Canyon sizes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Canyon sizes

Post by Shewie »

Out of curiosity I just thought I'd see what frame size I might need for a Grail if one ever came my way :roll:

I've put my measurements in their size calculator, 178cm tall, 80cm inseam, and it thinks I need a size small, most other manufacturers suggest I'm M/L, around 55-56cm

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/gravel-bik ... be=SR%2FBK

Given that I can't try one for size before ordering, would you trust it?
johnnystorm

Re: Canyon sizes

Post by johnnystorm »

It's going back a few years now but I bought a Canyon based on their sizing calculator, it was just too small and I ended up selling it on having barely ridden it. Obviously ymmv but I'd be checking the geo against bikes you've ridden and liked very closely.
Last edited by johnnystorm on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Just put my dimensions in and it's come up with a 'small'. I'm 176cm with a 83cm inseam and almost bang on a medium in most other brands I've looked at. However, looking at the dimensions for the Canyon 'small', it looks pretty bang on actually.

I'm actually working on a basic fit advisor system right now so this is pretty relevant to me right now. As a matter of interest, how many people on here would be confident ordering a bike based on an online fit suggestion like that one from Canyon. I'm talking about a brand specific one similar to Canyon, not a generic one.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ Agreed, I get a Medium or Large borderline at 184cm and the actual sizing in terms of reach and ST length both look fine for me. The front end (or Stack, as BB is also low) of the M is too low for me to consider it for much off-road use, but the L would be fine. They're long-low frames and that's their design call based on use/intent etc. It looks really nice overall. Always impressed with Canyon's Al bikes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

As a matter of interest, how many people on here would be confident ordering a bike based on an online fit suggestion like that one from Canyon. I'm talking about a brand specific one similar to Canyon, not a generic one.
It might depends how well the brand explains its reasoning and handles the borderline sizing overlap for a lot of customers? If sizing can't be done by numbers alone and the variables or why 2 riders of the same height can have such different fits is tricky for a calculation or grid to handle, the 'more info' or grey area explanation that would give me the confidence rather than the sizing system itself.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Might be worth getting in touch with James Hayden, he's 1m86cm so taller but if he rides a large, I'd suggest a medium. Given they're sold mail order, distance selling regs allow you to swap sizes unless it's a custom build but clearly you'd prefer to avoid the hassle.