Battery powered light recommendations?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Battery powered light recommendations?

Post by Shewie »

As per the title really, any recommendations for front lights that take AA's preferably

I've already got one with a rechargable cell but it won't last for the duration of a trip I have coming up, ideally I'd like something with a decent output but which takes easily available batteries.

Looked at dynamo options but they're too spendy and I can't really justify that kind of spend.
benp1

Re: Battery powered light recommendations?

Post by benp1 »

To be honest, they're all a bit rubbish

Hope Vision 1 (I think)
Philips Saferide something (good on road, rubbish off road)

There's just not enough power in an AA battery to do anything useful with. Why the push for easily available batteries? I know people mention this all the time but personally I've never needed to buy more

You could buy a 2AA torch and strap it on with a lockblock
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

benp1 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:13 pm To be honest, they're all a bit rubbish

Hope Vision 1 (I think)

There's just not enough power in an AA battery to do anything useful with. Why the push for easily available batteries? I know people mention this all the time but personally I've never needed to buy more

I've got an Alpkit jobby, Hadron I think, it's okay but I don't think it'll last me the week, then I'm just lugging dead weight around. I'm not really intending to night ride much but you never know. I thought if there was something decent available I could just pick up some AA's on my way.

I'll probably just take my Zebralights and maybe the Nitecore to see me through
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Shewie wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:34 pm
benp1 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:13 pm To be honest, they're all a bit rubbish

Hope Vision 1 (I think)

I've got an Alpkit jobby, Hadron I think, it's okay but I don't think it'll last me the week, then I'm just lugging dead weight around. I'm not really intending to night ride much but you never know. I thought if there was something decent available I could just pick up some AA's on my way.

I'll probably just take my Zebralights and maybe the Nitecore to see me through
ZLs and Nitecores are good lights, if you can carry spare batteries for those you should be onto a winner, whether they 18650, AA or other powered

A smaller bike light that you could recharge might also be an option.
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Would a headtorch not satisfy most of these requirements? I have used my alpkit gamma with three AAA. It has rechargeable ones in for almost all the time from home short trips so is not just disposable batteries. Lasts a full night on low but also ok for teckie on full blast, admittedly it is mildly limiting at 300 lumen but possible to ride a bike.

If it really needed to be mounted on the bike then that is a practical solvable problem.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I used to ride with Fenix torches and lockblox years ago. Were good, took AA (x2) and kicked out enough light for middling riding. PD200?

Alternatively a powerbank with a connector / converter to charge lights. Or Exposure stuff. Neither of these will work unless you've got access to a plug at some point (cafes?).
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

What capacity is your current lights battery and how many times would you need to recharge it. Could be perfectly doable for a few days with a USB battery pack for not much expense.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have an 18650 rechargeable battery if you wish to borrow Shewie. Its 3500 and charged via a usb port...
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:54 pm I have an 18650 rechargeable battery if you wish to borrow Shewie. Its 3500 and charged via a usb port...
Hey Shaf, thanks for the offer but I do have a pile of 18650's (mostly from my vape mods) One of my Zebralights takes an 18650 battery but I don't like wearing it much, it's a lot heavier on the head than my old 200 lumen H51 which takes a single AA lithium and lasts a good few days on winter hikes.

I think I'm going to charge up the Hadron but try not to use it unless I need to, I'm probably only going to need light to find somewhere to chuck down a bivvy, or if it gets a bit dog soldiery in the Argyll woods
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

No worries... you know I'm only down the road if you ever need owt at short notice to use/borrow :smile:
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:24 pm No worries... you know I'm only down the road if you ever need owt at short notice to use/borrow :smile:
Thanks mate :-bd