the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

User avatar
htrider
Posts: 3224
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by htrider » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:37 pm

ScotRoutes wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:16 am
htrider wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:03 pm
Applecross / Bealach na ba - 0 to 620m and back in 8 miles.
Is no one else going to object to the mixed measurement units then? I was trying to ignore it but it keeps getting requoted.
Whatever... :mrgreen:

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 6321
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by ScotRoutes » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Anyway, it's 18km from the bridge at Tornapress to the Applecross Inn for those heading that way.

ton
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:53 am

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by ton » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:31 pm

y Escape Goat » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 am

ton wrote: ↑Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:08 pm
Applecross / Bealach na ba - 0 to 620m and back in 8 miles.
glad that came up, i am doing it next week.
Its not that tough, but it is thst amazing.

at 20 stone any climb is tough, trust me. so i reckon the longest in the uk might do me in.......... :lol:

Landslide
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:00 pm

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by Landslide » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:29 pm

While we're tidying things up...
at 127kg any climb is tough, trust me. so i reckon the longest in the uk might do me in.......... :lol:

User avatar
RIP
Posts: 4822
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Seat 23 (window, facing), Coach H, 08.05 Leighton Buzzard - Euston
Contact:

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by RIP » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:43 pm

Let's be really tidy - 1244 Newtons :smile:
"My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster

Landslide
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:00 pm

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by Landslide » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:17 pm

I wasn't sure of ton's age, so thought it best not to refer to him as old or new.

belugabob
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by belugabob » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:30 pm

Delv4 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:27 pm
Every single one when you are as gravitationally challenged as myself :roll:
^^This

Not being from 'Oop north' the ones that I aware of are...

Succomb's Hill, just off the A22, in Surrey. Really sharp corner, immediately followed by the steepest section. It's tricky enough in a car. You'd have to pick a really quiet part of the night, to tackle it, as it's too busy, normally

The climb from Blagdon Lake, to Two Trees, in the Mendips. There's a nasty steep windy but above the village of Blagdon, and the last mile of so is dead straight and just taunts you with how far you have to go (and it was roasting hit on the day we did it) I tolerated it, though, as it meant we got to ride DOWN Cheddar Gorge

User avatar
summittoppler
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: North Wales

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by summittoppler » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:16 pm

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 pm
whitestone wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 pm
The road to Llyn Cowlyd from Trefriw. Just 2km but :shock:
Seconded, although Strava has it at 3km. Either way, it's on the home turf of ex hill climb champion Dan Evans so it must be good...
Only a few miles from me, I get tired driving up it!! A tough one and Dan can make any climb look easy!

redefined_cycles
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am
Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by redefined_cycles » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:23 pm

summittoppler wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:16 pm
AndyTheBikeGuy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 pm
whitestone wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 pm
The road to Llyn Cowlyd from Trefriw. Just 2km but :shock:
Seconded, although Strava has it at 3km. Either way, it's on the home turf of ex hill climb champion Dan Evans so it must be good...
Only a few miles from me, I get tired driving up it!! A tough one and Dan can make any climb look easy!
So if Jeff has endorsed it and he topples summits. Can we conclude that this one indeed is the toughest UK climb. Or is it still work in progress/debate.

Out of interest, anyone on here actually climbed it (on a road bike)... Turning into a 'best thread of all time' this Ton... Thanks :smile:

redefined_cycles
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am
Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by redefined_cycles » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:25 pm

RIP wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:43 pm
Let's be really tidy - 1244 Newtons :smile:
I got it (for a change... I never get em until its days down the line) :lol:

User avatar
RIP
Posts: 4822
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Seat 23 (window, facing), Coach H, 08.05 Leighton Buzzard - Euston
Contact:

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by RIP » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:27 pm

redefined_cycles wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:23 pm
summittoppler wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:16 pm
AndyTheBikeGuy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 pm
whitestone wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 pm
The road to Llyn Cowlyd from Trefriw. Just 2km but :shock:
Seconded, although Strava has it at 3km. Either way, it's on the home turf of ex hill climb champion Dan Evans so it must be good...
Only a few miles from me, I get tired driving up it!! A tough one and Dan can make any climb look easy!
So if Jeff has endorsed it and he topples summits. Can we conclude that this one indeed is the toughest UK climb. Or is it still work in progress/debate.

Out of interest, anyone on here actually climbed it (on a road bike)... Turning into a 'best thread of all time' this Ton... Thanks :smile:
Aye, several years ago, on MTB. Quite entertaining. Go on - you know you want to :smile: .
"My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster

redefined_cycles
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am
Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by redefined_cycles » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:35 pm

RIP wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:27 pm
redefined_cycles wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:23 pm
summittoppler wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:16 pm
AndyTheBikeGuy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 pm
whitestone wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 pm
The road to Llyn Cowlyd from Trefriw. Just 2km but :shock:
Seconded, although Strava has it at 3km. Either way, it's on the home turf of ex hill climb champion Dan Evans so it must be good...
Only a few miles from me, I get tired driving up it!! A tough one and Dan can make any climb look easy!
So if Jeff has endorsed it and he topples summits. Can we conclude that this one indeed is the toughest UK climb. Or is it still work in progress/debate.

Out of interest, anyone on here actually climbed it (on a road bike)... Turning into a 'best thread of all time' this Ton... Thanks :smile:
Aye, several years ago, on MTB. Quite entertaining. Go on - you know you want to :smile: .
Reg... I do. But getting there by mtb is a long thing and possibly a chore. My grvl wannabe bike might be able to I'd prefer not to walk up it (at all). The grvl (wannabe) is 34 rear and 34 front (so a proper 1 ratio)... hmmm. Amazing find that and well done Reg

User avatar
RIP
Posts: 4822
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Seat 23 (window, facing), Coach H, 08.05 Leighton Buzzard - Euston
Contact:

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by RIP » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:38 pm

I'm sure Jeff's done it zillions of times and knows every foible, pothole and bit of broken glass :-bd . I didn't see any of those 'cos I had my eyes closed the whole way up so as not to get demoralised...
"My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster

User avatar
summittoppler
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: North Wales

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by summittoppler » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:58 pm

RIP wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:38 pm
I'm sure Jeff's done it zillions of times and knows every foible, pothole and bit of broken glass :-bd . I didn't see any of those 'cos I had my eyes closed the whole way up so as not to get demoralised...
Yeah I've rode it but only on a mtb over the years and probably not in the last 7 due to riding fat. Also I like to think I'm wiser now so as not to even include it on a route!
For those who don't know it, have a gander on Google Street View but try not to dab ;)

jam bo
Posts: 471
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by jam bo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:09 pm

I seem to recall hardknot being fairly unpleasant.

User avatar
RIP
Posts: 4822
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Seat 23 (window, facing), Coach H, 08.05 Leighton Buzzard - Euston
Contact:

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by RIP » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:14 pm

Jeff - I've now just remembered I did it on a 150 f/s MTB adorned with my BP kit, which was a typically stupid thing to do!

I must admit I stopped at the right hand bend about a third (?) of the way up to, er, look at the view. Got a photo somewhere. I vaguely recall there was a particularly nasty bit after the woods which nearly did for me. Thank gawd for 3x9 :grin: .
"My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster


redefined_cycles
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am
Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by redefined_cycles » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:29 pm

RIP wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:38 pm
I'm sure Jeff's done it zillions of times and knows every foible, pothole and bit of broken glass :-bd . I didn't see any of those 'cos I had my eyes closed the whole way up so as not to get demoralised...
Well... The other day I came across a wuarry and wondered if you'd seen it. It said to ensure children dont go and play (or summat) and no trespassing and that it was on 'closed time'. So I added all thre together and realised they must've been talking bout children shouldn't trespass and parents should tell em off. So I looked around to ensure my mum n dad weren't anywhere to be seen and went and took a little secret peek (for you off course :-bd ).

There was someone moonlighting I think as there was a solitary car and obviously a digger working behind the hills/stones. Maybe he was nicking stone as the front door was open (broken)... Took this pic and a few cows and then realsied there was a shaft somewhere closeby. Started writing it up on the appropriate thread but then got worried about being PC... So stopped.

Anyways, now you mention you've done the hardest UK climb (as per Jeff standards) then here you go. Congrats Jeff :-bd

Oh well... Looks like Imgur for my pics is having a bit of a nervouse breakdown. Bloomin thing. Pics can be seen here Reg and I'll add the grid ref/OS section if you can see it on there (Strava)... :???:


https://strava.app.link/mOAtFW0629

The quarry was just a bit busy!

User avatar
RIP
Posts: 4822
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Seat 23 (window, facing), Coach H, 08.05 Leighton Buzzard - Euston
Contact:

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by RIP » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:49 pm

:smile:
"My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster

User avatar
Borderer
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Scottish Borders
Contact:

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by Borderer » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:41 pm

I think the Mennock Pass deserves a mention.
It has a white bike memorial at the side of it. I don't know if they were going up or down though.

It's in Simon Warren's 100 climbs book.

User avatar
ootini
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by ootini » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:17 pm

A few i can think of.
Clwyd Gate.
Horse shoe pass.
Killings Hill on the Great orme, Llandudno.
All North Wales.

User avatar
voodoo_simon
Posts: 2903
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by voodoo_simon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:07 am

The Panceltic team, based in North Wales, were musing about the Rowan climb being the toughest in the UK and they’ve done the Llyn Cowlyd climb several times.

Personally, hmmm, Forty Acre lane going up to longridge is the only road climb I’ve stopped on going up, but that was in winter and into a nasty of nastiest headwinds, was also some years ago before compact chainsets and big cassettes came about

User avatar
summittoppler
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: North Wales

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by summittoppler » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:08 am

voodoo_simon wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:07 am
The Panceltic team, based in North Wales, were musing about the Rowan climb being the toughest in the UK and they’ve done the Llyn Cowlyd climb several times.........
Where's this Rowan climb?

User avatar
voodoo_simon
Posts: 2903
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by voodoo_simon » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:23 pm

summittoppler wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:08 am
voodoo_simon wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:07 am
The Panceltic team, based in North Wales, were musing about the Rowan climb being the toughest in the UK and they’ve done the Llyn Cowlyd climb several times.........
Where's this Rowan climb?
My mistake, Rowen, the climb up the the YHA. It’s about 5 miles south of Conwy - I’ve done it loaded up on the SS but can’t recall if I pushed it or not :roll: Not done the road to Cowlyd, so can’t compare the two myself

Edit - just looked at my blog from 2013 and I said I pushed parts of it :oops:

User avatar
summittoppler
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: North Wales

Re: the toughest road climb in the uk is.......... ?

Post by summittoppler » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:57 pm

voodoo_simon wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:23 pm
summittoppler wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:08 am
voodoo_simon wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:07 am
The Panceltic team, based in North Wales, were musing about the Rowan climb being the toughest in the UK and they’ve done the Llyn Cowlyd climb several times.........
Where's this Rowan climb?
My mistake, Rowen, the climb up the the YHA. It’s about 5 miles south of Conwy - I’ve done it loaded up on the SS but can’t recall if I pushed it or not :roll: Not done the road to Cowlyd, so can’t compare the two myself

Edit - just looked at my blog from 2013 and I said I pushed parts of it :oops:
I thought it might have been typo. Yeah I know the climb well and yes its a killer. It's only about 5 miles from me. Very steep at a point! Personally I think the Trefriw climb is tougher one though.

Post Reply