Recording an ITT

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Recording an ITT

Post by ootini »

I've yet to do an "ITT" in any competitive sense, I prefer to take my time and relax, however it's always a possibility I guess.
With that in mind im curious as to how you record an ITT attempt. Im assuming Strava is the app of choice, but how do you record over multiple days?
Do you stop the days recording each night, charge the phone to ensure it stays on with cache data intact and resume in the morning?
Or stop and finish/sync that days recording, thus allowing the option of the phone powering off and charge over night?
In Reverse

Re: Recording an ITT

Post by In Reverse »

Recording the track on a Garmin/other GPS device is the easiest way. Just turn it off overnight and back on in the morning then start recording again. Carries on recording as a single activity until you stop and save.

If you're using Strava on a phone you can stop the Strava recording and as long as you haven't pressed "Finish" you can start up again when you're back on the move. You can turn the phone off too if you wanted and Strava starts recording again where you left off when it's switched back on.

I'm reluctant to rely on a phone to do everything - navigate/record track/be an alarm clock/be a phone/be a camera - as if that dies you're scuppered. Either have a phone and GPS unit or a phone and another phone.

I prefer to record as a single activity as you can easily see the "Elapsed time" on Strava so everyone can see how slow I was.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Ahhhh I think this is the bit I was unsure of.
You can turn the phone off too if you wanted and Strava starts recording again where you left off when it's switched back on.
Thanks
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's worth experimenting before you head off somewhere.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ootini wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:01 am Ahhhh I think this is the bit I was unsure of.
You can turn the phone off too if you wanted and Strava starts recording again where you left off when it's switched back on.
Thanks
Just to add to this... If you ensure you don't move and start from another location. Then in between the sleep, or if you're having recording device issues and needed to save one leg of the ride. Then when you eneded up with 2 or more seperate gpx recordings/strava uploads. You can easily go into the Strava linked site which allows to 'knit' both pieces together and it uploads it as one whole ride and total elapsed time becomes less of an issue...

For example this ride of mine, I had to save near Reg-town... Had an hours break then restarted the Wahoo. But managed to attach both sections (175 + 45 ish) and it showed as one piece accurately...

https://strava.app.link/UPKapqVwK9

Started riding at 0530ish and arrived in Ilford about 0730 (I forget figures properly) and it did a superb job. Here's more info...

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/art ... _site=true

Just be careful you keep a saved copy of original bits as you have to delete the original files from Strava before doing so...