Rear Light recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moff

Rear Light recommendations

Post by Moff »

Lost my rear light at the weekend, was clipped over the straps of my Wildcat seat harness and looking for something to replace it - any recommendations?
Would like to mount it on the straps as before, ideally USB chargeable.
Old one was a Leyzne unit that a strap/hem clip plus the rubber frame strap, was using both to try an secure it.
PaulB2

Re: Rear Light recommendations

Post by PaulB2 »

I can't help with the recommendations but I've lost 4 lights while clipped to the wildcat seat harness straps so I've given up on that approach. I've lost a moon, 2 lezynes and a bontrager. They all had a very similar clip arrangement but they've all bounced off.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

FWE - https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/fwe/l ... e=93263303 Evans only seem to have the set at the mo but I've bought the rear on its own. The clip is pretty solid and not lost it yet (on the bike - the thing is that small I keep losing it in the house!)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm very impressed with the Guee Mini-R ... I find the 'all round' right gets you noticed. Not designed for attaching to a strap though.

Speaking of straps - when I do clip a light to a strap, I find the simple addition of some tape over the bottom of the clip prevents loss :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scud

Post by Scud »

Been using one of these, very bright and best of all comes with 3 different mounts, so can easily mount to the stays below rear bag, or can clip onto the loop on back of most bags with the variety of mounts.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/moon-nebula-rear-light-1
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I tend to just buy ones from ebay/China* as you get similar to what is linked here for under fiver
I think it depends on what you want the light for - to be seen at night of road or road or to give daylight flash in low light or last for 4 days etc
I have a number of different types for differnt scenarios and most cost about £2 to buy
None have actually broken though I have lost one the same way you have

* Main gripe is there are thousands so you spend ages tryingn to workout lumens and run times then the cheapest etc
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

We have Moon lights on the bike and cheapo Chinese ones on our helmets as a bit of extra. I have given up putting the light on the saddle pack and now put it on the seat stays, hence the helmet light as a high-level back up.

The other night we were out in the forest - pitch black and Joe's front light had conked out so I had given him mine and was plodding along behind him in the dark. We were going through a bit of thick, wet mud - really gloopy stuff. In the dark I saw the mud glowing red and pulsing - it was very weird and other-worldly. I bent down and dug someone's rear light out of the gloop - it must have been getting on for 10cm down. :lol: I have lost a lot of rear lights over the years but this was the first time I have ever found one. I think Joe must have hit the on button as he passed over it.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Put lights on your seat stays, not on the pack - out of the rain/spray from your back wheel if you don't have a mudguard, less blinding for other riders, less faff if you're putting the pack on and off

Make sure if faces back, not diagonally up and it's great
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIJOFLASH ... 3w-flasher

Got 12hrs worth of flashing out one of these.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Widely available for £3-5 on ebay with free posting and the same level of customer support :lol:
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

Haha, I bought them in a sale and got free postage, pre-lockdown mind.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The only time one should ever use them :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I managed to pick this one up cheap and have the bigger version of it from before https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/l ... rear-light

One on the rear seat stay where it joins the seattube and other (little one shown above) on helmet. I think they have a run time of over 24 hours with decent output...

Bonty et al claim they designed it to be seen from over a mile away but not be blinding... According to reports from mates it's accurate enough...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:56 pm I managed to pick this one up cheap and have the bugger version of it from before
Does it swear at you angrily and then turn on and off when it fancies?
redefined_cycles

benp1 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:58 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:56 pm I managed to pick this one up cheap and have the bugger version of it from before
Does it swear at you angrily and then turn on and off when it fancies?
Lol... Edit coming through. Might aswell add the bigger version aswell so well... erm... :smile:
redefined_cycles

https://bermstyle.com/review-bontrager- ... taillight/

Think I paid about 40 for it in 2018 so, thus far I'm on £20/year. Both are daybright aswell and both usb charegeable. This one actually came back from the dead as I lost it last year for over 3 months after that there Welsh ride...
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Hi All, new on here! Used one of these for few years now and works well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-BIKE-BALL ... 2849920374

Sorry I'll get my coat! :oops:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
RIP

Post by RIP »

AndreR wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:21 pm Hi All, new on here! Used one of these for few years now and works well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-BIKE-BALL ... 2849920374

Sorry I'll get my coat! :oops:

Put your coat back on, we have a winner! Excellent post - didn't take you long to get the measure of This Place did it :-bd . Am hugely tempted. I like how it's "unused and undamaged item in original packaging". "Turn them on and off with a gentle squeeze" - oh per-leeeeaaase! :grin: . "Splash resistant", yes well, I think that's enough of that :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Intrigued by this bit though: "Please allow 1-3 CM differs due to manual measurement". Manual measurement? Calling Rich3rd! Profanisaurus lookup urgently required!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Looks like a pretty reliable method of attachment, even on bag straps. Unlikely we'd hear any complaints of folk having discovered their balls had dropped mid-ride.
RIP

Post by RIP »

X_X :YMAPPLAUSE:

I'll now have to go off and watch Sir Henry at Rawlinson End (*) again. I need another fix of savouring the excellent J G Devlin playing Sir Henry's factotum: "Old Scrotum", the wrinkled retainer.......

(*) No? One of the best fillums ever sort-of-made; by the peerless Sir Vivian Stanshall, my hero. "English as tuppence, as changeless as canal water, towered and turreted Rawlinson End nuzzles in damp and downy vales. Squatting o’er his suppurating piles, avast Sir Henry: feudal reactionary stuck-in-the-muddle ages, gleefully unloading lead-shot into the arse of progress".. Shakespeare?.... Thomas?.... who?.....
Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm assuming Stu will be doing a suitably-worded review at some point.