Ergon saddles experiences?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Ergon saddles experiences?

Post by woodsmith »

Thinking about changing my current saddle (specialized Henge) for an Ergon SMC Sport gel . Anybody any experiece?
Not interested in a Brooks.
Motorman

Re: Ergon saddles experiences?

Post by Motorman »

They are not a bad saddle and I have one on my SS, however they are nowhere near as comfortable as the B17's I have on all my other bikes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A bit underwhelmed by mine - did all the on line sizing thing and put in I wanted a seat for endurance and touring. When it turned up it was flat and felt too narrow in the middle. In use this was confirmed - it was OK for a few hours but then started to hurt. Its all personal but not a patch on my WTB speed or rocket.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

I have tried two Ergon saddles, the older SMC3 Pro and the newer SMC4 Sport. I've found the SMC4 Sport more comfy, but it depends on whether you like padding in your shorts or your saddle. I've recently been riding without bibs more often (just using "Comfy Balls" pants) so the gel saddle works for me.

I rode with a Brooks B17 touring and Brooks Cambium on my gravel bike. Both are okay but heavy and the B17 requires looking after and the Cambium fell apart after one year and Brooks wouldn't help out.

Keen to try some other saddles and hear what works for others. Though IMHO saddles are such a marmite subject, as we all seem to prefer different things.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Hi,
I use an Ergon SM Pro and I am yet to be convinced. I recently did 4 days and roughly 380Km on it day after day and was still a bit sore, but I had just changed from a Brooks cambium which almost killed me after 1 day, so maybe I need to just toughen up or get used to it, of all the saddles I've had it does feel the most promising.
Saddles are such a personal thing and I think you just have to find one that works, I always buy second hand saddles for that reason, doesn't feel too bad when I chuck them in the bike spares box.

I do like ones with the perineal cut out and would always recommend them.