mini aero bar thingy

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: mini aero bar thingy

Post by thenorthwind »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:03 pm Yep. Bought a set of Jones cuts specifically so I could slide bar ends onto the front,
Ah, didn't realise Jones did a set like that - basically what I was thinking of doing to my Confucius. Interesting what you're both saying about it being too short - I did wonder. Would be good if I could find a way to try something out before I commit with the hacksaw. Duct tape may be involved :grin:

The Crazy bars look like they'd be too wide for a comfortable leaning position? And probably also too short.
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:31 pm
Have you tried the VO Casey's Crazy bars?
One of my favourie bars. Not quite as good as these but still very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-p4gXvs3AU
:-bd thanks Stu, that made my lunch break! :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Crazy bars look like they'd be too wide for a comfortable leaning position? And probably also too short.
The extensions work surprisingly well. You're not going to go into a full aero tuck but on a mountainbike you're probably not going to anyway - I always find aero bars on a mtb to be too low and oddly, too narrow. The crazy bars do pop your elbows out a bit but they're very comfy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm not sure the Crazy bars are designed for aero, it's more the inbound/extra hand position that James and ScotRoutes were discussing. It's an excellent position for long rides tbf. I found it great for climbing. The alloy bars are a bit too stiff for my delicate hands though, and the steel ones are pretty heavy.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:47 pm
The extensions work surprisingly well. You're not going to go into a full aero tuck but on a mountainbike you're probably not going to anyway - I always find aero bars on a mtb to be too low and oddly, too narrow. The crazy bars do pop your elbows out a bit but they're very comfy.
You're quite right. And yes, standard aero bars on a mountain bike are usually too low. You can get risers, but they're quite expensive. Would be interesting to try the Crazy bars, but I'm not opening that can of worms. Again.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used standard aero bars on a MTB with some success. I've done it when I've had a big route with lots of road sections. I reckon they are worth 2, maybe 3, gears.
jameso

Post by jameso »

:shock:
FLV

Post by FLV »

thats a weird thing indeed :grin:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Yeah, what idiot goes jousting without a helmet?
FLV

Post by FLV »

a confident one
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Either that or someone who knows that their lance won't shatter into a thousand sharp splinters of wood.

Back on the other photo, is that a rohloff shifter that's been mounted on the stem faceplate?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Looks like it. A stem plate twist-grip Narwhal.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Is that a telescopic lance?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:10 pm Either that or someone who knows that their lance won't shatter into a thousand sharp splinters of wood.

Back on the other photo, is that a rohloff shifter that's been mounted on the stem faceplate?
Negative for Rohloff.
It’s a Pinion P1.12 shifter.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

lune ranger wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:00 am
PaulB2 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:10 pm Either that or someone who knows that their lance won't shatter into a thousand sharp splinters of wood.

Negative for Rohloff.
It’s a Pinion P1.12 shifter.
James I think you owe us all an explanation ... or at least a few more pics of that bike. Yeah?
I'm just going outside ...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just saw the bike online somewhere. Pinion, drop bars and 700x40s with aero bar/pole. Lauf fork. No idea what was going on tbh :)
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Maybe they thought that with the Lauf the bike would be gopping anyway so they might as well go for broke.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:55 pm You can do something similar with a set of old bar ends Dave ... no one will ever know once they're wrapped. :-bd
I was gonna say there's gotta be a cheaper alternative than 95$ surley, two sticks maybe, but good sticks
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams