Netherlands routes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Netherlands routes

Post by Scud »

I've a mate who is currently based in Hook of Holland as an engineer on a Saudi gin palace ship being built there and has suggested meeting up for a bivvy trip. He is very much a roadie but has treated himself to a BTwin gravel bike for knocking around on.

Anyone know of any good off-road gravel routes over there, been researching online, but can't really find too much, ideally for 2-3 days?

Or any areas that would be best i can look at and plot a route, not a country i know well as i have a habit of keep aiming towards Belgium for the Ardennes and the beer...

Thanks
Borderer

Re: Netherlands routes

Post by Borderer »

As far as I can tell from when I've ridden there, Holland is one big cow pasture, crisscrossed by canals and paved bike paths.
Scud

Post by Scud »

I've ridden through it before but either to get to Belgium or France, and wandered if there were any interesting areas to explore, other than the cities themselves.. i do seem to be drawing a bit of a blank really!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

My wife did a few days touring straight from Hook of Holland North on the North Sea Cycle Route which I think is the Eurovelo Route 12 thing that ends up in Norway! She said it was surprisingly hilly and scenic, she stayed in hostals as is allergic to roughing it but I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities for sleeping among the sand dunes.
ton

Post by ton »

me and the good lady had a week in holland this time last year. intentions were to do a bit of offroad exploring.
i dont think there is much.
But the cycling infrastructure is so bloody amazing, we spent 3 days riding on the smallest quietest lanes and paths i have ever ridden.
camping spots everywhere.
and the sand dune paths on the coast are very up and down and are massive. loads of spots for wild camping amongst them.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Scud

Post by Scud »

Thanks all.

hamish that looks the job, need to try and piece together their route and see if i can find them on Strava or similar
Scud

Post by Scud »

Found the route for that one Hamish:

https://www.komoot.com/tour/259470882
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Scud wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:07 pm Found the route for that one Hamish:

https://www.komoot.com/tour/259470882
Great. It looks fun. I have toured with kids in the NL which was really good. I would like to try that offroad route some time.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

No matter how many times I look at the title it reads "Neanderthals Routes".

If anyone is actually looking for those then Wotsits is probably the closest thing we have on here - he has a small brain, a thick skull, a lot of hair on the back of his hands and communicates in monosyllabic grunts.
Scud

Post by Scud »

@inreverse that made me chuckle, as an ex-rugby prop forward of a man, with hairy XXL gloved hands, it takes me two cups of coffee to get from amoeba to any where near Neanderthal, let alone human..