs
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Cheers, am I right in saying

“There is no difference between the crankset on a boost and non boost bike, boost just uses a 3mm offset chainring, and non boost a 6mm offset. If a crankset is being advertised as boost it simply refers to the chainring attached to the crankset”
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

My 2x10 with 3" knards would rub the chain when I had it in the lowest gears. Even if it doesnt touch it still picked up loads of mud off the sidewall.

It rode really nice though so enjoy.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:23 pm Cheers, am I right in saying

“There is no difference between the crankset on a boost and non boost bike, boost just uses a 3mm offset chainring, and non boost a 6mm offset. If a crankset is being advertised as boost it simply refers to the chainring attached to the crankset”
Direct mount ones like Race Face or Sram yes, not sure about Shimano. But non boost will work as the chainline of a 1x is typcially 50mm which is more than enough
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

@htrider cheers for that, I’ve just checked the spec on my 1x12 cranks on the Shimano site and the chain line is 52mm so should be fine.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Just my two pence worth....
I run a singular rooster which is a similar beastie.
You will find the chain runs very close when on the largest sprocket if you are using a 3" tyre. This won't be a problem in dry conditions.
I switched to a Nobby nic 2.6 which still has loads of volume, a nice rounded profile (rim width depending) and quite chunky knobblies so giving actual traction in the slop which my chronicles never did.
Grubby little urchin.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

I’m planning on running 29x3.0 Chronicle on the rear and Maxxis Minion 29x3.0 on the front on Rabbit hole rims, not sure if that’s going to cause me problems or not?