Tundra -5 Pure (bag 1) @790g
71%
Tundra -5 Pure n Dry (bag 2) @ 950g
29%

Total votes: 7
redefined_cycles

(a downbag vote)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyone wants to vote, for my new bag. The options are linked below. Both in -5 comfort flavour but one being 100g lighter due to having the lighter non-waterproof/resistant shell in the centre.

Backstory is that I managed to move forth the Chinese duck down (with ethical standards apparently) bag. But they find it hard giving humans rights - think, the concentration camps for the Uyghers or the sweatshops like Nikes very own when Pilger reported many years ago about the basic lack of sanitisation in these factories, never mind other basic amenities - to the humans, so I'm not sure how far they'd go ensuring animal welfare/protection.

The bags below are downpass certified of which Criterion is also a member (eu laws about the 5 rights seen here https://www.criterion-sleepingbags.co.u ... own-policy and I'm happily content... or 'contently happy') and I'm going for Tundra cos of the 10% sale as well as 'direct to consumer' model saving me dosh. The down is also from older birds on open farms kept for breeding. Down is taken from the nests :o whilst they're not looking... :smile:

Bag 1 https://www.tundrasleepingbags.com/slee ... re-minus-5

Bag 2 fully waterproof/resist outer https://www.tundrasleepingbags.com/slee ... ry-minus-5
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shewie

Re: The democratic republic of, erm, (a downbag vote)

Post by Shewie »

Tricky one, maybe suck up the extra dosh and grams and go for the more weather resistant version, but then again how wet and mingy do sleeping bags get in a well pitched shelter.
redefined_cycles

Shewie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:59 pm Tricky one, maybe suck up the extra dosh and grams and go for the more weather resistant version, but then again how wet and mingy do sleeping bags get in a well pitched shelter.
Rich... I'm not sure I know the anserr. My main camping exp is in an 8 man tent for trail centres and then bivy bag when I attempted my BAM a couple years ago. I was a bit amazed at how much condensation the tarp amassed on the Eccles Pike bivy. Was only there a few hours... I obviously need to work on my pitching aswell and I imagine the Trekkertent with hard inner is gonna get quite 'condensy' in the winter months...
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:14 pm
Shewie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:59 pm Tricky one, maybe suck up the extra dosh and grams and go for the more weather resistant version, but then again how wet and mingy do sleeping bags get in a well pitched shelter.
Rich... I'm not sure I know the anserr. My main camping exp is in an 8 man tent for trail centres and then bivy bag when I attempted my BAM a couple years ago. I was a bit amazed at how much condensation the tarp amassed on the Eccles Pike bivy. Was only there a few hours... I obviously need to work on my pitching aswell and I imagine the Trekkertent with hard inner is gonna get quite 'condensy' in the winter months...
Condensation is a funny one, I just take it as it comes now, I've had it in a hammock system plenty of times five feet off the ground so it's not always about poor ventilation. Changing air temps, ground moisture, dew point, vapour from your body, vapour from cooking, wet clothes/shoes/kit, the list goes on.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: (a downbag vote)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shaf' do consider that the 'waterproof' bag might not breath as well, which could mean the insulation becoming a little damp if vapour can't easily leave the outer shell. It may be more of an 'in theory' rather than practical problem but worthy of consideration.

Note: I've not read the bag specs.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:26 am Shaf' do consider that the 'waterproof' bag might not breath as well, which could mean the insulation becoming a little damp if vapour can't easily leave the outer shell. It may be more of an 'in theory' rather than practical problem but worthy of consideration.

Note: I've not read the bag specs.
Thanks Stu... yes, I was thinking about that too. The lighter one has the foot and head sections covered with the proofed stuff (10000 hydrostatic it states) whereas the fully made with that material...

I imagine the proofed one would also be a nightmare to wash n dry for that same reason too :smile:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, the shell materials used for down bags are water "resistant" to some extent, certainly they'll handle a brief contact with condensation. What they won't cope with is immersion or constant/driving rain. Also down doesn't suddenly lose all its insulating properties at the mere hint of moisture, you just have to take a bit of care.

The heavier material of the "waterproof" version will also be bulkier when packed.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'd go for the lighter one from those two. Protect the bag as best from moisture with a bivi bag / shelter etc. I resistant foot box is nice if the foot spends time pressed against the end of a tent.
If in bivi, I put (use a tent more recently) the tarp up even in nice weather to catch the morning moisture for me, minimise it on the bag.

Saying all that, I would actually go for the Pure 0 from that range. I almost always take jacket and cosy socks when heading out in the cold. Also I tend to use a tent with nylon inner so even if the temp drops a long way outside, I rarely need a bigger bag when inside.

Saying all that again, I am a huge fan of Quilts and syn mats.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Having read the comments from the more experienced above, I voted for the lighter version.
redefined_cycles

Thanks everyone. Pure ordered and the nice man (Chris) has done a deal and thre quarts (£310 for the bag and carriage) and it comes with a tiny carbon footprint. Well, the lining is from France with the down from Poland and made in Warsaw (poland).

Hopefully it's not too unhappy birds aswell when they get back to their nest and see 400g of down missing across nests :grin: