the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mattpage

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by mattpage »

Llyn Cowlyd is tough and there are a few really tough climbs around there. Not sure exactly which way up people mean, but either from Talybont/Castell or from Trefriw. They are pretty steep!

The toughest for me I think is Bwlch y Groes. It isn't quite as steep, but longer and doesn't seem to relent with the steepest section near the top.

There is also what I think will be a brute from Arthog near Fairbourne and up towards Cader Idris.
I drove down it a few weeks ago and need to go back and try riding it. Very narrow, very steep and pretty green.

Hardknott is a toughie too, but a few bits to get your breathe back before the really steep bit. It is hard both sides too.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

mattpage wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:50 pm Llyn Cowlyd is tough and there are a few really tough climbs around there. Not sure exactly which way up people mean, but either from Talybont/Castell or from Trefriw. They are pretty steep!........
To throw a spanner in the works....
On the OS map the Trefriw road has 3 of those dreaded black arrows and the Tal y Bont road up to Eigiau/Coedty has 4!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

The road from the Blue Ball Inn, past Triscombe quarry to the Triscombe Stone car park on the west face of the Quantocks between Bishops Lydeard and Williton.

It's a bit shabby nowadays, but doable on a mountain/gravel bike. It's horrendous.

Also a road from Draycott on the south face of the Mendips, up to the gliding club . It's called Draycott Sleights. I rode it in a group once, two of use rode up, the three who got off and pushed had to wait for us at the top :oops:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Sounds like a need a day ring these steep climbs in North Wales :-bd
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:28 pm Sounds like a need a day ring these steep climbs in North Wales :-bd
Give me a heads up when you plan it, I'll drive ;)

Instagram:

YouTube:
composite

Post by composite »

Pretty sure neither of these would really constitute the toughest but...

Bushcoomb Lane in the Cotswolds is a bit of a stinker at 25%.

The Burway on the Long Mynd can be tough if the wind is in the wrong direction as particularly the last section is very exposed. It's also one of those that keeps appearing to be finished and then there's a bit more.

I have only ever done these as part of 200km Audax rides though so in that context they probably felt harder than they are in isolation.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I was backpacking in the Carneddau at the weekend, and I parked near Llyn Eigiau. I drove up the Tal y Bont road up to Llyn Eigiau and vowed to myself never to go near it on my bike. I probably will at some point though.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

The Cumbrian wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:02 pm I was backpacking in the Carneddau at the weekend, and I parked near Llyn Eigiau. I drove up the Tal y Bont road up to Llyn Eigiau and vowed to myself never to go near it on my bike. I probably will at some point though.
Eigiau is my stomping ground, love it there. Yep the road is a tough climb especially near the bottom.
Any pics of said trip?

Instagram:

YouTube:
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

[
Eigiau is my stomping ground, love it there. Yep the road is a tough climb especially near the bottom.
Any pics of said trip?
[/quote]

Hundreds....

I'll post some up when I get the chance, and also watch your video from Pen Llithrig y Wrach. That was my final peak. I started up Pen y Castell, followed by Drum, Foel-Fras (where I camped), Carnedd Gwenllian, Foel Grach, Carnedd Llewelyn, Pen yr Helhi Du and Pen Llithrig y Wrach. I got a bit sunburned on the last weekend in September, after ditching the suncream to save weight...
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

At the risk of being somewhat contentious, the toughest climb is the one that appears after a feckless riding buddy has proclaimed that the climb previous was the "last one". :roll:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Burway after the cattle grid when damp and the Port Way grid to Burway junction when windy is type2 at best.

Brown Clee access road / Clee Cycles Brown Clee climb challenge is a good 'un as is Boulden to radio masts to the south of Brown Clee.

Greetz

S.
Al

Post by Al »

If we’re doing Shropshire then Asterton Bank up to the gliding club is worse than the Burway. And my driveway is worse still - completely impregnable on a road bike at the bottom I reckon (but a good deal shorter!).
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

whitestone wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 pm The road to Llyn Cowlyd from Trefriw. Just 2km but :shock:
Terrifying just riding down it!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
RIP

Post by RIP »

99percentchimp wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:41 pm
whitestone wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 pm The road to Llyn Cowlyd from Trefriw. Just 2km but :shock:
Terrifying just riding down it!
Aye, going down is worse than going up I reckon! New thread.. "Toughest Road Descent etc etc"....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ton

Post by ton »

just a quick note, to say i rode the Bealach Na Ba.

it was pretty horrendous on my surly ecr with 3'' tyres.

also it pissed it down the whole way up and down, with zero views from the top................ ace :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ton wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:16 pm just a quick note, to say i rode the Bealach Na Ba.

it was pretty horrendous on my surly ecr with 3'' tyres.

also it pissed it down the whole way up and down, with zero views from the top................ ace :-bd
Good effort. I've contemplated it on the 29+ just to ride the ace trail out the back of Applecross bay but so far I've not been bothered. There is a nice alternative around the coast for the fat bikers amongst us...