Down Quilts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Down Quilts

Post by Boab »

As I now have a new job, I can probably afford to buy a down quilt, rather than making my own. Which means that if I can get hold of one in the next few days, I can use it for this months BAM on Thursday night. I know the general recommendation on here is to buy a Cumulus one of some sort, with the Quilt 250 generally being favoured as more flexible. I have read a few previous posts on the matter, especially the Cumulus vs Thermarest Recommendations and have spent the last few hours on the interwebs.

I can't find anywhere with either the Thermarest Vesper 32 UL Down Quilt, or the Cumulus Quilt 250, in stock, or available for immediate delivery.

Going lighter, I quite like the look of the Thermarest Vesper 45 UL Down Quilt, in comparison to the Cumulus Quilt 150, but it appears to be out of stock everywhere. Plus the only place I can find a Cumulus Quilt 150 is at Rock + Run.

Spreading the net slightly wider, I quite like the look of the Rab Neutrino 200 Down Quilt, which handily sits between the Cumulus Quilt 150 and 250, in terms of the amount of down, although it's 800 fill power, rather than 850. For the record, the quilt will pair with my Exped DownMat Lite 5 M, and I plan to buy and wear a full merino base layer too.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for quilts to look at? Or, does anyone know where has a Cumulus Quilt 250 in stock, that I could have delivered by Wednesday...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Borderer

Re: Down Quilts

Post by Borderer »

I think you should hang fire for a few days if you can as from what I understand, Stu is going to be listing some Cumulus stuff in the shop here very soon.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Personally, though I understand the urgent urge for gear, I would drop the "immediately available" criteria :cool: It's the least important and whatever you buy wants to be *right* and is likely to be a longterm investment in a pretty fundamental piece of kit. To compromise that for an arbitrary, short term deadline seems a poor choice.

:cool:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bob... I'd go with what Bridget said and also take plenty of time as it's a big investment. I'm in a similar situation after experimenting with the Hyperlamina sythetic bag, a cumulus 350, Sierra Designs 725 grade down bag as well as my best ever which was a PHD 6etc...

Luckily I got most on offer or used from here at good value. But if you're paying full whack then hopefully take the time and get it right. Another option you might have overlooked is the Tundra range of bags (I'm eyeing em up as well as what Stu will be having in stock soon). I'm certainly gonna ensure this is hopefully the last bag I buy as it might cost me circa £300 (forks on sale as well as a whole heap of other stuff to fund it :smile: )...
redefined_cycles

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:30 pm Personally, though I understand the urgent urge for gear, I would drop the "immediately available" criteria :cool: It's the least important and whatever you buy wants to be *right* and is likely to be a longterm investment in a pretty fundamental piece of kit. To compromise that for an arbitrary, short term deadline seems a poor choice.

:cool:
Snap
Boab

Post by Boab »

Borderer wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:27 pm I think you should hang fire for a few days if you can as from what I understand, Stu is going to be listing some Cumulus stuff in the shop here very soon.
I thought he was listing Criterion, not Cumulus...?
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:30 pm Personally, though I understand the urgent urge for gear, I would drop the "immediately available" criteria :cool: It's the least important and whatever you buy wants to be *right* and is likely to be a longterm investment in a pretty fundamental piece of kit. To compromise that for an arbitrary, short term deadline seems a poor choice.
I totally get what you're saying, but due to knackering my front roll dry bag, and my half frame bag, I don't have the same capacity for this trip as I would normally. I have a new mat and tent, so they are lighter and more packable than what I started with, but it's the sleeping bag that's the really large and bulky item. If I could get a lightweight packable quilt, then I have enough storage with my existing bags, so would be fine.

The options appear to be to have a play with bags, straps and hydration bladders (due to my old Lomo frame bag covering both the bottle cages on my gravel bike), to see if I can somehow fit my existing kit to the bike. Or, buy a lightweight quilt and get everything into the large saddle bag, with the extras in stems cells, etc.

I suppose the main question I'm asking is, does anyone know where I can get a Cumulus Quilt 250 from in the next few days...? If not, would I be daft to get the Quilt 150, or the Rab Neutrino 200, one of which I'll probably want for next summer anyway.
Last edited by Boab on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Bob... yeah, when I wss looking about it did seem alot of options were out of stock(and still seem to be) Is this anh good to you

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ilt-p13909
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Criterion is the new Cumulus in the UK. Or Cumulus is the new Criterion. Or something. I don't understand. But it is. I think.

As above, wait till you can find the thing you want. And for me, I'd go the Criterion/Cumulus route and in the grand tradition of recommending what you bought, I'd opt for the 350. It's a packet of fag papers heavier and you will not notice the extra bulk unless you're ruining it my stuffing it into a 5l dry bag.

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... d=53&vid=7
I'm just going outside ...
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Might be cheaper and easier to get a new drybag sent out this week and then take your time over the quilt?
Boab

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:07 pm Bob... yeah, when I wss looking about it did seem alot of options were out of stock(and still seem to be) Is this anh good to you

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ilt-p13909
I sleep warm, apart from my toes, so had sort of discounted that one as being too warm. I'd rather go lighter and supplement with clothes, but given the weather forecast for Thursday night, 11°C, I think a Quilt 150 would be fine.
yourguitarhero wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:48 pm Might be cheaper and easier to get a new drybag sent out this week and then take your time over the quilt?
Totally, however... 🙄 It doesn't actually fit properly between my bars, see this thread for details. I could buy a barrel bag, plus fork cages and bags, but that's essentially the same price as a Quilt 150, give or take a tenner; and Alpkit are out of black Betonga's, and I'm not buying red...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:27 pm
Criterion is the new Cumulus in the UK. Or Cumulus is the new Criterion. Or something. I don't understand. But it is. I think.

As above, wait till you can find the thing you want. And for me, I'd go the Criterion/Cumulus route and in the grand tradition of recommending what you bought, I'd opt for the 350. It's a packet of fag papers heavier and you will not notice the extra bulk unless you're ruining it my stuffing it into a 5l dry bag.

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... d=53&vid=7
I believe, though happy to be corrected that Cumulus was the name of two separate firms, one English and the other Polish. Both making outdoor products, including down bags.

Cumulus in the UK became Criterion. Cumulus in Poland stayed Cumulus.

Both have been involved with quilts. Criterion only made one model and it is currently not stocked/ listed. Cumulus (Poland) is the one that most in here are talking about when it comes to the 150 / 250 / 350 etc quilts.

Back to the OP. Quilts are dead easy to vent and therefore use a higher rated one in warmer times, moreso than full bags. I would get the 250 at least as it would be one piece of kit that does most UK conditions.

None of which helps you get something by Wednesday. Then again I'd just grab a backpack, make do with existing and buy the right one at leisure 😉

Only source of Cumullus I can think of might be Andy ?? in Aviemore. EDIT - Scotroutes knows / often mentions him. Think he also does a lot of packraft stuff.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:19 pm
Only source of Cumullus I can think of might be Andy ?? in Aviemore. EDIT - Scotroutes knows / often mentions him. Think he also does a lot of packraft stuff.
Andy Toop, Backcountry Scot:
https://backcountry.scot/
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Originally, Cumulus had an agreement with Criterion for them distribute Cumulus quilts in the UK under the Criterion brand.

I know this because I wanted a custom Cumulus quilt (down comforter)about 6 years ago from Cumulus but couldn’t get one as at that time, the agreement they had with Criterion meant that Criterion were the sole UK distributor.

It was annoying as I ended up just getting the standard ‘down comforter’ from an EU supplier which turned out to be too narrow (the custom option I wanted was a wider version). I ended up getting an Enlightened Revelation from the US - its been fantastic and I can’t fault it at all.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:19 pm Back to the OP. Quilts are dead easy to vent and therefore use a higher rated one in warmer times, moreso than full bags. I would get the 250 at least as it would be one piece of kit that does most UK conditions.

None of which helps you get something by Wednesday. Then again I'd just grab a backpack, make do with existing and buy the right one at leisure 😉
I get the feeling that I'm going to have to have a play with my existing sleeping bag and my meger collection of bags.
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:19 pm Only source of Cumullus I can think of might be Andy ?? in Aviemore. EDIT - Scotroutes knows / often mentions him. Think he also does a lot of packraft stuff.
I don't think he's had any for a while.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

How tall are you OP? The Cumulus aren't quite long enough if you're 6' or over. I really wish I'd got a custom one made with an extra baffle. They're a great bit of kit though.
Boab

Post by Boab »

In Reverse wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:41 pm How tall are you OP? The Cumulus aren't quite long enough if you're 6' or over. I really wish I'd got a custom one made with an extra baffle. They're a great bit of kit though.
Not tall enough! 🤣
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

K1100T wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:06 pm
In Reverse wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:41 pm How tall are you OP? The Cumulus aren't quite long enough if you're 6' or over. I really wish I'd got a custom one made with an extra baffle. They're a great bit of kit though.
Not tall enough! 🤣
I think they lengthened them a few years ago as I had this discussion last year. They stopped doing custom length and lengthened the standard one I think. I'm 6'1" and the 150 is plenty long enough. Also warm enough down to about 5 degrees.
labrat

Post by labrat »

I’m surprised there isn’t a greater market for synthetic quilts rather than down

I notice that in America, Snugpak are selling a bigger version of their travel blanket: https://snugpakusa.com/product.php?id=41. (I have the original one, and it’s too small to tuck under properly like a real woobie,, plus the linings seem to separate really easily)

And also a softie blanket: https://snugpakusa.com/product.php?id=159 (Which, If is the same weight/insulation as my years old sleek a jacket, would be perfect)

I’ve looked at the Kifaru Woobie and Doobie - but they are just *so* expensive in the UK. Jerven bags expensive too, and not breathable.

What I think I’d really like is a snugpak sleeka weight blanket with a breathable/gore tex outer layer,
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I believe, though happy to be corrected that Cumulus was the name of two separate firms, one English and the other Polish. Both making outdoor products, including down bags.

That's pretty much it. Criterion do have a quilt in their line up but new stocks aren't expected for a while yet. There should also be (hopefully) a couple of other quilt models arriving early next year.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:24 pm

That's pretty much it. Criterion do have a quilt in their line up but new stocks aren't expected for a while yet. There should also be (hopefully) a couple of other quilt models arriving early next year.
Cool :cool: more quilts is :-bd