What are you drinking now?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Re: What are you drinking now?

Post by gairym »

I'm being very restrictive with my beer consumption (due to being a bit fat bugger and wanting to be less of one) and so just two solitary ales this evening.

A 6.5% Spanish hazy IPA (was very nice) AND a 10.5% Norwegian Coconut and Chocolate Chip Cookie Stout (was arguably a tad overkill but cripes it was tasty!).

Lovely, lovely, lovely!!!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Coconut and choc chip? Interesting one. I'm not sure about the current fad of putting coconut in everything but worth a try.

I'm on Northern Monk choc/caramel/biscuit stout again. I'm getting quite monoquaffic. Cleaned Morrisbums out again this morning. Their stock control people must be wondering what's going on down in Leighton Buzzard.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I just had a jelly doughnut - 25ml of chambord topped with 25ml of baileys
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

gairym wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:37 am
RIP wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 pm
sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:18 pm Breakfast Stout
That's one of those annoying word pairs which have to be spoken with a deliberate pause or they slur together. When read aloud (well, in my head rather, or Mrs P would give me a funny look) they sounded like either Brechfa Stout (let me off the f/v) or breakfast out. Come to think of it, either are quite appropriate for bikepacking. I still curse my folks for my first and sur names which slur together - phone conversants think I'm an Irish-Swedish hybrid.
A kid at my school was called Neil Lyidiat - not the wisest parenting choice inho. :lol:
At least the registrar had their sons best interests at heart, so Mr & Mrs Peacock were refused to register their son Drew!
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:32 pm Coconut and choc chip? Interesting one.
That a criminal Combination.
Is there a Bounty on that one :grin:

*flavoured beer for the Lush Starbucks generation...
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Jameson's..hic
ootini

Post by ootini »

Mallow laser quest - pineapple and marshmallow ale. Shouldn't work, but it does.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sloe g+,. but run out of Ice
gairym

Post by gairym »

This evening I am breaking my 'no beer until my weight is down to 110kg' rule as.....

.....I'm going in for the snip on the morrow! :-bd

So far I've necked two (different) Norwegian hazy IPA's (both from Amundsen - great brewery!).

Onwards and upwards*!!!

*note: it's an early night/start so I'll only have one or two more max
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ Anaesthetic?

Actually I'm rather surprised nobody's brewed a beer called 'Local Anaesthetic'. It would be quite high ABV I guess. Why not have a very high ABV one called 'General Anaesthetic' too. In fact you could have a whole range based on varying states of numbness.

I'd better copyright these quick. Or better still, open a brewery and make them. Landslide'll tell me someone already has.

Reminds me of a similarly themed beer, which had my favourite name of all time - Roger And Out. Only had one once in Sheffield. Got a shustif... shert... sustifificic... fookinell.... hic... bit of paper.. to prove it....
Last edited by RIP on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

AndreR

Post by AndreR »

A Hobgoblin gold follows by a Black Sheep milk stout
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

gairym wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:23 pmAmundsen - great brewery!
Agreed. Those Norwegians know how to make a stout too. See also: Lervig.
RIP wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:16 pm Actually I'm rather surprised nobody's brewed a beer called 'Local Anaesthetic'. It would be quite high ABV I guess. Why not have a very high ABV one called 'General Anaesthetic' too. In fact you could have a whole range based on varying states of numbness.

I'd better copyright these quick. Or better still, open a brewery and make them. Landslide'll tell me someone already has.
Sorry Reg, three "local anaesthetic"s already: https://untappd.com/search?q=anaesthetic Can't see a "general" though, go for it!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

A rose and orange G&T courtesy of the missus’ gin club. Gin isn’t overly my thing but this is nice. Straining the dried rosebuds through your teeth takes a little getting used to though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:45 pm Sorry Reg, three "local anaesthetic"s already: https://untappd.com/search?q=anaesthetic Can't see a "general" though, go for it!
Blast, I knew it. They can't spell properly though so it's still a go-er I reckon! And "Tropical Anaesthetic"? I'll bet that's got coconut in it - yuk.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

St Mars of the Desert, Jack D'Or, Saison Americaine.
Dee-lish.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Landslide wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:00 pm St Mars of the Desert, Jack D'Or, Saison Americaine.
Dee-lish.
I'm yet to have a beer of theirs I don't like... though a Saison might be pushing it as not usually my thing. I presume "Americaine" is a reference to the variety/level of hops? Sounds interesting at least.

My girlfriend's just handed me a hot chocolate. Night off the booze tonight because we're celebrating her birthday tomorrow night. Beer is on the way tomorrow. Tempted to sneak a tot of brandy into this though :oops:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Another one of them Aldi vanilla stouts. In a wood, May BAM in progress, next to what should be some bluebells, and hoping that Mr Badger might make an appearance (not a euphemism :lol: )
After much procrastination this week, I should have picked a good night for it https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57023702
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:16 pmI'm yet to have a beer of theirs I don't like... though a Saison might be pushing it as not usually my thing. I presume "Americaine" is a reference to the variety/level of hops? Sounds interesting at least.
The can is not forthcoming with further information. I'd say it's got a little extra rustic body, but without the slightly gritty, mouth-drying feeling I sometimes get from saisons.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:44 pm Another one of them Aldi vanilla stouts.
Here's my curated (arg) bucket (*) list of van stouts to try and get from somewhere, which Landslide has rubber-stamped. Just gotta get hold of them all now.

First Chop Vanilla Stout (Manchester)
Titanic Choc Vanilla Stout (Stoke) - hard to find now?
Little Valley Vanilla Porter
Theakston (really?!) Vanilla Stout
Gorilla Vanilla Gorilla (Mexborough)
Cumbrian Ales Vanilla Oatmeal Stout (sounds yum!)
Mumbles Choc Van Porter (my sister says she's sorting me out with a baker's dozen. They're only down the road from you V of course)
St Austell (also really?!) Vanilla and Bourbon Porter
Beartown Creme Bearlee (Congleton)
Brass Castle Bad Kitty (Malton) (and a Very Bad Kitty as well)
Fox Vanilla
and of course Aldi van stout :smile:

Nooo, of course, I jest, that penultimate one might not be an actual beer :wink: .

(*) probably best drunk from a glass, or Ti mug, or... no.. maybe the bucket after all....
In a wood
:-bd

Verena

Post by Verena »

That's quite a list there!

I never even knew vanilla stout was a thing... but I like it...

But reading this thread makes me realize I just don't take my drinking seriously enough :???:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

half a bottle of beer I started last night or was it the night before, re capped & in fridge, no it wasn't milk stout :-bd.
it was ok and still too good to put on my chips!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:25 pm
Here's my curated (arg) bucket (*) list of van stouts to try and get from somewhere,
I’m sure you’re aware of the ABV’s of these, after the silverstone ‘incident’ is this wise?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:44 pm Another one of them Aldi vanilla stouts. In a wood, May BAM in progress, next to what should be some bluebells, and hoping that Mr Badger might make an appearance (not a euphemism :lol: )
After much procrastination this week, I should have picked a good night for it https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57023702
You alright out there V? It's somewhat moist here to say the least. Nice to hear the raindrops on your tarp though.

RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:03 am
RIP wrote:Fri May 07, 2021 11:25 pm
Here's my curated (arg) bucket (*) list of van stouts to try and get from somewhere,
I’m sure you’re aware of the ABV’s of these, after the silverstone ‘incident’ is this wise?
You're right, Sergeant Wilson :grin: . I am probably the Captain Mainwaring of bikepacking :smile: . Or possibly Private Godfrey these days.

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:32 am
You alright out there V? It's somewhat moist here to say the least. Nice to hear the raindrops on your tarp though.
Yes I do love that, nice sound - especially when the drops stay firmly on the outside (which they did :-bd )