Headsets and standards

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Headsets and standards

Post by Lazarus »

I miss 1/18 and everything being the same

Short version I need to fit some 1 1/8 forks to an integrated - 52 mm internal headest Kinesis- all new to me in building terms.
Kinesis recommend a bearing that is 35/45 for angles [dont do one for 1/1/8] but only hope seem to do an adapter for 1 1/8 forks and this uses a 45/45 angled bearing - will this really matter or will it work just fine ?
so will this angular difference really matter?
I am prefering hope as I have the top part its only the bottom part that is required and dont want to buy a whole headet but will if I have to

Thanks.
jameso

Re: Headsets and standards

Post by jameso »

That's a faff, 45 angle bearing seats are more common. The angle does matter as the shelf angle in the headtube that needs to match up with the bearing race angle.
Kinesis recommend a bearing that is 35/45 for angles
- a lower bearing with 45 seat angle but a 35 degree crown race angle (usually 36 degrees for crown race tho), or 35 degree upper / 45 degree lower race angles (or V-V)?

As long as head tube and bearing seat angles match up the crown race and lower bearing will be part of the same kit that you can get from Hope.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Not sure hence asking
The top one is a 45/45 - does this suggest its just the crown race that is different as i cannot see why the top cup and bottom are different angles

the bearing for the headest they recommend is
1.1/2” Lower Bearing 36/45, 51.8 OD, 40 ID.
But no adapters for 1 1/8 forks
Hope is the same size but a 45/45 as to which side goes where Sorry I dont have a clue

No one seems to know for sure I guess even you folk cannot keep up with standards so what hope is there for us little people.
jameso

Post by jameso »

1.1/2” Lower Bearing 36/45, 51.8 OD, 40 ID.
Ok so that's a 45 bearing seat in the frame (normal) and a 36 degree crown race angle. It's the same spec lower bearing as an Arkose, an FSA Orbit C40 ACB, common size. It's the NO.42/48/ACB on this page, https://www.fullspeedahead.com/en/suppo ... tegory=139
pdf 2D drawing on the link (FFS, FSA call it the C40 but aka no42.. drives me nuts too :grin: )

From Hope you'll be getting a bearing with a 45 degree frame-side and a 45 degree crown race side, and I assume the reducer crown race comes with it. The 36 degree bit of the old lower bearing and crown race doesn't matter. All good :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Cheers i very much appreciate your help and I shall get the Hope one - i was assuming you were the one with the knowledge so cheets for your time,expertise and help.
Its a seperate part to enable the standard crown race @ 1 .5 to fit the fork - so handy when the fork gets upgraded
probably adds a few mm to [effective] A- C
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:46 pm Cheers i very much appreciate your help and I shall get the Hope one - i was assuming you were the one with the knowledge so cheets for your time,expertise and help.
Its a seperate part to enable the standard crown race @ 1 .5 to fit the fork - so handy when the fork gets upgraded
probably adds a few mm to [effective] A- C
No problem, I have the cheat sheets here (FSA and Shimano diagram books etc)